Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAlexChiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
I got the new iPad Pro 2018 from my boss over Christmas, only to discover 2 weeks later that the iPad was defective. As many of you know the iPad does not come with a USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor. So it wasn't until 2 weeks later that i purchased an apple branded dongle from Best Buy. The iPad sometimes recognise but most of the time doesn't. I also tried the dongle and earphones that came with my Huawei P20 Pro. It sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. So I thought it was a software related issue and went to the apple store.

After an hour of diagnosis, the Apple Genius confirmed the iPad is in fact defective and will issue me a replacement. The Apple Genius assured me that the iPad being replaced is a brand new device and not a refurbished. 2 days later, i went to pick up my replacement, only to find the back of the device is all scuffed up. The Associate, then try to buff out the scratches but obviously couldn't. She told me to call Apple Care, and they might be able to issue me a real "brand new" item.

After 10 minutes of explaining my issue with Apple Care, they agreed to replace a brand new iPad for me upon submitting a receipt. She sent me a link to upload the document.

I called back the next day after submitting the document. This time they said they will not issue me a brand new device because its 2 days after their return policy. After an hour on the phone with this individual, he tells me he can't do anything for me and read me the return policy "replacement will be New or Like New". He then tells me he has no power to issue me a New product and the only people that can do it is the apple store and its up to their discretion if they want to issue me with a new product or not. He also confirms that these "like new" products are products that are sometimes returned by customers after a few days of purchase and in fact are used.

Going back to the Apple store. the store manager said the same thing. They will replace me with a "like new" product and assured me the replacement product is "brand new" never been used, because the iPad is so new, there couldn't be refurbished iPad Pros. The store manager basically said, he can issue me a "like new" product or you'll have to call apple care again and see what they say.

I took the second option still in hopes to get a brand new replacement. The apple care associate at first was trying to get me a new replacement. had the store manager hop onto the phone. The store manager declines. She then escalated to her superiors in all departments (as she claims). Finally after an hour and a half of wait inside the apple store, she finally tells me she can't do it. She then ported me over to her Senior Advisor Christina. She was even more useless.
Christina: "which port do you have issue with on your iPad.".
Me: "Ma'am, there's only 1 USB-C port on this device and the only port this device have is defective."
Christina: "we will fix your iPad, if we can't we can issue a refurbished replacement. The process will take up to 2 weeks."
That was her response after 30 mins on the phone with her repeating every other sentence I tell her and spelling out the word dongle because she doesn't know what it is. I finally told her "why am i talking to you when the apple store can give me a product within 1-3 business days and they can order one for me right now?"

Its not like i'm being unreasonable, not everybody would have a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle lying around to test their iPad. The iPad has less than 10 charges on it. It also seems like they don't want back up their own products as well. First with the bend iPad issue, now with USB-C ports.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
After an hour of diagnosis, the Apple Genius confirmed the iPad is in fact defective and will issue me a replacement. The Apple Genius assured me that the iPad being replaced is a brand new device and not a refurbished. 2 days later, i went to pick up my replacement, only to find the back of the device is all scuffed up. The Associate, then try to buff out the scratches but obviously couldn't. She told me to call Apple Care, and they might be able to issue me a real "brand new" item.

Luckily I've never had to wait for Apple to order in a replacement device for me if they've needed to replace it. But if they opened up the replacement box and it had scratches, I'd reject it there and then. I find it hard to believe a Genius would be under instructions to try and buff scratches out of one of these devices?

MrAlexChiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Luckily I've never had to wait for Apple to order in a replacement device for me if they've needed to replace it. But if they opened up the replacement box and it had scratches, I'd reject it there and then. I find it hard to believe a Genius would be under instructions to try and buff scratches out of one of these devices?

She told me sometimes, delivery will cause the device to be dirty. he went to the back and came back with a towel and tried to buff it off. there wer 4 scratches in total, but 2 remained
[doublepost=1547744997][/doublepost]
Without photos it's really hard to judge how bad the situation actually is. This is the first time I've heard of replacements with scratches, and what OP describes sounds unusually severe.

They weren't big scratches, but a few wiggly lines on the back of the device.
[doublepost=1547745317][/doublepost]
Your story should have ended right there. Everything after that is you being unreasonable.

Really? you would accept a used replacement device with cosmetic damage on a $1700 device that you had for 3 weeks? Even if its not scratched, a used item? If I were to break it and i got a replacement, yes i'm glad i got a used replacement, but its clearly a manufacturing defect with poor quality control.

And you don't promise a customer a brand new device and then take it away from them soon after. They shouldn't have bring a customer's expectation up to begin with. The fact that they did it twice is uncalled for.
[doublepost=1547745507][/doublepost]
I purchased my doggle prior to getting my iPad Pro on intro day. I knew it would be needed.

Sounds like Apple is just following the rules.

yup i know, its apparent that not all Apple associates exercise these rules accordingly. There is no consistency.

Reactions: rbrian

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
She told me sometimes, delivery will cause the device to be dirty. he went to the back and came back with a towel and tried to buff it off. there wer 4 scratches in total, but 2 remained

Thanks for the context! The replacements usually come in a white box and wrapped in plastic to protect it - it sounds like your replacement didn't have the same protection.

Which Apple Store were you at? Is it in the US or somewhere else?

MrAlexChiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
Thanks for the context! The replacements usually come in a white box and wrapped in plastic to protect it - it sounds like your replacement didn't have the same protection.

Which Apple Store were you at? Is it in the US or somewhere else?

The replacement product is as you described. white box with wrapper. This is at the Markville Mall location in Markham Ontario Canada. Second time i went back i went to the Fairview Mall Location in North York Ontario (closer to my home)

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The replacement product is as you described. white box with wrapper. This is at the Markville Mall location in Markham Ontario Canada. Second time i went back i went to the Fairview Mall Location in North York Ontario (closer to my home)

It's odd they would use the "damaged during transport" argument then. The protective film itself would be damaged if that were true.

Sounds like just bad QC - they should simply have gotten you a new replacement instead of the roundabout experience you had. Refurbished products from Apple should effectively be brand new, using the same QC verification as products in the "brand new packaging" - the only difference would be the packaging - it's why Apple offers the full 1 year AppleCare limited warranty for their refurbished store, and full eligibility for AppleCare+ insurance.

In contrast, getting refurbished Apple products from third-party sources like Best Buy in the US are not subject to the same warranty benefits.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
That’s the problem with USB-C. Compatibility is a nightmare and there are no indications to customers about which are compatible with what.

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
i discovered tonight an issue with the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter and WiFi. When you wake up the ipad from sleep while the dongle is connected, the WiFi will not work even though it shows connected. Unplug the dongle and WiFi would work within a few seconds. Did some researching, and apparently it is fixed with one of the beta softwares so i installed the iOS beta. Fixed the issue for me.

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Apple's return policy is very generous: use it for 14 days and return it no questions asked. (or up to Jan 7th for holiday purchases)

Apple's policy is also very rigid: if you bring it in past 14 days, you are on the warranty period, and you'll get a refurb unit. Sorry, but they just aren't going to bend on that rule.

The OP seemed to need to vent which is fine, but PSA: test your gear and make sure you are happy within the free return period. end of story.

MrAlexChiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
So, I got a 2nd "like new" replacement iPad. The iPad came covered. After an hour of debate with the store manager, and drawing in quite a crowd learning about all the defects of their products. The store manager gave me one from a retail box to get rid of me.

Reactions: Peter K.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The problem really comes down to expectations. Some customers are led to believe:

1. Replacements are brand new. They're not, they're well refurbished.

2. Apple Store staff always know what they're talking about. They don't and they often tell customers replacements are new in order to avoid arguments.

Apple's warranty policy explicitly states they use like new replacements.

MrAlexChiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2019
The problem really comes down to expectations. Some customers are led to believe:

1. Replacements are brand new. They're not, they're well refurbished.

2. Apple Store staff always know what they're talking about. They don't and they often tell customers replacements are new in order to avoid arguments.

Apple's warranty policy explicitly states they use like new replacements.

Even the brand new out of retail box product came out of the box with residue and marks on it. I scraped it off with my nail and rubbed it off and called it a day. The QC is not that great with Apple these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.