Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Yeah, so the Smart Keyboard Folio for the iPad Pro (5th Gen/4th/3rd) is on sale at Walmart and Amazon for $116.99. I could pick it up today at Walmart, so no waiting, but I don’t know if it’s worth it or not. I could wait, put my Christmas gift cards and money together, and possibly have enough for a Magic Keyboard early next month. But I could also just get the Smart Keyboard Folio and save some serious cash. Does anyone have the Smart Keyboard Folio and would you recommend it? Thank you for the help!

Reactions: johntw

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I realize this is a bit late but ... I found the folio keyboard to be extremely unpleasant to type on for any length of time. I ended up giving mine away for this reason and just using an external bluetooth keyboard with mine.

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I really like mine (11). The minimal weight and richness is great. I’m using the keyboard daily usually over breakfast/lunch. It’s no excellent Keyboard but works well enough and is an excellent trade off for me to maximise portability. I couldn’t find anything better and happy (though it’s overpriced!)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Having used the smart keyboard folio for the last 6 months, i opted to pick up the Magic keyboard case last week. If you plan to use your iPad as a laptop replacement, the Smart Keyboard folio is not going to cut it in my opinion. The keyboard is just too lacklustre for any sort of prolonged use and viewing angles are very limited. On the other hand, if you plan to use the tablet as a multi use tool alongside an Apple Pencil and general touchscreen tablet use, the Smart Keyboard is very versatile. Weight is another factor, the magic keyboard is much heavier than the Smart Keyboard.

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
I got the Smart Folio keyboard for $99 for my iPad Pro 11 and I thought it was alright. The typing experience is find but I wouldn't want to type on it for an extended period of time. I had to put on dbrand decals on it since the case was starting to show wear pretty easily, which is why I didnt want to get a Magic Keyboard.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
I love mine and have used it since the 2018 release with each new iPad Pro 12.9”. Besides being handy as a keyboard, it provides a very stable stable in a variety of places for me. Mainly my bed and lap, with or without a small lap desk/tray underneath it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.