Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I am quite disappointed with the $799 starting price mainly because that price point puts the iPad Pro into territory where I have to consider if I am going to get that level of use out of it. $599 would've been the sweet spot for me but then I realized Apple isn't intending this to be as much of an impulse purchase for consumers as an iPad Aif or mini: $799 pegs the device as predominantly for prosumers who have a genuine need for it. Either that, or for consumers who are using it as their main device.

$799 feels like a bargain compared to the Mac lineup but I just don't see being able to replace a full computer with a tablet yet. I'd absolutely purchase an iPad Pro and possibly even the keyboard cover if I was a consumer buying it in place of a Mac, but it seems a stretch to complement a $2200 Mac with a $799 tablet unless I truly needed it. While I don't need a $2200 Mac, I do need a Mac (I sincerely doubt I could fully replace by an iPad) and I don't mind paying to enjoy it more. That being said, my iPhone gets the majority of my use ironically and I'd prefer not to have two more expensive devices I barely use in relation.

Even though I started losing interest in the iPad when iPhones got slightly larger screens with the iPhone 5, I'd be open to testing a 12.9" tablet in my workflow but I'm not sure it's worth the $799 gamble that I won't use it for 10-20 hours as I did my Air.

How do you feel about the $799 price?

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
The Pro was never going to start at $599. $100 from the Mini 4 to the Air 2 takes you to a larger display (but the same resolution), and from A8 to A8X. The Pro has an A9X over the Air 2's A8X, double the RAM, four stereo speakers, and a larger, higher resolution display with a more advanced digitiser to support the Pencil.

My expectations based on rumors were that each Pro would be $200 more than its equivalent Air 2, starting at 64GB, so $799 for 64GB and $899 for 128GB. They kinda threw a curveball with the 32/128GB situation, but there is no way that this thing was going to start for $599 unless it was just a larger Air and had a 16GB option. To be honest, if you can't see why it is worth more than $599/699, the Pro features are probably not worth a great deal to you and you may be better off sticking to the Air.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
It's actually cheaper than I expected it to be. For me personally, the difference between $599 and $799 isn't a decisive factor. If I I'll use it enough to justify the $599, I'll use it enough to also justify the $799 (it'll probably be 30%+ more here in Europe).

What I'm less happy about is the $169 for the keyboard and the $99 pencil as that adds another $300 to the package (after the obligatory longer charger cable). I realize that no everyone will need or want those accessories, but for a device like this, and who I believe the intended target audience is, I feel they are less optional than for the smaller iPads.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally I'm interested to see what the price will be for here in the UK. I don't mind spending it for a device I'm going to use daily, it's all down to what the device can do but also what you expect it to do, from the demos shown at the Apple keynote and afterwards (during the hands on) there were some really good uses, even professional use (Adobe using Photoshop Sketch) and I'm sure there will be more professional grade apps appearing in the future. However if you just plan on using the iPad Pro to watch movies and play the odd game, it probably wouldn't be worth it for you.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
It should have been $699 for 32gb, $799 for 64gb and $899 for 128gb. The base of 32gb is borderline criminal for a "Pro" device.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
iPhone 6s Plus is $749 with 16gb. $799 seems pretty reasonable for the iPad Pro.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think $799 is the ideal price, they want it to be positioned as a device that is more capable than the iPad Air 2. The problem is that the $799 device only has 32GB of storage and that is sorry for a "pro" device. A couple "pro" level apps and a few project files and you are done.

The other problem is that the keyboard/pencil are separate purchases. So I would count the real price at $899 as I feel the iPad Pro without pencil is kind of a waste. Then you want the upgraded storage, so we are talking $1049 (with pencil) and you need a keyboard of course (We'll say you don't buy the overpriced apple board, and pay $100) so $1149. Now you are competing in 13" MBP territory, and that is no comparison.

I do agree that an iPad Pro like device will be the future of mobile computing...but that future is not right now.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I think $799 is the ideal price, they want it to be positioned as a device that is more capable than the iPad Air 2. The problem is that the $799 device only has 32GB of storage and that is sorry for a "pro" device. A couple "pro" level apps and a few project files and you are done.
I'd like to know what exactly I can do on an iPad to fill up all that space after only a few projects.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If you spec a Mac Mini on the US store to $799, the same spec on the UK store comes out at £629. So I think £629 seems likely.

I didn't notice that, good find, I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the 128GB Wifi model and the Apple Pencil for £1000 or under, but we will see, Apple tends to price higher than currency conversion.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Put me in the "it was cheaper than I expected" at introduction group. I suspect that it is a prosumer device and appealing to the consumer side primarily to those who want to watch a bigger when watching movies, etc.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'd like to know what exactly I can do on an iPad to fill up all that space after only a few projects.
I think you are getting at iPad not having many pro apps, but lets look at possible scenarios:

Video editing - not a chance on 32GB. The cards I shoot videos on are already 64GB, and I have multiple cameras.

Music - Multiple takes for each instrument/vocalist and you will be out of space after a few songs.

Photography - pretty much the same as video editing, but on a less data heavy scale. Raw files still take up a lot of space.

The problem of course, is that while you can do all the above, they are still artificially limited by software. For music and video you only have iMovie and GarageBand, rather than Final Cut and Logic. For photos there is actually some pretty decent software, but the OS still limits you by not letting apps access raw files.

Honestly I would be willing to pay around $1200 for an iPad Pro that had pro level software and the ability to use external storage devices to get data in and out of the machine.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Yes, I was hoping for a 256GB option. I will be shooting with two cameras along with a Tascam on Saturday and it would be great to use the iPad Pro to download and back-up in the field. I am not really sold on the Wi-Fi external drives at the moment but perhaps they deserve another look.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
In a vacuum, the iPad Pro and peripherals are priced moderately well IMO. If operating within the iOS ecosystem is a requirement, then there is no other option.

But when comparing it to what else is available (Tablets w/keyboard, active pen) that is where it doesn't stack up so well.

When the original iPad was first released, it came out at a mind-blowing price... 1/2 of what the "experts" thought that it would. To this day there is arguably no other tablet with similar build quality and specs at the same price.

It seems that with the iPad Pro, Apple doesn't feel the need to entice consumers (and rightfully so) with an overly attractive price. And it shows. Pricewise it is in the middle of the pack but as far as capabilities/connectivity, not so much.

I've never been one of those "any Pro tablet without a desktop OS is a fail" people. On the contrary, I've had very reasonable expectations for what the iPad Pro could/should be. But Apple fell short of those expectations.

All they had to do was to add mouse support (Bluetooth, keyboard cover w/trackpad, etc.) and could overlook the price of the accessories and be all in.

Reactions: MICHAELSD

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I think you are getting at iPad not having many pro apps, but lets look at possible scenarios:

Video editing - not a chance on 32GB. The cards I shoot videos on are already 64GB, and I have multiple cameras.

Who wants to edit video with their fingers on a tablet? Music? These things seem ergonnomically better served by a laptop or desktop. Design, note taking, illustration--closer to competitive advantage of this product.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Who wants to edit video with their fingers on a tablet? Music? These things seem ergonnomically better served by a laptop or desktop. Design, note taking, illustration--closer to competitive advantage of this product.
I don't see why that would be impossible if the UI was done right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.