Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Hi all,.....I just purchased a 2021 iPad Pro, M1, 12.9", wifi, and have a couple of questions. We camp a lot, and most of the time the wifi in the campgrounds is far from the best, and my new iPad is having issues connecting/staying connected, and buffers a bit sometimes; I even have buffering when hot spotted to my iPhone, which I keep on LTE.

On the other hand, my 2017 MacBook Pro 13" has much better connectivity overall.

I know the MacBooks have better antennas than an iPhone, simply because it's larger, but I was hoping to replace my MBP with the iPad Pro, but if the antennas on the 12.9" are not as good as a MBP, I may need to rethink this.

Have any of you guys experienced similar?

Thank you

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
The 2.4 GHz band will actually reach further than the 5 GHz.
I am aware. But if the 5Ghz-band is available it will provide faster speeds - besides there might be less devices booked in (I have no experience with camping ground WLAN, but e.g. the WLAN at my faculty is quite populated on 2.4GHz and less on the 5Ghz.)

Last edited:

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Basically I‘m looking to find out if anyone out there has noticed if their iPad Pro 12.9” has more connectivity and speed issues than their MBP.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
This doesn't sound normal. The antenna of the MacBook is in the frame of the display, where the iPad's is on the top edge, they aren't that different in size.

Try to download any one of those WiFi signal testing apps on the iPad to check your camp site coverage. Apps like NetSpot has a Mac version as well which you can cross check this also on your MacBook for even more conclusive data. These apps can also scan the campsite radio bands status and other interferring SSIDs to give you a better idea of what band to use or even where to position your devices if you do a floor plan scan.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I spend one day of our weekends in a lab inside of a old building with thick cement walls. This means wifi access is horrible. We have no problem connecting with our MBPs but the iPad Pro 11 will go in and out. The MacBooks definitely have better wifi reception than the iPad.

We also notice sometimes a problem where the iPad will constantly disconnect from an iPhone hotspot - just restart the iPhone and the problem goes away (volume up, volume down, hold power) (just had this problem yesterday).

Reactions: koigirl

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I have noticed m1 my iPad Pro 12.9" has significantly worse wifi performance than any other wireless device we have, especially the iPhone 13 Pro and the MacBook Pro. I was considering taking it in for service. Anyone else see this is issue?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have noticed m1 my iPad Pro 12.9" has significantly worse wifi performance than any other wireless device we have, especially the iPhone 13 Pro and the MacBook Pro. I was considering taking it in for service. Anyone else see this is issue?
I see comparable performance among my M1 12.9, Mini 6, 12 Pro Max, and Win11 laptop (all being very good).

Reactions: Zigman

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
If you're tethering to the iPhone for the connection, it should stay active as long as you're actively using the iPad and the phone is getting a good signal. I do find though that in areas with bad signal, that slowness can feel amplified on a tethered device. I'm not sure it's your device causing the issue, but it's worth getting it looked at. Just don't expect any major revelations from the Apple store people--they are largely just going through flowcharts.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Hi all,.....I just purchased a 2021 iPad Pro, M1, 12.9", wifi, and have a couple of questions. We camp a lot, and most of the time the wifi in the campgrounds is far from the best, and my new iPad is having issues connecting/staying connected, and buffers a bit sometimes; I even have buffering when hot spotted to my iPhone, which I keep on LTE.

On the other hand, my 2017 MacBook Pro 13" has much better connectivity overall.

I know the MacBooks have better antennas than an iPhone, simply because it's larger, but I was hoping to replace my MBP with the iPad Pro, but if the antennas on the 12.9" are not as good as a MBP, I may need to rethink this.

Have any of you guys experienced similar?

Thank you
This has been my experience with the M1 12.9” as well. WiFi reception is worse than any other device I own.

Edit: Oops I thought this was a new post. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.