Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sliderbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2015
I just ordered my iPad Pro and am very excited. I use my current Air everyday to teach and the pencil will solve many problems I have with writing and presenting during class. However, I am concerned that the pencil will get lost or damaged during transportation to and from school every day. I am trying to find or create some system for protecting the pencil and the iPad while leaving me free to access both quickly.

Here are my requirements/thoughts:
- The iPad screen needs to be protected. The smart cover or equivalent should be fine as that is all I use currently.
- The pencil needs to be able to be inserted or securely attached to the iPad case/cover. Not just clipped on. I was thinking some sort of elastic sleeve that protects the tip during transport in my bag as well.
- Lastly, I think I should attach the pencil to the iPad case via some sort of string. This will prevent me from loosing it or students from stealing it.

My current idea is to make some sort of sleeve out of elastic and some how sew it to the hinge of a smart cover - it looks like there is a little loose fabric on that side. I could then find a pen with a similar diameter to the Pencil and take off the rubber grip which I could slide over the eraser end of the Pencil and attach a string from that to the elastic sleeve... or something.

I know not many people will have this issue but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

simplygood

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2015
I just placed an iPad Pro order too. I am also looking for a case. All the cases that I found were not designed properly for holding an Apple Pencil!!! I'd like to have a minimalistic style cover that has a secure pencil holder.

Reactions: Nausicaa

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I have an urban armor gear case that I really like. It has a metal kickstand that is wide at the base so it is stable in my lap and has a place for a pencil that works good. A 13" laptop sleeve is a nice addition to put the whole thing in when transporting.

Works for me.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I really miss Apple's full body leatherette cases from the iPad Air. Wish they had something similar instead of the silicone + smart cover combo. Those older cases felt really nice in hand with the soft felt interior to the flip cover.

sliderbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2015
@ssls6 It looks rugged, but too aggressive for me!
Agreed. I don't really need a huge shock resistant case. Just something to protect the screen and pencil. Also the pencil is just clipped to the outside with the tip exposed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.