Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Since stage manager and the new display updates, these M1 iPad Pros are clearly trying to make these more suitable for Apple’s philosophy of these being potential laptop replacements for the correct target audience. With this I think comes the argument that these iPads need more ports.

Yes, these come with a great multi functional USB C port that can do all sorts of things with various dongles, as well as the ability to hook up to monitors directly, but if these are now meant to be used in a desktop setup hooked up to a monitor (even if occasionally), I think more ports are necessary for these to be in the same lane of usability as similarly sized, similarly weighing laptops.

I think the future of these iPads needs models with at least 2 ports. Even though I think it’s still a bit silly that tablets being marketed as pro don’t come with headphone jacks, whether that’s for thinness or the ‘future movement’, I can understand and accept that since the usb c ports of course can be used as direct audio routing.

The magic keyboard gives a dedicated charging port, but that’s it. Hook up the iPad to a monitor with a usb c cable and another direct usb-c connection is impossible. I think it’s about time that iPad pros, especially the bigger models, get more ports.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Sure, it would be a nice to have... but I am not feeling terribly pressured by the lack of. Today my use case for the port is external storage, and the dedicated charging port of the keyboard is useful in allowing me to both charge and have a port free for storage. But also, I have my desktop already set up for a one port connect for my laptop via a CalDigit T3+ hub, to provide power, an external screen, a wired mouse, and external storage. Occasionally for kicks and grins I just connect my iPad Pro 12.9 to that, and voila, it works fine.

My point is, for the times I can envision wanting more ports, power, storage, display, keyboard and mouse, I am not mobile, but sitting at some desk and a simple hub does all that for me (doesn't have to be the T3+). And 99% of the time I am mobile, the one port is fine.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
More usbc/tb ports plus bigger screen. That’s the dream! I’m holding out on upgrading my 2018 for now just in case this happens to come within the next 12-18 months.

Reactions: jazz1

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
if only there were something… 🤔…what about we would call it… well… 🤓… let's call it… »a USB-C hub« 😇
The 12.9 iPad with magic keyboard only has one data port, considering that one port is occupied by the charger. It weighs more than the M1 Macbook Air which has two data ports, where many people already think that’s not enough ports either. That being said, the M1 Air has much better battery life so it can be used on battery power for longer to allow both ports to be accessible. It also comes with a headphone jack built in.

Even more factors can be considered such as wear on the ports, if the iPad had two then that’s twice as much durability. The iPad doesn’t need to be water proof or anything, so for a pro device I think another port would make sense.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Sure, it would be a nice to have... but I am not feeling terribly pressured by the lack of. Today my use case for the port is external storage, and the dedicated charging port of the keyboard is useful in allowing me to both charge and have a port free for storage. But also, I have my desktop already set up for a one port connect for my laptop via a CalDigit T3+ hub, to provide power, an external screen, a wired mouse, and external storage. Occasionally for kicks and grins I just connect my iPad Pro 12.9 to that, and voila, it works fine.

My point is, for the times I can envision wanting more ports, power, storage, display, keyboard and mouse, I am not mobile, but sitting at some desk and a simple hub does all that for me (doesn't have to be the T3+). And 99% of the time I am mobile, the one port is fine.

I find the same and use a multi-port hub when needed. If I'm using/carrying the peripherals and cables that require additional ports, also carrying the small hub is not onerous.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The 12.9 iPad with magic keyboard only has one data port, considering that one port is occupied by the charger. It weighs more than the M1 Macbook Air which has two data ports, where many people already think that’s not enough ports either. That being said, the M1 Air has much better battery life so it can be used on battery power for longer to allow both ports to be accessible. It also comes with a headphone jack built in.

Even more factors can be considered such as wear on the ports, if the iPad had two then that’s twice as much durability. The iPad doesn’t need to be water proof or anything, so for a pro device I think another port would make sense.

So buy an MBA? Not meaning to be flippant but there are different devices for a reason, to give you choice on what device for the task. Generally speaking the iPad is going to be the more portable device.

I would be more swayed by an iPad work flow case where a hub would be onerous and only two ports could do the job rather than a comparison to the MBA. Also, not sure I agree with you that we don't want the iPad to be as water resistant as possible, given the likelihood of it being outdoors. Finally, do recall 'bendgate' where people go out of their way to show the iPads bend. Structurally an iPad is not as rigid as an MBA, doesn't have the same amount of aluminum casing to screen ratio, poking holes in it to put in ports does not help.

but yes, would be nice to have.

• Angry
Reactions: newmacxc

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I don’t think extra ports is in Apple’s design for the iPad. Maybe on a future Magic Keyboard, sure, but probably not on the actual tablet.

I think they’re envisioning more of wireless everything (plus subscription services): iCloud for storage, AirPods and other bluetooth accessories for peripherals.

Likely so, given the financial boon that the services side has been for Apple.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
More usbc/tb ports plus bigger screen. That’s the dream! I’m holding out on upgrading my 2018 for now just in case this happens to come within the next 12-18 months.
I know the bigger screen is coming and I’m intrigued by it, but IMO… 12.9” is the sweet spot for how large a tablet should be.

Making it even bigger… Apple blur the lines in terms of it being a laptop or tablet. I totally get it… a large touch screen device, by that definition puts it into tablet category. Because it’s rumored to be 14” and I think the general use would be docking it to a keyboard/mouse.

Checking reviews of Samsung Tab S8 Ultra the angle most reviewers take is how it is with the keyboard/mouse… obviously, you can pick it up and use it that way. But having it stationary would be most consistent method it’s used and if that’s the case… wouldn’t that be considered a laptop.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
even if you “consider it to be a laptop” - if the functionality isn't implemented and/or the software is missing, it simply is not a laptop, is it?
Lol, here we go. I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “laptop.”

I’m only speaking in terms of how it’s used as in a stationary position docked to a keyboard… not on what software it’s missing.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Lol, here we go. I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “laptop.”

I’m only speaking in terms of how it’s used as in a stationary position docked to a keyboard… not on what software it’s missing.
I suggest to call it a stationary iPad then… just to differentiate. It’s nice to be precise, isn’t it?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Do the Pros support USB-C PD via a hub? If so then you’re not down a port at all. I honestly don’t know if that’s the case or not though as I don’t own one.

That aside, people don’t seem to understand that while the iPad is gaining functionality that laptops have, it is not intended to be a laptop.

Laptop replacement means it does the things laptops do, but because it’s a different product category it will do them a different way. Apple has a vision where the appropriate tool for the job at hand is used. I don’t see them adding more ports, with the exception of if they make a ludicrously larger iPad that is intended to be stationary most of the time.

The iPad is mobile first, laptops are not designed to be walked around with and used at the same time.

Reactions: Slartibart

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I suggest to call it a stationary iPad then… just to differentiate. It’s nice to be precise, isn’t it?
Okay, but that doesn’t really respond to my thoughts. Is a Surface a tablet or laptop… or should I call that a stationary Surface?

I didn’t think “laptop” would be such a trigger word, but then again… I‘m on Macrumors. However, essentially a laptop is considered computer attached to a keyboard according to Webster.

a size and design that makes operation and use on one's lap convenient

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Okay, but that doesn’t really respond to my thoughts. Is a Surface a tablet or laptop… or should I call that a stationary Surface?
but the demeanour has nothing to do with the geographical place/coordinates the device is placed… how silly would that be? - a MS Surface IS -or CAN seamingly used as - a laptop because there is nothing to differentiate it on OS-level from whatever other laptop (placeable on whatever physical surfaces on whatever physical coordinates 🤓)

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I know the bigger screen is coming and I’m intrigued by it, but IMO… 12.9” is the sweet spot for how large a tablet should be.

Making it even bigger… Apple blur the lines in terms of it being a laptop or tablet. I totally get it… a large touch screen device, by that definition puts it into tablet category. Because it’s rumored to be 14” and I think the general use would be docking it to a keyboard/mouse.

Checking reviews of Samsung Tab S8 Ultra the angle most reviewers take is how it is with the keyboard/mouse… obviously, you can pick it up and use it that way. But having it stationary would be most consistent method it’s used and if that’s the case… wouldn’t that be considered a laptop.
Well, it would be an iPad. So no, I perhaps wouldn’t consider it to be a laptop per se. A larger iPad is what it would be. For those of us that need an iPad and want more port and a bigger screen, I would just consider it to be exactly that.

A hub is necessary item, but to be able to have a charging port plus a port for a hub (pass through charging hubs are quite limited most of the time - especially with an external screen), I would consider an important and useful upgrade.

Reactions: TheSynchronizer

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
but the demeanour has nothing to do with the geographical place/coordinates the device is placed… how silly would that be? - a MS Surface IS -or CAN seamingly used as - a laptop because there is nothing to differentiate it on OS-level from whatever other laptop (placeable on whatever physical surfaces on whatever physical coordinates 🤓)
I’m just toying with you on the idea on how society has coined “laptop.”

I’m fully aware that MS Surface with a keyboard attached can be used as a laptop… but that doesn’t stop someone from using it as a tablet. But because of the operating system it uses… then we classify it as a laptop. Whereas the iPad can be attached with a keyboard, but due to the operating system that stops it from being considered a laptop.

So, by your logic… if the operating system dictates what’s considered a laptop, what features does an operating system needs to justify that label?

Well, it would be an iPad. So no, I perhaps wouldn’t consider it to be a laptop per se. A larger iPad is what it would be. For those of us that need an iPad and want more port and a bigger screen, I would just consider it to be exactly that.
Good point. I think that bigger screen would lead to less portability that’s all.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I’m just toying with you on the idea on how society has coined “laptop.”
I spare myself to look up the semantic differentiation on what is defined as desktop and what is as a laptop - a dictionary will be adequately useful here I presume.
I’m fully aware that MS Surface with a keyboard attached can be used as a laptop… but that doesn’t stop someone from using it as a tablet.
Well, if a person can speak English AND French, how does this relate to another person who speaks just French? Additionally see my next comment.
But because of the operating system it uses… then we classify it as a laptop. Whereas the iPad can be attached with a keyboard, but due to the operating system that stops it from being considered a laptop.
Because it’s a tablet just with a connected peripherals. Nobody can negate that today laptops allow in principal - that is in hard- and software - the same computation as desktops, they are just more portable. The iPad does not allow the same kind of computations than e.g. the Mac.

So, by your logic… if the operating system dictates what’s considered a laptop, what features does an operating system needs to justify that label?
see above. Btw. I never said that the OS dictates the definition, what I said is that the physical/geographical location does NOT determine it. IMHO this looks like some form of logical fallacy. 🤓

Anyway, you seem to want to present your opinion on “what makes a laptop” and that an iPad - or maybe a tablet in general ? - today, using the right approach and mind set, occupies the same evolutionary niche than said laptop, “just more 21th century”, displacing it even in a future, if not now.

And you are right - as long as you look only on added peripherals and where you can physically/geographically place it. Then for sure, it’s a laptop.

But if you look on todays gamut of practical, professional, commercial, heck, general computational applicability, well, it's far from one.

It would be grand if it were otherwise - but the reality simply presents itself different. Every iPad model as well as iPadOS so far, is limited - the origins for this are manifold and MR is full of threads where we all discuss passionately why this is, why the iPad is great anyway, why not, or who wears the trousers… to name just a few of the "local" subjects. 😎

The iPad never tried to do everything. But it does one a few things well.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
And you are right - as long as you look only on added peripherals and where you can physically/geographically place it. Then for sure, it’s a laptop.
This.

Thanks for the whole explanation 😉. But that’s the point I’m making… it’s how it’s physically used. A computer comes in many forms… an iPad by definition is a computer (however limited it might be in comparison to a Mac/PC), if I choose to attach a keyboard with it… I’m technically using it as a laptop. If I decide to hook it up via external monitor with mouse and keyboard… I’m using it as a desktop.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Good point. I think that bigger screen would lead to less portability that’s all.
That’s true but it doesn’t really matter as long as they still offer smaller versions. Those that want a bigger screen are generally aware it will necessitate a bigger and less portable product, and don’t mind the compromise.

I use my iPad as a Wacom replacement with my macs, and as a laptop replacement when away from home using jump desktop, and the iPads own native functionality. I have been doing this since 2018 and aside a few hurdles which meant I have had to change the way I do certain things, it’s been working well. I also have a nice NAS server running some docker apps to allow certain restrictions to be bypassed, downloading torrents for example.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
For the money and weight that current Magic Keyboard commands they should come with internal battery that powers iPad, dont care about it becoming as thick as iPad and more ports, 3.5mm audio and sd card reader and at least one usb4 port.
iPad Pro itself should get 3.5mm port back and gain one more additional usb4/tb port.
But they chose to cash in on form over function with MKB.
Surface Book comes to mind as one example and there were news recently about similar Apple patent, tho not sure when and if it will see light of day.

Reactions: TheSynchronizer

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Since stage manager and the new display updates, these M1 iPad Pros are clearly trying to make these more suitable for Apple’s philosophy of these being potential laptop replacements for the correct target audience. With this I think comes the argument that these iPads need more ports.

Yes, these come with a great multi functional USB C port that can do all sorts of things with various dongles, as well as the ability to hook up to monitors directly, but if these are now meant to be used in a desktop setup hooked up to a monitor (even if occasionally), I think more ports are necessary for these to be in the same lane of usability as similarly sized, similarly weighing laptops.

I think the future of these iPads needs models with at least 2 ports. Even though I think it’s still a bit silly that tablets being marketed as pro don’t come with headphone jacks, whether that’s for thinness or the ‘future movement’, I can understand and accept that since the usb c ports of course can be used as direct audio routing.

The magic keyboard gives a dedicated charging port, but that’s it. Hook up the iPad to a monitor with a usb c cable and another direct usb-c connection is impossible. I think it’s about time that iPad pros, especially the bigger models, get more ports.
One USB-C port on each short side would help cable management as well.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Making it even bigger… Apple blur the lines in terms of it being a laptop or tablet.
No. Touch and pencil is the differentiator.
Because it’s rumored to be 14” and I think the general use would be docking it to a keyboard/mouse.
No but if so buy a Mac.
Reviewers always review iPad Pro with keyboard and trackpad. iPad is primarily for touch and pencil which reviewers has not grasped or they have no competence to review these features so they are reviewing tablets in laptop mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.