Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If they didn't mention it, I would lean towards no. They will save that feature for the iPad Pro 2, iPad Air 3, and iPad mini 5.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Why doesn't Apple strive to make the best products rather than half baked products? :(

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
But why does Apple think it's okay to put last generation hardware with a bigger screen and claim it to be "magical"? I would have expected 3D touch and touch ID 2.0 in their "flagship" 1k+ iPad.

Reactions: xodh

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Why doesn't Apple strive to make the best products rather than half baked products? :(
Because if they give all their products all the features as they are available, then they wouldn't be able to make as much money. Most of the people that buy these products now would buy them regardless of whether or not they're using the latest technology from Apple. They could just wait until the next generation to give them last year's features, but at that point, new technology is available. Pretty much only the iPhone gets the best features first, which makes sense because it is Apple's cash cow.

Unfortunately this is a cycle that will probably never end, the iPad being one of the most obvious victims :(

Reactions: btrach144

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
There's always the less popular, more likely theory that they simply cannot make enough of the part... Even Apple is limited by the supply chain.
I haven't heard reports that the touch id sensor is the hold up for the 6s. My understanding is that it's the display/3d touch panel.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
My thoughts are that for the iPhone speed is of the essence, it should be faster using Touch ID on an iPhone than a passcode (and more secure). On the iPad is that speed needed, the security was there in generation 1. Does anyone urgently need access to their iPad? Additionally the iPhone sells in such vast numbers they may not have enough of the part?!

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I also don't think it's going to have Touch ID 2.0, on the slides in the event, they made specific mention with the new iPhones that it was "Next generation Touch ID" and that wording was nowhere to be found on the iPad Pro slides.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
what is the new touch ID 2.0 differences?

Primarily speed. If "iPhone 6s Touch ID", you can see videos on how fast it is. It's almost at the point where if you barely click the Home Button, it unlocks instantly. Some users complain that it's too fast as you no longer can tap the Home Button to check your Locksreen.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Because if they give all their products all the features as they are available, then they wouldn't be able to make as much money. Most of the people that buy these products now would buy them regardless of whether or not they're using the latest technology from Apple. They could just wait until the next generation to give them last year's features, but at that point, new technology is available. Pretty much only the iPhone gets the best features first, which makes sense because it is Apple's cash cow.

Unfortunately this is a cycle that will probably never end, the iPad being one of the most obvious victims :(

There's a couple other alternate explanations for this behavior as well beyond "let's shaft the customer":
1) Some tech can't simply be rolled out to all devices at the same time due to a technical hurdle. 3D Touch requires specific behavior from the panel to work, and I don't think they are at the point where a 10" screen can be made rigid enough for the pressure data to be consistent across the whole screen. Not without adding obvious weight.
2) Apple's secrecy is notorious. If the iPhone team had gotten Touch ID 2.0 up and running, based on the article, the iPad Pro team wouldn't even have been aware of it.

I think in this particular rollout, there is definitely a case of the teams doing what they could for their product, which amounted to totally different focuses. iPad Pro is focused on figuring out the accessories (Stylus and Keyboard), along with how to use the larger chassis to best effect (they have a battery with similar capacity to the 12" MacBook, and still had room to stuff 2 extra speakers, at half a pound less, crazy). The iPhone team was focused on what improvements they could make without having a new chassis. Touch ID and adapting Force Touch to the phone are somewhat natural areas you can innovate without changing the shape of the device itself (too much).

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
There's a couple other alternate explanations for this behavior as well beyond "let's shaft the customer":
1) Some tech can't simply be rolled out to all devices at the same time due to a technical hurdle. 3D Touch requires specific behavior from the panel to work, and I don't think they are at the point where a 10" screen can be made rigid enough for the pressure data to be consistent across the whole screen. Not without adding obvious weight.
2) Apple's secrecy is notorious. If the iPhone team had gotten Touch ID 2.0 up and running, based on the article, the iPad Pro team wouldn't even have been aware of it.

I think in this particular rollout, there is definitely a case of the teams doing what they could for their product, which amounted to totally different focuses. iPad Pro is focused on figuring out the accessories (Stylus and Keyboard), along with how to use the larger chassis to best effect (they have a battery with similar capacity to the 12" MacBook, and still had room to stuff 2 extra speakers, at half a pound less, crazy). The iPhone team was focused on what improvements they could make without having a new chassis. Touch ID and adapting Force Touch to the phone are somewhat natural areas you can innovate without changing the shape of the device itself (too much).
Never thought about the second point. Great insight!

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Answer is no. This question was asked about two weeks ago, so I'll repost this:
ipad-pro-spec-sheet-610x417.jpg

yaaay.jpg

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

You're overthinking it. New iPhone features have never been released for iPad or any other product at the same time as a new phone. Period. It will always be a year later. Why would they release their "reason to upgrade" for every device at the same time.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
You're overthinking it. New iPhone features have never been released for iPad or any other product at the same time as a new phone. Period. It will always be a year later. Why would they release their "reason to upgrade" for every device at the same time.

And if you note #2, that's basically why they only appear on one device before trickling out to others (secrecy between projects). There is even evidence to back up the statement. I'd argue you are overthinking it by assuming there is a level of intent where none need be, as that intent requires additional explanation.

But what do I know? It's not like I've seen stuff like this play out (I have), or work in the industry (I do).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.