Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Picture it. August 10, my birthday. Before I head out for the day to grab lunch with friends, I check online to see if any iPad Pros are in stock. I'm not holding my breath because I've been checking for weeks and there's been nothing in any of the Apple Stores in and around San Diego County. I'm not in dire need of one, it's more of a strong want, and I figured I'll just keep checking rather than buy it online since delivery has consistently been five weeks out. These things are in high demand!

Right after 12 noon I check, and Good Lord, the have the model I want, the Pro 11" 128 wifi in silver, it's unavailable for pickup that day, the two options are pickup the following day, or spend 9 extra bucks for express courier for 2 hour delivery. I figure HOT DAMN so I jump on it, choose the 2 hour delivery and select my business address. I took the day off but it's open and I still have people working for me there. I figure all is well and go out for the day.

Just before 1pm I check the order online and it shows an assigned courier via Postmates, the invoice even shows a device serial number, etc. Name and phone number of the courier are also displayed should I need to get ahold of him for any reason. Exciting! Then around 1:30 I get a text from the courier/driver himself, with the most oddest of requests. Verbatim he wrote, "Hi can you cancel the order somebody else picked up and the order is going around to different carriers." WTF does that even mean? Rather than call him I decide to call Apple and find out what's going on. The nice rep pulled it up and saw that the courier person arrived at the Apple Store, but then that's where the trail ends, within minutes after that, the iPad was marked as returned and an automatic refund was initiated. I get an email notification, it's the PDF copy of the receipt direct from my local Apple Store showing the return and refund to the original form of payment.

Needless to say I'm a little upset. Not at the rep but at the situation. She couldn't tell me what happened, and while I was on hold she contacted the Apple Store and they couldn't tell her either. At any rate, obviously at this point there are no Pro models of any kind available locally, only option is to wait a month plus. I feel defeated, miffed, but hey, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I go about my day with friends and food and drink and have a decent birthday overall.

Fast forward to today, I'm near the Apple Store to get some groceries. They open at 11 and it's a few minutes til, so I figure since I'm in the area, maybe if someone is free to talk to me, they can shed some more light on what happened. The store is only doing appointments and online pickups, but the sales associate out front recognizes me as I go to the store fairly often at least before the pandemic. I explain what happened and she said no problem I can get a manager to talk to you. At 11 when they open she takes me in and gets a manager to come over, and he too recognizes me. I explain the entire nonsense that happened and he apologized to me, he said that they've been having a fair number of issues with the 2 hour express courier service and he wants any and all details of what I experienced because they're collecting information to see if they can streamline the process.

He can only surmise that since there are 3 "systems" involved (Apple online web ordering, Postmates as the courier, and the Apple Store itself), the disconnect probably happened where Apple online assigned the pickup to Postmates, Postmates selects a driver to go get it, but Apple online hasn't yet completely authorized the release of the merchandise from the store. So the driver shows up but the store can't release it without Apple online's say so. He said sometimes the drivers are willing to wait a few minutes, but sometimes the drivers can't wait so they just leave, the driver cancels the order to Postmates who in turn alerts Apple and then a refund gets initiated. The manager again apologized and said there's no excuse for this, and then he says, "Let me see what I can do for you."

He goes away and after a few minutes he comes back with an iPad Pro and says "I did some checking and we have the model you wanted, rather than wait to have one delivered, would you like to buy this one now?" I'm just about floored and say YES PLEASE but then he goes an unexpected step further. He rings it up as an education purchase and throws in a free pair of AirPods, plus he takes an additional $50 off as a courtesy discount for the troubles. I'm simply floored! You gotta love their stellar customer service. I never asked for anything and they go above and beyond to make a customer happy.

IMG_5348.jpeg

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Picture it. August 10, my birthday. Before I head out for the day to grab lunch with friends, I check online to see if any iPad Pros are in stock. I'm not holding my breath because I've been checking for weeks and there's been nothing in any of the Apple Stores in and around San Diego County. I'm not in dire need of one, it's more of a strong want, and I figured I'll just keep checking rather than buy it online since delivery has consistently been five weeks out. These things are in high demand!

Right after 12 noon I check, and Good Lord, the have the model I want, the Pro 11" 128 wifi in silver, it's unavailable for pickup that day, the two options are pickup the following day, or spend 9 extra bucks for express courier for 2 hour delivery. I figure HOT DAMN so I jump on it, choose the 2 hour delivery and select my business address. I took the day off but it's open and I still have people working for me there. I figure all is well and go out for the day.

Just before 1pm I check the order online and it shows an assigned courier via Postmates, the invoice even shows a device serial number, etc. Name and phone number of the courier are also displayed should I need to get ahold of him for any reason. Exciting! Then around 1:30 I get a text from the courier/driver himself, with the most oddest of requests. Verbatim he wrote, "Hi can you cancel the order somebody else picked up and the order is going around to different carriers." WTF does that even mean? Rather than call him I decide to call Apple and find out what's going on. The nice rep pulled it up and saw that the courier person arrived at the Apple Store, but then that's where the trail ends, within minutes after that, the iPad was marked as returned and an automatic refund was initiated. I get an email notification, it's the PDF copy of the receipt direct from my local Apple Store showing the return and refund to the original form of payment.

Needless to say I'm a little upset. Not at the rep but at the situation. She couldn't tell me what happened, and while I was on hold she contacted the Apple Store and they couldn't tell her either. At any rate, obviously at this point there are no Pro models of any kind available locally, only option is to wait a month plus. I feel defeated, miffed, but hey, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I go about my day with friends and food and drink and have a decent birthday overall.

Fast forward to today, I'm near the Apple Store to get some groceries. They open at 11 and it's a few minutes til, so I figure since I'm in the area, maybe if someone is free to talk to me, they can shed some more light on what happened. The store is only doing appointments and online pickups, but the sales associate out front recognizes me as I go to the store fairly often at least before the pandemic. I explain what happened and she said no problem I can get a manager to talk to you. At 11 when they open she takes me in and gets a manager to come over, and he too recognizes me. I explain the entire nonsense that happened and he apologized to me, he said that they've been having a fair number of issues with the 2 hour express courier service and he wants any and all details of what I experienced because they're collecting information to see if they can streamline the process.

He can only surmise that since there are 3 "systems" involved (Apple online web ordering, Postmates as the courier, and the Apple Store itself), the disconnect probably happened where Apple online assigned the pickup to Postmates, Postmates selects a driver to go get it, but Apple online hasn't yet completely authorized the release of the merchandise from the store. So the driver shows up but the store can't release it without Apple online's say so. He said sometimes the drivers are willing to wait a few minutes, but sometimes the drivers can't wait so they just leave, the driver cancels the order to Postmates who in turn alerts Apple and then a refund gets initiated. The manager again apologized and said there's no excuse for this, and then he says, "Let me see what I can do for you."

He goes away and after a few minutes he comes back with an iPad Pro and says "I did some checking and we have the model you wanted, rather than wait to have one delivered, would you like to buy this one now?" I'm just about floored and say YES PLEASE but then he goes an unexpected step further. He rings it up as an education purchase and throws in a free pair of AirPods, plus he takes an additional $50 off as a courtesy discount for the troubles. I'm simply floored! You gotta love their stellar customer service. I never asked for anything and they go above and beyond to make a customer happy.

View attachment 943998
You should write a book about your little adventure. ;)

Reactions: Nautilus007

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
You should write a book about your little adventure. ;)
Haha, apologies for being verbose, I guess I tried too hard not to skip any details. Long story short, be very wary about taking advantage of the express 2 hour courier delivery. Too many hands involved and if they don't all coordinate their dance, you ain't gettin' nothin'! :p

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Came here for the happy ending, left disappointed. ? Glad things worked out for you.

Recently I tried to convince customer service that I needed an upgrade to a 16" as this was a call to schedule my 2017 for its 3rd keyboard replacement but they didn't go for it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
I also had a fantastic CS experience at Apple in SD (Fashion Valley). The rep was apologetic for the delays for appts to get into the store and went way above and beyond on a potential repair and replaced my iPad Air on the spot.
I was in a similar spot as you, checked online after nothing was available the day before and all of a sudden they had my IPP in stock (except I ran down to get it myself lol). Point is, stores are getting shipments, just gotta check on them daily to get what you want.

Reactions: PieTunes

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Very happy for you. Everyone needs something to smile about during these times and I’m happy things worked out! Enjoy the new toy

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Very happy for you. Everyone needs something to smile about during these times and I’m happy things worked out! Enjoy the new toy
Thank you, it sure was a shot of happiness in light of everything that's been going on. I was happy with the Air but am so glad I upgraded to this. Face ID on an iPad? What a quality of life boost. That alone is just about worth the price of admission!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Congrats! Interesting to read about iPads still having shortages in some places. I'm in Asia now and I don't think there's a shortage of any Apple products at the moment lol the few times I've passed by the Apple stores recently there's barely any customers inside.

Reactions: PieTunes

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

View attachment 943998
Fantastic story and congratulations! ??? That is brilliant, glad it all worked out so well in the end, sometimes you have to go through a little bit of crap for a better outcome I guess, lol.

i have seen some real horror shows regarding people getting their iPad Pros this year, some people have waited months, i was quite lucky, I got mine within a week of ordering.

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
That is awesome @PieTunes - Enjoy your iPad Pro.

The manager at the Apple Store I frequented before the pandemic has always been very good to me.

I appreciate hearing about the 2 hour delivery service issue. I’ve used it a few times here without issue.
The 2 hour express courier service probably works well the vast majority of the time, but with this being my first and this happened, it'll likely be my last. At least it's nice to have a better understanding now of how it works and who is involved.

But still, what is more irksome than anything is the lack of accountability and a definitive reason. Apple web ordering doesn't know what happened, Postmates doesn't know what happened, the local Apple store doesn't know what happened, everyone is just giving guesses. Granted, they're educated guesses for sure, but it would still be nice to know exactly what occurred. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

At any rate, it turned out well enough for me, and the iPad Pro is definitely a hell of an upgrade from the Air 3. Screen size, speaker quality, ProMotion, it's awesome. And Face ID on an iPad just makes the whole experience that much more seamless.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018

View attachment 943998

Sounds like you ordered a cheeseburger via Uber Eats, and ended up with a Big Mac & fries.

Good for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.