Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
Did you notice this ?

I noticed the wobble scroll in the shop too with the 13 inch , which has me on the fence whether to pick it up or not. I’m yet to try out the 11 inch which ill be getting , if i see something similar, I may hold off my purchase

makrumor

macrumors member
May 8, 2024
I dont see any wobbling effect on my device either. It's like with any other OLED.

The video shows terrible pixel transition times aka ghosting, probably just recorded that way. Actually it looks exactly how scrolling looked like on mini LED iPads prior to OLED.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
Seems limited to that websites bad code. Not the iPad itself. I can’t replicate the issue.
Can you post a video of slow scrolling on any website which has a black background and white text ?

My guess is that the led takes a while to switch off to display it’s black

makrumor

macrumors member
May 8, 2024
Can you post a video of slow scrolling on any website which has a black background and white text ?

It's one of first things I checked on OLED after years with mini LED 12,9. Text is miles clearer in motion but it's still a little bit blurry on black/white scenarios. OLED-worthy but not any ground-breaking stuff.

I'm waiting for some in-depth reviews of screens used this year.

Last edited:

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
It's one of first things I checked on OLED after years with mini LED 12,9. Text is miles clearer in motion but it's still a little bit blurry on black/white scenarios. OLED-worthy but not any ground-breaking stuff.

I'm waiting for some in-depth reviews of screens used this year.

That’s very true!

I hated the response time of the iPad Pro M2. I was hoping for amazing motion this time , was disappointed when i saw that it’s still noticeably blurry. Even though it was far better than the M2

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
Which bad code is causing it?
I’m a professional developer , I guess he doesn’t know what he’s talking about , bad code cannot cause that . You can take any instance of a black background and white text you’ll see this issue regardless of the website

User4873

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I just want to add my experience to this.
I got the 11 inch pro M4 this week to replace my 2018 11 inch pro.
I very quickly noticed the terrible double vision when scrolling. I find it most obvious on the Facebook app but it’s very visible in Safari and elsewhere.
After using the tablet for a while I notice slight eye strain and my eyes take a while to adjust when looking elsewhere afterwards. I’ve tried playing with the settings but I’m currently considering returning it.
Yes I am a new user here but I am being genuine. I loved my aged 2018 pro and I was expecting the replacement to be better not worse. :(

Reactions: nzxred

makrumor

macrumors member
May 8, 2024
After using the tablet for a while I notice slight eye strain and my eyes take a while to adjust when looking elsewhere afterwards. I’ve tried playing with the settings but I’m currently considering returning it.
It might be getting used to factor, but given it's a whole different technology than LED + subpixel layout novelty I won't be surprised it bothers some people to the point of returning. Can't fool the eyes in the long term.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
I just want to add my experience to this.
I got the 11 inch pro M4 this week to replace my 2018 11 inch pro.
I very quickly noticed the terrible double vision when scrolling. I find it most obvious on the Facebook app but it’s very visible in Safari and elsewhere.
Yes I am a new user here but I am being genuine. I loved my aged 2018 pro and I was expecting the replacement to be better not worse. :(
I’m sorry to hear this, double scroll is a good way of describing this

Reactions: User4873

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
That’s very true!

I hated the response time of the iPad Pro M2. I was hoping for amazing motion this time , was disappointed when i saw that it’s still noticeably blurry. Even though it was far better than the M2
Most blur is sample-and-hold motion blur. The blur comes from your eyes moving across the text, not from the switching speed of the display. The only way to fix that is to have extremely high refresh rates or strobing the display on and off at the refresh rate of the display.

Reactions: klasma and makrumor

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
Most blur is sample-and-hold motion blur. The blur comes from your eyes moving across the text, not from the switching speed of the display. The only way to fix that is to have extremely high refresh rates or strobing the display on and off at the refresh rate of the display.
So you’re saying that our eyes are the problem and not the iPad ?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Jelly Scroll is on all iPads and iPhones now in different orientations. The extent you see it varies and it depends how sensitive to it you are. I most definitely can see it on the OLED iPad 11” in portrait mode (120hz display is only smoothing it).

User4873

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I returned mine. I’m not sure I can tolerate the new OLED screen. Plus I was compiling a list of other issues with it. Shame. :(

• Sad
Reactions: jimmy_uk

User4873

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
Care to elaborate ??
My main issue was the screen, I noticed a double vision effect when scrolling at speeds that I would still expect to be able to read at. Also I had trouble adjusting the the oled dimming (PWM), the image never appeared real or solid, it was harsh, too bright and (how to describe?…) fizzy? shimmering? My 2018 pro has a perfect picture, more like reading a book than a screen.
A few other random issues I picked up in my 5 days of owning. It occasionally refused to “swipe up to unlock”. When turning the volume down using the control centre it would turn the volume back up again to a random level. One pop up window shook violently left and right! 🤷‍♂️. Infrequently it would go to standby during use.
I hope that all makes sense.
The PWM was enough reason alone to return it, the rest was just taunting me.

Reactions: jonnyb098

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
So I got to try out a 11 inch and unlike my earlier comments on the 13 inch , it was far better in my eye .

The wobble scroll was almost unnoticeable and it was less glossy and it felt a lot more HDR ish .

Now a lot of users have reported that every single unit varies from the next , maybe I just got to see an amazing unit.

I’m gonna be picking up the M4 post June 10th and I hope and pray I get a unit which is as good as the one I saw in the shop the other day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.