Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Maybe we will get a specific M4 version for the iPad, like an M4Z so Apple can say it’s not the full blown M4. Could have cores disabled so they can sell the first low yield chips on the new process.

Reactions: alecgold

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Barring a move to an iPad version of MacOS, I can't see a logical reason for Apple to debut the M4 on iPad first over Macs.

It doesn't make sense.
They can justify a iPad price increase with a m4. they sell more iPads than macs, you're not thinking like a "bean counter"

Reactions: harold.ji

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Ya'll putting a lot of faith in rumors, when they are wrong 90 percent of the time.

To the internet...

The M4 chip line will reportedly come in three main flavors: an entry-level version called Donan, more powerful models named Brava and a higher-end chip codenamed Hidra. Apple reportedly plans to highlight the AI processing capabilities of the new chips and how they'll integrate with the upcoming version of macOS.

No way in heck they put an M4 in an iPad before a Mac. There's no evidence the M4 is even available yet, let alone in quantities to mass produce for a product.
I specified Ming Chi Kuo and Mark Gurman.. so that 90% wrong figure is you straw manning my point but that’s fine. Their track record is not that. Lets talk after the May 7 event.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Didn’t age too well, with Ming and German alluding to this very fact. AI is Apple‘s focus and M4 will have the neural cores to support. Zero chance that Apple will ignore this road map and just install an M3 in upcoming IPP.
As I said in another post "I stand by what I said with the knowledge we had at that moment, based on history and rumors". So I have zero issues with that. In the meantime we get a totally new rumors from Gurmann, so now everything is possible. You know how many assumptions don't age well here? A lot. We are on a rumors forum... And you are still talking about aging well based on a rumor as if it were a fact.

Reactions: MayaUser

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
Since Apple it seems wants to go with A18 and A18pro, im guessing they can do something similar with ipad air and ipad pro
So my guess is that ipad air will be based on M3 IF ipad pro goes M4 N3E
Its impossible to think that Apple sold almost all those M3 where is just in Macbook air and 14" Mbp

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
As I said in another post "I stand by what I said with the knowledge we had at that moment, based on history and rumors". So I have zero issues with that. In the meantime we get a totally new rumors from Gurmann, so now everything is possible. You know how many assumptions don't age well here? A lot. We are on a rumors forum... And you are still talking about aging well based on a rumor as if it were a fact.
the fact that they also talked about the M3 3nm coming before iphone 3nm...and it didnt happened , we are one week before we know for sure...so this talking is just for passing time

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I can feel that. Certainly was planning on buying the M2 with 16gb of ram to future proof. But waited for M3/M4 instead. But I also still plan on getting at least 16gb of ram on this iPad to future proof. But then there might be a super awesome new feature on the next M5 iPad. :p
I confess I was tempted too. I have seen the M1 1TB go under $1000 and that made it very tempting to upgrade my 1TB 2018 cellular model (bought for $900 on sale when the 2020 came out). But my 2018 is still doing well, battery is still at 97% and those 6GB RAM are so much better than 4GB (I have a 4GB 2018 12.9, which I keep in addition to my M1 12.9). So I'll be waiting to see how much improvement these new iPads bring (OLED is not an argument for me though) and also the accessories (pencil and keyboard), and if they are only compatible with the new iPads etc. Also I wonder how much the M1/2 would be left behind in features in iPadOS 18 compared to an hypotethical M4 with a new neural engine.

What I am really waiting for is actually a larger iPad... but there are no rumors for one coming this year. That one would be a big added value. And in that case I'd go with 16GB without even thinking about the price. By the time it comes out (if ever) we'll probably already a few more generation down the line... And maybe 16GB will come standard with that device...

Reactions: iPadified

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
We could entertain the possibility that it'll be the M3X or something, i.e. an M3 that they've retrofitted with the AI stuff.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Whenever someone is throwing around “zero chance” they are dismissive of that actually happening and are presenting pseudo facts which are of course just loudly dressed opinions.

Reactions: AlexMac89

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Whenever someone is throwing around “zero chance” they are dismissive of that actually happening and are presenting pseudo facts which are of course just loudly dressed opinions.
crazy how people get so upset about speculation on rumors. Yes, at that time, based on rumors and history, in my optinoin there were zero chances. And based on what we knew back than I would repeat the same thing 100 times.
Same thing if someone comes and say M5 will be arriving by the end of the year. I'd say zero chances. Until we hear some solid rumor saying the contrary...
Whether some people don't like it, find it dismissive or upsets them, I am fine with it ;)

• Angry

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
crazy how people get so upset about speculation on rumors. Yes, at that time, based on rumors and history, in my optinoin there were zero chances. And based on what we knew back than I would repeat the same thing 100 times.
Same thing if someone comes and say M5 will be arriving by the end of the year. I'd say zero chances. Until we hear some solid rumor saying the contrary...
Whether some people don't like it, find it dismissive or upsets them, I am fine with it ;)

Yup and whenever you make blanko statements with the intent to sell them as if they’re facts, this will repeat. Crazy how some people are so careless with the written word in a medium where only the written word is being used.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yup and whenever you make blanko statements with the intent to sell them as if they’re facts, this will repeat. Crazy how some people are so careless with the written word in a medium where only the written word is being used.
Given the same cirmumstances I will sure do, again and again. I gave clear arguments about why. Your opinion about it (or that of any random guy in a forum) is not my problem.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Given the same cirmumstances I will sure do, again and again. I gave clear arguments about why. Your opinion about it (or that of any random guy in a forum) is not my problem.
Obviously, we all throw around opinions… but when someone claim “zero chances,” they gotta know that‘s something to get called out for. Because that statement leads no opportunity for chance in an event where a credible source claim it’s a “50-50” possibility… and yeah, you gave clear arguments about why.

And I completely supported those arguments based upon the history of Apple, but that doesn’t elude to the claim being wrong. Gurman is taking the angle that AI is the reason behind this decision… since that’s where the market seem to be heading. And “Absolutely Incredible‘ statement made by Joz for WWDC… seems plausible.

I’m just anxious to see Apple has in store for us… we’ve been speculating since early January, next week we finally get to see what they announce.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Obviously, we all throw around opinions… but when someone claim “zero chances,” they gotta know that‘s something to get called out for. Because that statement leads no opportunity for chance in an event where a credible source claim it’s a “50-50” possibility… and yeah, you gave clear arguments about why.

And I completely supported those arguments based upon the history of Apple, but that doesn’t elude to the claim being wrong. Gurman is taking the angle that AI is the reason behind this decision… since that’s where the market seem to be heading. And “Absolutely Incredible‘ statement made by Joz for WWDC… seems plausible.

I’m just anxious to see Apple has in store for us… we’ve been speculating since early January, next week we finally get to see what they announce.
Again, as I said, you tell me M5 is coming by the end of the year, I'll tell you there is zero chances with no hesitation... When a credible source comes with a rumor saying the contrary I may change my mind. Otherwise I'll keep saying we have zero chances given how things stand now. That doesn't mean Apple can't do unprecedented things like the iPad 4 months after the 3, or M4 6 months after M3, they can do whatever they like. Even make M6 in 6 months. And M7 3 months later. But as things stand now I say there are zero chances. You (or anyone) are welcome to call me out for it, it's totally fine with me, now and in the future.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I just hope this iPad Pro actually gets the M4 or, if not, Apple puts out a “leak” to dampen my expectations, because I’m fully on the M4 hype train. OP’s evidence is just too good.

Plus, there’s the plausibility of:

• Apple feeling behind on AI and trying to signal it’s ahead by releasing the AI-focused M4 now unexpectedly
  • Releasing an M4 iPad Pro will give Apple an already-launched product to show AI on at WWDC
  • This is the first iPad Pro revamp in 6 years, and M4 would give it even more weight as a new generation of the product
  • The fact that this is also the first new iPad in a year and a half
  • The iPad Pro likely won’t be updated for another year and a half and could miss out on some of the AI features announced just a month later if released with M3
  • Apple not looking good strategically on all fronts right now (sales declines, Vision Pro being super expensive and interest waning, not a lot of obvious upgrades left for the iPhone, Mac, or iPad, very incremental updates in recent years) which could make them be more competitive with this product
  • This iPad seemingly got delayed multiple times. Maybe it was due to the M4 chip?
  • M4 chip is supposedly based on a better and cheaper chip foundation than M3
I will still be disappointed if it gets M3, though. It will seem like such a miss to have the first big iPad revamp in 6 years essentially become outdated and miss out on Apple’s new software/hardware direction just a month later.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Again, as I said, you tell me M5 is coming by the end of the year, I'll tell you there is zero chances with no hesitation... When a credible source comes with a rumor saying the contrary I may change my mind. Otherwise I'll keep saying we have zero chances given how things stand now.
And that’s the point we are making… a credible source has entered into the discussion. Gurman can come off being self-centered, but his name does hold weight. Regardless of the amount of times he’s been wrong.. especially his claim about no iPad event. That didn’t hold up too well.

But as things stand now I say there are zero chances. You (or anyone) are welcome to call me out for it, it's totally fine with me, now and in the future.
And don’t get me wrong, I’m completely surprised about his claim of a M4 iPad Pro as well… but is it out of realm of possibility?

We discuss the possibilities of macOS onto an iPad countless times… through some sort of dual boot or virtualization. And you and I both know, technically it’s possible. Heck, Apple can create a $500-600 keyboard dock when attached to an iPad Pro… puts macOS on display. But financially, it doesn’t make much sense for Apple.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
And that’s the point we are making… a credible source has entered into the discussion. Gurman can come off being self-centered, but his name does hold weight. Regardless of the amount of times he’s been wrong.. especially his claim about no iPad event. That didn’t hold up too well.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m completely surprised about his claim of a M4 iPad Pro as well… but is it out of realm of possibility?

We discuss the possibilities of macOS onto an iPad countless times… through some sort of dual boot or virtualization. And you and I both know, technically it’s possible. Heck, Apple can create a $500-600 keyboard dock when attached to an iPad Pro… puts macOS on display. But financially, it doesn’t make much sense for Apple.
Yes, I don't know if you read the posts I made here after the new rumors I said that now everything is now possible with M4.
So absolutely, I am not the kind of person who cannot change his mind if some credible rumors come in even for the craziest and most unexpected thing. But until then if I find something extremely unlikely I'll say that there are no chances of it happening (I could give infinite examples, like Apple selling $300 MacBooks, etc.). Again, if some people are upset by this, that's their problem.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I will still be disappointed if it gets M3, though. It will seem like such a miss to have the first big iPad revamp in 6 years essentially become outdated and miss out on Apple’s new software/hardware direction just a month later.
I don’t know, if anything… a M4 iPad Pro will greatly intensify the iPadOS limitation dialog lol. That would spawn loads of “the software needs to catch up with the hardware” comments.

Yes, I don't know if you read the posts I made here after the new rumors I said that now everything is now possible with M4.
So absolutely, I am not the kind of person who cannot change his mind if some credible rumors come in even for the craziest and most unexpected thing.
Oh, I was under the impression you were doubling down on your “zero chance” claim.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Just slap an M3 in there and call it an M4. I won't be able to tell the difference.
What I really hope for this year is more RAM on the smaller storage sizes. I don't need a 1 TB drive, but I would like to have 16 GB RAM.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I specified Ming Chi Kuo and Mark Gurman.. so that 90% wrong figure is you straw manning my point but that’s fine. Their track record is not that. Lets talk after the May 7 event.

I'm still waiting for my iPhone 15 iwth 2TB storage and phone pencil to put on my Apple Powermat ;)

Reactions: Chuckeee

steelestar

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Anyone can guess what might be in store next Tuesday, but (of course) I’m hoping for the M4 with increased AI functionality. My disposition is compromised with a measure of wishful thinking, but it makes a good deal of sense given the hardware/IOS-related release delays and the effort being made for a special event centered on their launch. I’m expecting something worthy of those circumstances and a new iPad Pro with game-changing specs, features and technology would certainly fit the bill. It would clearly set the device apart and ahead of all tablet competitors and enhance the desire to purchase/upgrade across a broader base of consumers (pricing being the important caveat). It could legitimately be marketed by Apple as the NEXT big thing (making the emerging AI technology more advanced, portable and - dare I say - affordable). Fingers are crossed.

Reactions: caribbeanblue

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I just hope this iPad Pro actually gets the M4 or, if not, Apple puts out a “leak” to dampen my expectations, because I’m fully on the M4 hype train. OP’s evidence is just too good.

Plus, there’s the plausibility of:

• Apple feeling behind on AI and trying to signal it’s ahead by releasing the AI-focused M4 now unexpectedly
  • Releasing an M4 iPad Pro will give Apple an already-launched product to show AI on at WWDC
  • This is the first iPad Pro revamp in 6 years, and M4 would give it even more weight as a new generation of the product
  • The fact that this is also the first new iPad in a year and a half
  • The iPad Pro likely won’t be updated for another year and a half and could miss out on some of the AI features announced just a month later if released with M3
  • Apple not looking good strategically on all fronts right now (sales declines, Vision Pro being super expensive and interest waning, not a lot of obvious upgrades left for the iPhone, Mac, or iPad, very incremental updates in recent years) which could make them be more competitive with this product
  • This iPad seemingly got delayed multiple times. Maybe it was due to the M4 chip?
  • M4 chip is supposedly based on a better and cheaper chip foundation than M3
Not good for Mac sales. Why should anyone buy an outdated M3 Mac after the M4 is available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.