Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
Hello, I have an iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) and over the past month and a half, I’ve started to notice an issue with the display on my iPad where about half the screen is dim and only the button part of the display is fully lite up and the sides of the iPad being the darkest.

Since the 15th of December, the dark area’s have started to get more noticeable the bottom second of the screen is lit up more than the rest of the screen. From 15/12/21 till now (26/12/21) I’ve not really noticed those areas have gotten worse those they are still there. The issue goes away over time, however, it will reappear.

Some more info on the iPad:
> I’ve owned the iPad since 2019
> I Pretty much have the iPad attached to the Apple Magic Keyboard 24/7 since July 15, 2020
> iPad normally at 100% brightness
> No True Tone or Night Shift turned on
> The iPad is not covered under warranty or Apple Care
> I had not taken the iPad into Apple yet to get the iPad looked at
> I have not tried a factory reset / re-install of the OS yet (I am going to try a reinstall tonight to see if this may fix the issue)

Have anyone has a similar issue to this And might know of any suggestions to fix the issue or might I have to get the display replaced by Apple?

// EDITED: Updated with more information on the issue.

Here are some photos of the issue.

IMG_5614.jpeg
IMG_5615.jpeg
IMG_5596.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: wallah

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok. You didn't ask a question. Do you have one?

You also didn't provide much information about the iPad which would be useful to anyone seeking to offer suggestions regarding your question(s)?

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
Ok. You didn't ask a question. Do you have one?

You also didn't provide much information about the iPad which would be useful to anyone seeking to offer suggestions regarding your question(s)?

Sorry about that. I’ve tried to add more information about the issue and ran it throw Grammarly to try and fix some of the issues. Tho some grammatical errors might still be there due to having dyslexia.

Would you say I need more information about the iPad?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Haven’t experienced this yet but from your photos this could be a hardware problem. You already stated you haven’t reset it to factory settings yet and that would be my next step before contacting Apple.

Reactions: andrew_salfinger

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
Haven’t experienced this yet but from your photos this could be a hardware problem. You already stated you haven’t reset it to factory settings yet and that would be my next step before contacting Apple.

Okay thank you I will try that. For this step do I go to ”Erase All Content and Settings” then start it up as new and not from a backup?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Okay thank you I will try that. For this step do I go to ”Erase All Content and Settings” then start it up as new and not from a backup?

Yes that’s what I would do. If the issue persists with no backup and a “fresh” operating system, you’re likely dealing with a hardware issue in my opinion. Best success!

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
Yes that’s what I would do. If the issue persists with no backup and a “fresh” operating system, you’re likely dealing with a hardware issue in my opinion. Best success!

It seems after a complete re-install with a fresh OS the screen issue is still happening.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'd be surprised if replacing the display is a more economical option than buying a new iPad. (if that's even something they do)

andrew_salfinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2021
I'd be surprised if replacing the display is a more economical option than buying a new iPad. (if that's even something they do)
I guess it depends, since it seems to fix the display it would cost about $979 (AUD) and the iPad i have was $2,049.00 with a newer iPad with the same storage size priced at $2,099 (AUD) so fixing the iPad would save $1120 (AUD) However that is $979 that could go towards a new M1 iPad Pro tho.

Last edited:

MamaLali

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2022
I know this is an old thread. I recently got a used iPad that has this exact problem. this is the only discussion I could find so far that seems to relate to this particular dim center screen issue and not the TrueTone fix or something else. Were you ever able to resolve it? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.