Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
I think so many threads are created on this topic because so many people think the iPad is an alternative to a computer. And I think that’s a mistake. It’s not what the iPad is for, even if some people are able to get away with it.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I barely use a computer anymore, I use my iPhone for everything, including running my business. Someone else mentioned he does the same. And I’m sure many other people do as well. But that doesn’t mean that the iPhone is a computer replacement and that Mac OS X should be put onto iPhones. It’s the same with an iPad.
When people pay $1500+ for a "computing" device with Magic keyboard and trackpad they are going to have basic expectations of what it can do whether warranted or not and Apple certainly isn't discouraging those expectations.
The point isn't whether iPad is currently a laptop replacement, the point is that it COULD be very easily if Apple let it. I'm not just talking about iPad running MacOS.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
When people pay $1500+ for a "computing" device with Magic keyboard and trackpad they are going to have basic expectations of what it can do whether warranted or not and Apple certainly isn't discouraging those expectations.
The point isn't whether iPad is currently a laptop replacement, the point is that it COULD be very easily if Apple let it. I'm not just talking about iPad running MacOS.

For $1500 I go on more than expectations and I look more deeply than ads.

Reactions: souko

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Exactly, this is the point right here. For the price one pays, the device should be able to do it all, and it can't.

With the Surface Pro 9, one could argue it is the perfect note-taking/artist's laptop that is a pretty sucky tablet. But it is capable of doing it all.

With the M2 iPad Pro, one could argue it is the perfect tablet, but a terrible laptop. There is always all this talk about "switching to the way you have to do it on an iPad" or "discovering new workflows."

I have an idea, how about giving me a real file manager and ability to attach all peripherals--and that is for starters. Allow me to run professional programs. XCode, terminal, etc.,

Instead it is literally the same as a basic iPad--it can just work with more layers in Procreate, or compile 4k video faster. But that is it. It is almost criminally under-utilizing its potential. Which is really weird since it is using the same core OS as Mac. So just open a bit more of it up please and make it worthwhile to own a pro device.

Here is what I want. Instead of having to carry around a 13" macbook and a 12.9" iPad Pro, combine both and charge me $2,000. And the race is on, because once Snapdragon X Elite is out, someone will actually perfect running Android and Windows on the same device and it will be a game changer.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
depends on what you are doing. I have a AMD threadripper/Nvidia 4090 workstation, M1 Max MBP 16 with 64 GB RAM. I can use an extra device in my workflow, it came down to MBA Vs iPad Pro. I picked an iPad Pro, and had to adapt to the device. Best decision I ever made, I can do code reviews, launch visual studio from github in safari, run code, pretty much take it anywhere and have access to my workflow. To me MBA was inferior experience, low quality screen, not much more capable for what I need from the device. I couldnt care less about file system.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
depends on what you are doing. I have a AMD threadripper/Nvidia 4090 workstation, M1 Max MBP 16 with 64 GB RAM. I can use an extra device in my workflow, it came down to MBA Vs iPad Pro. I picked an iPad Pro, and had to adapt to the device. Best decision I ever made, I can do code reviews, launch visual studio from github in safari, run code, pretty much take it anywhere and have access to my workflow. To me MBA was inferior experience, low quality screen, not much more capable for what I need from the device. I couldnt care less about file system.
I'll bite. What IDE are you using to do all this code review and how do you get visual studio on there?

Reactions: rb2112

Clockerjohn

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
Those are unrealistic expectations. It really couldn’t get any more simple than that.

And it doesn’t matter if it could easily be a laptop replacement, it only matters that it’s not. And it’s not promoted as such, anyone who is expecting it to be is in the wrong. You don’t buy a car and then complain that it can’t fly.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Those are unrealistic expectations. It really couldn’t get any more simple than that.

And it doesn’t matter if it could easily be a laptop replacement, it only matters that it’s not. And it’s not promoted as such, anyone who is expecting it to be is in the wrong. You don’t buy a car and then complain that it can’t fly.
The ads tell you that it may be able to fly. That's the issue.

Clockerjohn

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
Exactly, this is the point right here. For the price one pays, the device should be able to do it all, and it can't.
This is an example of what’s wrong. Your opinion of what it should be is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what it is.

Many people have iPhones that cost more than the new MacBook Air. The price of the iPhone doesn’t mean it should be able to do “it all”

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
This is an example of what’s wrong. Your opinion of what it should be is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what it is.

Many people have iPhones that cost more than the new MacBook Air. The price of the iPhone doesn’t mean it should be able to do “it all”
That's fine, and it's why the top end of the iPad market is completely stagnant. But I agree.

Clockerjohn

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
That's fine, and it's why the top end of the iPad market is completely stagnant. But I agree.
You’re clearly just mad because this billion dollar company that knows exactly what they are doing isn’t making a product exactly the way that you want it. Maybe you should write them a letter and give them a piece of your mind.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
The weekly “iPad Pro needs MacOS” thread 🫠.

If you did any research at all before buying your iPad, then you would know whether or not it would fit your workflow. (If you didn’t and it was a gift? Why are you complaining, use it for what it does well and stick to your old workflow.)

Yes the iPad Pro and the whole iPad lineup in general has some flaws. Like some of the other comments I’ve seen, Apple’s limitations and restrictions are so frustrating and I’m excited to see how the DOJ lawsuit plays out.

You know there’s a reason why Apple doesn’t make the “What’s a computer” ads anymore right?
So what was the reason it once did make the ad?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I'll bite. What IDE are you using to do all this code review and how do you get visual studio on there?
I use github, you can access visual studio in safari with github.dev, and github spaces is free for 30-60 hours a month to execute or validate code. I use mostly Python and C++, with occasional swift or C. All my code is synced and triggered with github/CICD actions. Its pretty easy to sync between my MBP/Linux workstation or if i boot to windows on my linux workstation. I use free Termius on Ipad pro for terminal, which is amazing considering I can maintain all my commands/activity accross Linux and MBP in single place. My MBP and Linux Workstation pretty much run on Max load, Here is sample snapshot from my MBP working on a 300GB Data set, and taxing 80% CPU and 80% GPU. I have Jupyter environment setup for inference or testing, which I pretty much use with my iPad Pro in bed. I had a severe car accident an year ago, with head and neck injuries. iPad Pro is more portable, and top heavy, which fits my ergonomic needs.
173GB Mem.png

Like I said, I didnt try to convert ipad Pro in to laptop, but leverage its advantages. As some one who pushes all my devices ot max, I dont think iPad pro can ever run Mac OS in compact form, unless it has bigger area to dissipate heat. My iPad Pro gets warm. If You need a full fledged computer buy one, iPad is not for every one. Its funny when people say you cant use ipad Professionally. It has become my goto device to trigger, monitor my pipelines, in cloud, local and other day I setup a Cluster of Apache Spark to process over 3 TB Data per day using an iPad.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022

Nobody is ever going to confuse an iPhone for a computer or what a computer can do. Screen size is different, Apple never shows iPhone with external keyboard even though it works, and there is no pointer. Put a MacBook Air and an an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard side by side and they look very similar with a similar price and all the same applications names.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I use github, you can access visual studio in safari with github.dev, and github spaces is free for 30-60 hours a month to execute or validate code. I use mostly Python and C++, with occasional swift or C. All my code is synced and triggered with github/CICD actions. Its pretty easy to sync between my MBP/Linux workstation or if i boot to windows on my linux workstation. I use free Termius on Ipad pro for terminal, which is amazing considering I can maintain all my commands/activity accross Linux and MBP in single place. My MBP and Linux Workstation pretty much run on Max load, Here is sample snapshot from my MBP working on a 300GB Data set, and taxing 80% CPU and 80% GPU. I have Jupyter environment setup for inference or testing, which I pretty much use with my iPad Pro in bed. I had a severe car accident an year ago, with head and neck injuries. iPad Pro is more portable, and top heavy, which fits my ergonomic needs. View attachment 2364960

Like I said, I didnt try to convert ipad Pro in to laptop, but leverage its advantages. As some one who pushes all my devices ot max, I dont think iPad pro can ever run Mac OS in compact form, unless it has bigger area to dissipate heat. My iPad Pro gets warm. If You need a full fledged computer buy one, iPad is not for every one. Its funny when people say you cant use ipad Professionally. It has become my goto device to trigger, monitor my pipelines, in cloud, local and other day I setup a Cluster of Apache Spark to process over 3 TB Data per day using an iPad.
You have to admit though, that not everyone has the same professional needs. Some of us have corporate environs with which we have to develop. So we need a full fledged dev environment with smart card abilities. So then what? That's what I mean. Just because you can make it work with all this convolution, doesn't mean everyone can.

And we would all have said that Mac can't be fanless before the M1, so Apple can deal with the heat on an iPad Pro that runs Mac.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You’re clearly just mad because this billion dollar company that knows exactly what they are doing isn’t making a product exactly the way that you want it. Maybe you should write them a letter and give them a piece of your mind.
Mad is doing a lot of work in that statement. I would say that I am not mad at all. I was disappointed, but that is why I buy old iPad Pros now that are fine for what I ask them to do. Which ain't much. It's a companion device to my Macbook. Just like I don't ask my Macbook to game--that's my 4060 laptop.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
You have to admit though, that not everyone has the same professional needs. Some of us have corporate environs with which we have to develop. So we need a full fledged dev environment with smart card abilities. So then what? That's what I mean. Just because you can make it work with all this convolution, doesn't mean everyone can.

And we would all have said that Mac can't be fanless before the M1, so Apple can deal with the heat on an iPad Pro that runs Mac.
I don't see many smart card abilities today; half the world has moved to the cloud and lot of workflows don't need dedicated machines. If you have niche cases that need hardware smart card abilities or hardware dongles, it need dedicated devices with peripheral support. Like I said, do what works for you, its funny people hate on iPad like you cant do real work. It's much more valuable, the moment you stop making it a laptop, and use it to provide solutions to problems. The common theme with the iPad Pro is that people buy an iPad Pro searching for a use case or problem, not buy for a need. For my needs MBA is like a toy, I rather have an ipad Pro, which I use heavily to architect solutions, with an Apple pencil, rather than mouse or a keyboard.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jchap

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I don't see many smart card abilities today; half the world has moved to the cloud and lot of workflows don't need dedicated machines. If you have niche cases that need hardware smart card abilities or hardware dongles, it need dedicated devices with peripheral support. Like I said, do what works for you, its funny people hate on iPad like you cant do real work. It's much more valuable, the moment you stop making it a laptop, and use it to provide solutions to problems. The common theme with the iPad Pro is that people buy an iPad Pro searching for a use case or problem, not buy for a need. For my needs MBA is like a toy, I rather have an ipad Pro, which I use heavily to architect solutions, with an Apple pencil, rather than mouse or a keyboard.
So your advice is to get my massively large employer to no longer use smart cards? Because that toy, as you call it, can do all of that and more--where any iPad Pro cannot.

Portavoz

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2022
Nobody is "mad". I just find it interesting that Apple has hit a dead end on iPad Pro and they just keep digging. A base iPad is all anyone actually "needs" given the capabilities of iPadOS yet Apple continues to push the iPad Pro hardware without addressing the software. This years iPad Pro hardware will outshine even the Mac with OLED screen and with Magic Keyboard cost more, yet it is still stuck with the same crippled OS and closed application ecosystem. The discrepancy between hardware and software has never been more glaring on a product line than it is with iPad Pro. That is the point not what we want or expect.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
So your advice is to get my employer to no longer use smart cards?
No. Use whatever works with your employer. I don't understand why people get emotional with FOMO purchases and then look for problems/uses to justify emotional purchases or get disappointed if they can't come up with valid reasons months later. Buy something, evaluate it, and send it back within the return window if it is not what is needed.

Reactions: tbayrgs and brucemr

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
No. Use whatever works with your employer. I don't understand why people get emotional with FOMO purchases and then look for problems/uses to justify emotional purchases or get disappointed if they cant come up with valid reason months later. Buy something, evaluate, return if it is not what is needed.
Exactly, now we are in agreement. That was my entire point. The iPad Pro is a professional device for you.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
I recently spoke to a commercial airline pilot who said he would never be caught dead with a laptop in the cockpit. For him iPad is THE device.

What are your thoughts iPad skeptics? Not everyone codes or edits videos.

Reactions: alecgold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.