Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meldea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right now, the FAA allows portable electronic devices, like tablets and e-readers, to be used during all phases of domestic US flights. Is there any reason to think that the iPad Pro, when used without the keyboard, will be considered too large, and that we'll be asked to stow it during takeoff and landing?

I've only found anecdotal information that passengers have been able to use a Surface Pro 3 at all times. However, the SP3 is only a 12" screen (compared to the iPad Pro's 12.9" display).

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Right now, the FAA allows portable electronic devices, like tablets and e-readers, to be used during all phases of domestic US flights. Is there any reason to think that the iPad Pro, when used without the keyboard, will be considered too large, and that we'll be asked to stow it during takeoff and landing?

I've only found anecdotal information that passengers have been able to use a Surface Pro 3 at all times. However, the SP3 is only a 12" screen (compared to the iPad Pro's 12.9" display).
My guess is that the Pro will be treated much like an iPad before it because it is an iPad. But with its size, I could see the FAA treating the iPad Pro like the Surface or a Macbook.

How does the FAA deal with Samsungs mega tablet? That would be where the precedent would already be established and thats how they would probably deal with the Pro.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

The iPad Pro is big enough to surf down the escape slide!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.