Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hollyrichards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Hi all. I currently have an iPad 5th generation, which does work ok but I just feel it’s time for an upgrade. I’ll be using the iPad for university, I do have a laptop but want an iPad that can be used in a similar way. I’m looking at the iPad Air 4 and the iPad Pro 2020 and can’t really decide which one to get, the iPad Pro is obviously £160 more expensive so I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra money or not. I also am aware that there may be a new iPad Pro in March so maybe it’s worth waiting for that one? I’m not a very good with tech stuff so really not sure what to get!

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
If you’re able to manage with 64gb of storage, get the iPad Air. It’s a fast, responsive, great product. Use the difference for either an Apple Pencil or go towards some keyboard solution.

The items that people comment about the Pro: more RAM, ProMotion, and the quad speakers are definitely nice to have, but if you are budget constrained or conscious, you’ll get more functionality from your iPad with additional peripheries like Pencil or a keyboard

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi all. I currently have an iPad 5th generation, which does work ok but I just feel it’s time for an upgrade. I’ll be using the iPad for university, I do have a laptop but want an iPad that can be used in a similar way. I’m looking at the iPad Air 4 and the iPad Pro 2020 and can’t really decide which one to get, the iPad Pro is obviously £160 more expensive so I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra money or not. I also am aware that there may be a new iPad Pro in March so maybe it’s worth waiting for that one? I’m not a very good with tech stuff so really not sure what to get!
I would go with the iPad Air 4.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Since you asked about waiting, that implies this would be a “want” vs “need” purchase, if so then the answer always is why spend the money now if you don’t need to. i Just sold my 12.9 after purchasing a M1 Air. Found a used 2019 iPad Air, not in the same class as the 12.9 but it does what I need it for.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m looking at the iPad Air 4 now too. Liking the fact it’s all screen and with TouchID in the button. I never store much on my iPad either so 64GB is double the storage I currently have. I was hoping to see a few new year deals but these things seem to be price fixed in the UK at the mo.

Reactions: snipr125

Anteater23

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2020
I’m looking at the iPad Air 4 now too. Liking the fact it’s all screen and with TouchID in the button. I never store much on my iPad either so 64GB is double the storage I currently have. I was hoping to see a few new year deals but these things seem to be price fixed in the UK at the mo.
Does your iPad Air have backlight bleed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.