Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if I could get your suggestion on this question that I have and can't find the right solution.

I play guitar for fun/amateur at home and sometime will bring it to parties.

I am using a 3 ring binder to carry my music sheets and would like to get away from it and use technology.

My plan was to buy an iPad Pro which is the size of a letter paper and could have been very easy to carry around and do even more than just ready my music sheets... I was thinking of getting the forScore software to organize my music sheets.

The other idea was to use a macbook pro but it is 13in and landscape which would be a bit more difficult to read.

I am sure that there are cases for iPad Pro to use it/stand on portrait.

Any way, if you have any suggestions for me, that would be appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I'm a musicIan but I don't use sheet music, but I've seen quite a few posts by people who do who have bought the iPad Pro mainly for that purpose. If portrait mode is a high priority seems to me the iPad Pro would be best.

Reactions: Cayden

conamor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Thanks nightlong!

Anybody else experienced this question or could guide me in some way?

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I have used my iPad Air 2 for some basic notes along with my MacBook, and the iPad was for sure better. It's easier to transport and, for me, the iPad was easier to deal with changing music. I don't use it much anymore, but I'd say the iPad for sure, especially with the large screen on the Pro

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I use my iPad for music occasionally, but it kind of scares me. I play on stages that people like to jump around on, and often with questionable music stands. As heavy as the pro is..

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I purchased my iPad Pro for one reason: to store sheet music pdfs.

I use ForScore to manage my music and AirTurn pedals to turn the pages (I play the piano).

You will need to scan your music and save the files as PDFs. Adobe makes software that lets you combine groups of PDFs together as a single file. (There may be other software options as well.)

Yes, you'll need a sturdy music stand.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Another vote for ForScore on the iPad Pro. And you can use the pencil to write your piano fingering (or other annotations) straight onto the score.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.