Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Well in the UK (as my previous post), it has gone up £250 each time.
And considering the base model is more expensive than the US version (damn exchange rate), it's even more expensive over here....:mad:
Increases due to exchange rate are a different story.. As someone living in Switzerland I have been somewhat protected, but in the nearby EU the prices are just crazy, but again nothing to do with OLED

PS the USD is at a 5-month low vs the EUR and with the Fed cutting rates faster than elsewhere this trend is not expected to change. So things should be a bit better for Europe for the next Apple announcements (the CHF is strong too fortunately for me...)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Ah, I see. The huge price increase has been rumored for years, but the same has been said for the last iPhone and the price has barely increased, so… maybe Apple is testing the waters or preparing people to expect a super expensive device, and then a $1000 or $1200 will seem cheap.

What I’d personally do, I’d use the current Pro technology (pro-Motion LCD display, M2, base 128GB, Face ID) and use it for a slightly more expensive Air line.
Unrealistic price rumors have been a thing since the first iPad, which was rumored to be $1000 and ended up being $500 so everyone was happy about how "cheap" it was. With Miniled too we had several hundred dollars of increse rumored and it ended up being only $100 more.

As for the Air, no Apple won't do that, I could bet anything on that. No promotion and no face-id. M2 is a given and storage is very possible, but again with some price increase.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Apple realise the more the price creeps up, the smaller the market becomes. Sometimes more people using your product is more important than topping up the profit in the short term.

They want the large number of devices out there because of the continuous - and substantial - revenue flow they generate in the App Store. Make the devices affordable and then rake in the dollars on content. Less devices = fewer apps purchased.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I don’t think so. The whole point of the upcoming update is to increase sales. If they go overboard with the pricing then what would be the point?

What is great about America is we both can believe what we want. The point is that the OLED screen cost much more for Apple from the supplier So Apple has to pass it on. I am done here.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
They want the large number of devices out there because of the continuous - and substantial - revenue flow they generate in the App Store. Make the devices affordable and then rake in the dollars on content. Less devices = fewer apps purchased.
Yup so they'll always try to offer a low bottom rung on their pricing ladder and then catch consumers on multiple steps up in storage capacity and feature sets. Base model Macs with small SSDs and the seemingly exponential cost increase with each step up in SSD capacity comes to mind.

DaveCummings

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020
I think whatever price increase, it’s going to be masked by upgrading storage or something like that, like they did with the iphones or hell, like when they did going from the M2 to M3 MacBook Pros the 13in M2 w/Touchbar went from $1299 to $1599 with the 14 in M3 MacBook Pros, but the base model storage also went from 256 gb to 512

Reactions: AlexMac89

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
From what I remember (in the UK), the M1 iPad Pro was £999 (~£250+ from previous), then the M2 ~£250+ again.

Thank Brexit and whatnot, but in the US the base 12.9 Pro went up only 100$ with the M1 and stayed the same for the M2.

Increases due to exchange rate are a different story.

Exactly.

I highly doubt the base will go up more than 100$ this time as well. The difference between OLED and miniLED is not that big anyways.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, Samsung make similar panels... but this will be the first display panel ranging from 1-120hz (supposedly). Previous Samsung panels started at 60hz.

So, technically... this will be new.

Samsung updated the screens in the tab S9 series, so they run from 30-120hz. Still not as good as 1hz though 🙁

Their phones supposedly do support 1hz, so I wouldn't be surprised if the S10 did

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyTab/comments/15f9ijb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.