Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
A bit of a long story here so please bare with me.

I love the design and functionality of the New Ipad Pro's. Ive had almost every single model of Ipad since the first gen almost 10 years ago.

Every single one i purchased and Otterbox Defender Case, same as my Iphones and never had an issue with them until the past year.

Last year i bought the 10.5 256 Wifi and put it in an otterbox case right out of the box, and 3 months later its screen started to distort when i applied light pressure via my finger or the apple pencil.

I took it to apple (as it was past best buys return policy) and they replaced it, POINTING OUT IT HAD THE SLIGHTEST BEND but said it wasnt my fault and as i said, gave me a new one and it started again slightly a few months down the road but i ultimately sold it.

Come November i got the 12.9 256 wifi, no otterbox case as it wasnt out on the market yet, and when i found out about the bending issue and called apple and asked about it, they said IF it did bend i would have to pay for repairs, and i promptly returned it.

Now, this month i figured i needed a new ipad and tried out the 9.7 2018 model and i liked it but returned it as i needed more space and power and i said ok, lets try the 11 inch pro.

Since the otterbox case was on the market then i bought it right along side the ipad and waited until both arrived and installed the case (as you will see in the video below)

As you can see i took the upmost care to inspect the ipad for bends (dident see any) and was as gentle as possible installing the otterbox case and while i was setting it up, i noticed the screen distorting less then an hour after unboxing the ipad.

This is totally unacceptable. These devices cost me months of savings to own and use and this proves to me atleast, beyond a shadow of a doubt the metal is simply too thin.. Apple needs to do something ASAP to reinforce these things!

Heres the video as proof.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You would not be the first to bend their device installing and removing a tight fitting case. My neighbor bent his 11" taking his Otterbox case off.

We are just suffering the consequences of Apple's love of THIN!

Last edited:
Reactions: arefbe

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Other people are going to tell you that theirs isn't bent to prove that this isn't a problem.

It's the main reason I am not purchasing this version of the iPad Pro even though I was originally going to. Glad I waited. This is a problem regardless of the people on Macrumors who assert that it isn't because their iPad isn't bent. It is a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.