Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Maybe 20 apps on the App Store such as Final Cut will clearly benefit from this, but not the OS per se. I rarely if ever see anything load with my A12Z and do not feel the need to upgrade at all.

On the other hand, macOS in its entirety will benefit from M4. I have an M2 Pro, and would still be constantly looking for more and more power.
What specific OS actions do you speak of?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
What specific OS actions do you speak of?
Pretty much the entire OS experience can improve with a faster chip. The same cannot be said with the iPad.

Honestly, I see absolutely no point for Apple in rushing an M4 iPad instead of a Mac out to customers, when the iPad simply doesn't benefit from all this power for 99.99% of the people out there.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Very interesting but seriously doubt it.

i think they’ll always introduce M chips on MacBooks first because it’s their where the improvements shine most currently

I could only see this happen if Apple delays the iPads till November this year, who’s is very unlikely

Reactions: Chuckeee

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
On the other hand, macOS in its entirety will benefit from M4. I have an M2 Pro, and would still be constantly looking for more and more power.
Not macOS, but your apps will for sure benefit with M4.

I think it has to do less with the raw CPU/GPu power and more about new features. M3 got a graphics boost in form of hardware render (gaming I guess) while the M4 is thought to get strong improvements for on device AI. The general CPU/GPU performance have for the vast majority of users of iPad and Mac been uninteresting for many years .

Apple is predicted to sell 8.5 million iPad Pro and not getting these onboard the AI hype train now seems like a missed opportunity.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
We have been expecting M3 iPad Pros for a while now but I was just browsing through some of the rumors and I noticed something interesting.

There was information from a private X account with a proven track record that shared chip identifiers for the new WiFi + cellular iPad Pros and it’s apparently using a T8132 chip. However, T8132 is not the identifier for the M3 chip which is T8122.

In fact, based on the pattern that the M series chips have been following, it seems like it’s the M4 chip.

M2 - T8112
M3 - T8122
T8132 - M4?

But that’s not all. A few days ago, 9to5Mac found identifiers for the new WiFi+Cellular iPad Pros: iPad16,3 iPad 16,4 iPad 16,5 iPad16,6

M1 based products all start with 13. For example, the M1 iPad Air is called iPad13,16. The 11” M1 iPad Pro is iPad13,4, the M1 Max Mac Studio is Mac13,1 etc

M2 based products are 14. The 11” M2 iPad Pro is iPad14,3. M2 Ultra Mac Studio is Mac14,8 etc

M3 based products are 15. The 16” M3 Max MacBook Pro is Mac15,12. M3 iMac is Mac15,5 etc

But these new iPad identifiers have skipped 15 and went straight to 16. Are we about to get an M4 iPad Pro?
Do not take our scepticism too hard. Such rumours and logic presented in this post is why we hang out on this forum! Thank you for doing the analysis.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Pretty much the entire OS experience can improve with a faster chip. The same cannot be said with the iPad.
So you have no actual examples of something that gets faster on one but not the other.

My M3 Air doesn’t open files any faster than the M1 13” I had. Doesn’t load websites any faster, doesn’t launch apps any faster. So would you agree macOS doesn’t take advantage and didn’t need the M3?

Reactions: harold.ji

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
So you have no actual examples of something that gets faster on one but not the other.

My M3 Air doesn’t open files any faster than the M1 13” I had. Doesn’t load websites any faster, doesn’t launch apps any faster. So would you agree macOS doesn’t take advantage and didn’t need the M3?
Maybe you're doing light usage of your Mac and heavy usage on your iPad, but it's kinda hard to use the iPad at its fullest, so I don't really know how you would do that. Maybe you use your iPad on an external screen? I don't see how else.

I upgraded from M1 to M2 Pro and it's been day and night for me for sure.
More CPU (Xcode compile times), more GPU (great for Pixelmator), export video codecs (for Final Cut), 4X more memory (in my case - I can open way more apps at the same time)... I mean, the entire system is faster. But I'd still be looking for more.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneJack

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Maybe you're doing light usage of your Mac and heavy usage on your iPad, but it's kinda hard to use the iPad at its fullest, so I don't really know how you would do that. Maybe you use your iPad on an external screen? I don't see how else.

I upgraded from M1 to M2 Pro and it's been day and night for me for sure.
More CPU (Xcode compile times), more GPU, export video codecs (for Final Cut), 4X more memory (in my case - I can open way more apps at the same time)... I mean, the entire system is faster. But I'd still be looking for more.
I’m doing the same tasks. DaVinci for video editing, Affinity for photo editing, Microsoft Teams and Outlook + iWork (spreadsheets with tens of thousands of rows in some cases), etc.

Your own message also debunks the point you’ve made: Xcode compile times aren’t the OS, they’re the app combined with the hardware. So why is it valid that macOS makes use of the chipset because you’ve seen a big improvement in your app usage such as code compiling or better GPU performance, but it’s invalid that iPadOS makes use despite me experiencing identical performance increases?

You’ve still yet to provide an example of how the OS makes the difference in power utilization. The only example you’ve provided is quite literally the same one I provided, and the same one you challenged.

You’ve experienced visible speed increases in your system on macOS with newer silicon. I’ve experienced visible speed increases in my system on iPadOS with newer silicon. So why is my experience invalid?

iPadOS and many iPad apps (way more than 20. I can think of just 20 games alone that run better, let alone all the apps) make use of the chipset, you just don’t use anything that does.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Good point.

I don't think the new iPads will carry the M4 chip, but considering that future processors will carry a dedicated part for it (like the A18), I certainly wait patiently for the next generation iPad.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
You’ve experienced visible speed increases in your system on macOS with newer silicon. I’ve experienced visible speed increases in my system on iPadOS with newer silicon. So why is my experience invalid?
I never said your experience was invalid, I said you might be in the 0.001% and I don't think Apple will or should target this audience for a new lineup.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I never said your experience was invalid, I said you might be in the 0.001% and I don't think Apple will or should target this audience for a new lineup.
I’m not saying they should debut an M4 in an iPad first either. That’s ridiculous.

I’m just challenging the statement that iPadOS “doesn’t make use of the chip”. Every time someone says this, there’s never an actual example other than things that can be observed on the iPad, or something related to apps, rather than the OS itself. Even if it’s “0.001%” of users (which it’s not, it’s a way, way, way higher number than that, lol - millions of people use iPads for professional/enterprise purposes, mostly as a complementary device but still running higher power titles), the point is that the iPad does make use of the chipset. I know more people that use their MacBook Pros for Facebook and Twitter than I do people using their MacBooks for high end work where they need the horsepower but it’s not like macOS “doesn’t user the chip’s power”, those machines just aren’t being used in a way where it matters. That’s just my point.

I was mentioning the idea of something being invalidated not because you directly said so but because when asked for examples of how macOS is using the chipset better, I was met with the same types of improvements I said about the M1 in the iPad.

I’m just trying to understand the argument that the iPad can’t make use of the chip, when there’s many apps and games I can think of that have visible improvements over A12Z to M1, and M1 to M2.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Very interesting but seriously doubt it.

I could only see this happen if Apple delays the iPads till November this year, which is very unlikely
But you forgot the mentions and references inside iPadOS 17.5 (which will likely be released during WWDC) to this new iPad16,3 iPad16,4 iPad16,5 and iPad16,6.

If the new M4 iPad were to be released in November, why include this references in iPadOS 17.5 and not in iPadOS 18.1?

I think it has to do less with the raw CPU/GPU power and more about new features. The M4 is thought to get strong improvements for on device AI.

Apple is predicted to sell 8.5 million iPad Pro and not getting these onboard the AI hype train now seems like a missed opportunity.
Exactly my thoughts!

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
We have been expecting M3 iPad Pros for a while now but I was just browsing through some of the rumors and I noticed something interesting.

There was information from a private X account with a proven track record that shared chip identifiers for the new WiFi + cellular iPad Pros and it’s apparently using a T8132 chip. However, T8132 is not the identifier for the M3 chip which is T8122.

In fact, based on the pattern that the M series chips have been following, it seems like it’s the M4 chip.

M2 - T8112
M3 - T8122
T8132 - M4?

But that’s not all. A few days ago, 9to5Mac found identifiers for the new WiFi+Cellular iPad Pros: iPad16,3 iPad 16,4 iPad 16,5 iPad16,6

M1 based products all start with 13. For example, the M1 iPad Air is called iPad13,16. The 11” M1 iPad Pro is iPad13,4, the M1 Max Mac Studio is Mac13,1 etc

M2 based products are 14. The 11” M2 iPad Pro is iPad14,3. M2 Ultra Mac Studio is Mac14,8 etc

M3 based products are 15. The 16” M3 Max MacBook Pro is Mac15,12. M3 iMac is Mac15,5 etc

But these new iPad identifiers have skipped 15 and went straight to 16. Are we about to get an M4 iPad Pro?
I agree with your assessment, and I believe ,we are indeed getting a M4 iPP, PLEASE LET IT BE A ”15” ” OLED!

Reactions: Populus

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I’m just trying to understand the argument that the iPad can’t make use of the chip, when there’s many apps and games I can think of that have visible improvements over A12Z to M1, and M1 to M2.
Probably because these persons uses the iPad for browsing, e-mail, calendar, web browsing, book reading, video streaming and uses a Mac for everything else. We who use other apps sees it very differently but in today's discussion climate, the nuances of personal needs are ofter lost. Luckily, the computer providers have done their homework and provide a reasonable large number of options to cover the vast majority of users needs*. The 0.001% (on either side of the fence) need to adapt or perish because they are economically not profitable.

*historically the UI and computer design were designed by engineers for engineers. This luckily changed, starting with GIU developed by Xerox and adapted by Apple driving the user friendly original Macintosh. I think some of the hard cores feel left out by new paradigms especially iPad because it is designed and intended for the masses and not for experts. Working with main frames at that time (I was the most junior at a time), I was sent up to the fix the Marketing department new "toy": the original Mac. History repeats itself.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
If these leaks are accurate and true, there is a high possibility for an M4 iPad Pro! But it is also possible that the leaks are false.

Hoping it's true and we get a pleasant surprise. It would be one of the best iPad Pro generation to get in these past few years. Hoping for layered battery tech as well. The battery life in the 12.9" models has been underwhelming since 2018 (and before?). Hoping for 1-2 hours additional battery life.

If we will get the M4 in the iPP, it would be weird for the iPad Air to use the M2 chip though, which would be 2 generations behind.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
There is no way an iPad gets the M4 before the Macs do.
As it is two different products, there is no reason why iPad Pro would not get M4 first. The Mac line is not more important than the iPad line for Apple. However, the M3 is barely 6 month old so a little early to replace it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As it is two different products, there is no reason why iPad Pro would not get M4 first. The Mac line is not more important than the iPad line for Apple. However, the M3 is barely 6 month old so a little early to replace it.
No iPad will get a more powerful processor than the Macs; the iPad Pros will get the M3.

Reactions: cpatrick08

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
No iPad will get a more powerful processor than the Macs; the iPad Pros will get the M3.
iPad gets advanced screen tech before the Macs, so why not a more powerful SoC 6 month before a Mac if it fits Apples marketing? I agree M3 is most likely at the moment but you provide no arguments so please expand.

Reactions: Populus

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
They should move back to the MacBook schedule of releasing the Pros in the fall along with the new processors, and the Airs in the spring with the now half-year-old processors. It's great for marketing purposes imo. They almost got it right in 2022 with releasing the M1 Air in March and the M2 Pro in October, but then they went and froze the lineup for a year and a half.

Surne

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2020
Barring a move to an iPad version of MacOS, I can't see a logical reason for Apple to debut the M4 on iPad first over Macs.

It doesn't make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.