Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveFast….

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
I have a 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 and the power delivery fast charging ability through a usb C to usb C cable failed after just over a year of use.
It continued to charge slowly via a normal usb cable but I found that as time went on I had to replace the cables more and more often to get the device to charge.
The cables worked fine in other devices after they stopped working with the iPad - I think the Ipad port was wearing out more and more and a new cable had tight enough tolerances initially but eventually the port stopped working altogether.
Given that Apple wanted to charge a flat fee of £699 for all repairs (basically it’s a swap for another iPad - they don’t actually repair them in the Apple store).
I did some research online and purchased a new port, new adhesive strips and a cheap cutting tool - all delivered for just less than £14.
With great trepidation I used a hobby heat gun to warm the edge of the iPad and slowly worked my way around the edge of the screen cutting away the adhesive and prising up the edge.
I had a couple of rubber suckers that helped me pull on the screen and used thin pieces of plastic to insert into the gaps to stop it from sticking back down.
If you have a steady hand, good light and good vision (or suitable eyewear!) then it isn’t a difficult job - you don’t even have to detach the screen - you can change the port while it’s still attached by it’s ribbon cables.
An extremely tiny screwdriver is needed to remove 3 screws in order to change the port out and the most time consuming part was cleaning the old adhesive off before applying the new strips.
Everything works properly again - even the PD charging!
If you have a bit of common sense and a practical turn of mind then I would recommend giving it a go - I was pretty nervous about tackling it and in the end it was no big deal.

Attached is a photo of the old port - you can see how destroyed the contacts are - USB C simply isn’t robust enough for frequent use.

Attachments

• IMG_3134.jpeg
    IMG_3134.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Fillyjonk

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
I've signed up to resuscitate this thread. I bought an iPad Pro 12.9 in April 2020. In September last year ('22) the device stopped recognising the charger and over the course of a week, completely lost the ability to charge. I made an appointment at the local Genius Bar who declared the port damaged and offered a 'replacement' for approx £650. I asked the guy at the Apple store whether this was a common/known issue with iPad charging/USB C ports; he said it wasn't, suggesting that in some way I'd been lax with choice of cable or not looked after the tablet properly. I'm meticulous when it comes to looking after stuff - every iPad I've ever phoned has been cased from new, screen protected etc. In short, I'm diligent about taking care of my tech.

Ultimately, I've had to replace the iPad which was 18 months old when the charging port gave up the ghost. Inevitably, I feel aggrieved and angry towards Apple, even more so now I've discovered this thread.

It feels like an impossible task to take on Apple over this and expect a result; they're asses are covered. None of which dilutes the fact that I think it's shameful that a £1,300 iPad is rendered valueless after 18 months and the buyer has no recourse to an equitable solution. Does anybody think that there's any value in raising the issue collectively? The posts in this thread suggest that this is not an uncommon problem for tablets of a certain vintage.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Total opposite experience. IPP 2018 3rd gen USB C works great still. No issues with charging which I do almost daily with it. Have used a number of different cables from Apple and Anker with no issues. The Magic Keyboard usb C port for charging also works a treat still.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Something to look out for when you get a new iPad Pro. Got mine last week and wanted to charge it for the first time. Plugged in USB-C cable and...nothing happens. Unplugged and plugged it in the other way...charges immediately. Tried the USB-C cable and charger from my old 2018 iPad Pro, same story. The problem also occurs with all USB-C accessories, from headphone adapter to USB sticks to hard drives. They are all only recognized if plugged in on a specific side of the USB-C plug. So basically, the port acts as if USB-C cables were non-reversible.
By chance, I discovered that if I plug something in "the wrong way" so that it doesn't get recognized, and then exert a small amount of pressure on the iPad's display in an area about an inch above the USB-C port, the connection comes to life.
Based on the iFixit teardown, the USB-C port on iPad Pros is modular and connected to the mainboard right around that area that if I press on it, whatever is plugged in suddenly gets recognized. I'm guessing the cable that connects the USB-C port to the mainboard is loose or only half plugged it so that one side of the pins on the USB-C port is dead.
Real shame, as the device is otherwise flawless and has the most evenly lit screen I've ever had on an iPad.
You’re using it wrong…🤪

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
I hardly ever use it, but charging still works on mine. And I do charge it when I see it is below 20%. Allegedly it's a good thing to keep lithium ion batteries charged anything between 20 and 80%. iPP 11.9 (March 25, 2020, 2nd gen) USB-C <> USB-C 18W charger.

davetroup

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I have this problem too, with my iPad Pro 11” first gen (bought new in 2019.). It got gradually worse to the point that I can almost never get it to charge by the USB-C port no matter what I use For charging.

I have planned to bup a new iPad Pro when they release the new model (maybe as soon as next month) and am trying to buy time with this one until the new one is available for ordering. So although it’s a bit of an expensive workaround, I bought an Apple Magic Keyboard which has its own USB-C port and connects to the iPad via the small copper “dots” on the back of the tablet. That works great and I can use the Magic Keyboard case essentially as a charging accessory. It’s also a very nice keyboard and trackpad.

My hope is that it will continue to work with the new iPad Pro when it’s released and so my purchase will have some longer-term value. Because I now believe that the USB=C port is far less durable than its predecessor, the Lightning connector, I will probably continue to try to use the Magic Keyboard case for charging most of the time so that I put the wear on the (replaceable) keyboard case rather than on the iPad itself.

But I hope my idea is helpful to others who may be trying to save an iPad with a worn-out USB-C connector.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I contacted Apple Support and reported my problem and observations. They stated the USB-C port is defective and would need to be repaired. Since Apple Stores and their Genius Bars are still closed, the only repair option they were able to offer was to take it to one of the few authorized service providers that still operate. However, since I caught the issue while I was still within my 14 day return window, they suggested I simply return it and they would mail a replacement which should arrive next week.
As the USB-C port component is modular, it can likely be repaired in stores once they open again, but since it was a brand new device, I preferred returning it for a new one rather than having them open it up and fix it.
As for the issue itself, I have only found one other report from a user who bought a used 2018 iPad Pro on Amazon. It is probably not a widespread issue, though some people may not realize it for a long time if you happen to always plug your cable in "the right way". I still suspect this issue is a result of the cable that connects the USB-C port to the logicboard becoming loose. It is a flat cable with two rows of pins. Each row probably connects to one side of the pins on the actual USB-C port. If that cable becomes loose on one side, it would explain why only one side is "alive" and why pressing on the screen makes the other side come alive as well.
I suspect that Apple would send you a refurbished iPad rather than an actual new one. They pull this trick all the time.

rodalpho

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
That's a cable problem as the USB-C spec calls for reversibility. I don't have the issue with any of my cables on any of my USB-C devices.
Not necessarily a cable problem no, I've seen this happen with other USB-C accessories. The socket was damaged on one side.

Edit: just saw this was a 4 year necro, sigh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.