Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I have been using an iPad Magic Keyboard. I have a 12 inch iPad Pro and am considering a Smart Folio no keyboard. how is it using on lap, couch or chair? How sturdy is it folded?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
As with everything iPad, the Smart Folio has lovers, haters, and those who feel a mix, depending on expectations and varied uses. I suggest buying from source with a free return policy.

If by “folded” you mean when the front cover is flat on the back, the two panels stay put. If you meant folded into a triangle to prop the iPad up, I fall into the group that finds that too unstable for regular use.

When lounging, I tend to prop the iPads on a pillow, furniture, or my leg, and a bare iPad is simply too slippery for me, so the Folio provides enough grip and sufficient protection when storing them around the house, even though I personally find the Folio’s edges to be a bit too sharp (that love/hate thing).

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
The folio is sturdy when folded and makes the iPad much lighter than with the Magic Keyboard. However, when on the lap, it tends to fall over.

I’m currently considering going halfway between the Folio and Magic Keyboard with the Smart Folio Keyboard (at greatly reduced price of £40).

The Folio is a great option if you do not need to type and will be mostly using the iPad on a flat surface or in your hands.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I looked at the Folio but IMO no way to effectively use it on a lap or in bed, so I went with the Magic Keyboard. One could make a case for switching between the two like @BhaveshUK mentions, but unless you get a heck of a deal like they are I don’t see the benefit. Yeah, it’s a “little bit” lighter but it’s a lot less flexible in terms of use, and that outweighs (pun intended) the weight difference for me.

Reactions: BhaveshUK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.