Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I am one of the few out there with sensitive eyes who struggles to find an iPad or laptop that is comfortable without causing some sort of eye strain.
As a result, due to low pricing and the longer return policy, I have bought two iPads in the last 3-4 months at Costco that I tried out for a month or so, and eventually returned due to eye strain.

I am considering another that is on sale now (Pro 11" M2, on sale for $699), that I of course will keep if it works for me- and in the chance that it does cause me discomfort that I don't get over in a few weeks, I may have to resort to returning it, too.

I feel horrible about this and have not yet bought the Pro out of concern for doing this and being a problem for Costco- or worse yet, getting a warning from them or being banned as a member.

Any thoughts out there from anyone else in a similar boat- have you gone through multiple iPads (or MacBooks) at Costco and had any trouble?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I have never had issues either Costco returns but I never had to return multiple Apple products. I would be surprised if it matters to them.

Reactions: jm31828

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I have never had issues either Costco returns but I never had to return multiple Apple products. I would be surprised if it matters to them.
I, too, have never had any issues making a return at Costco. OP, you''re talking about returning three iPads over several months. Very unlikely that will even be noticed. Start returning three a day - that might be an issue.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I, too, have never had any issues making a return at Costco. OP, you''re talking about returning three iPads over several months. Very unlikely that will even be noticed. Start returning three a day - that might be an issue.
Great point on that volume, I suppose.
Mix that in with the volume of purchases we make there- weekly shopping trips- and I suppose these don't necessarily stand out.

Reactions: ericwn

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Costco won't bother ya. Family's been shopping at Costco for over 25 yrs.. No issues even with multiple electronics returns, of course within reason w/o abusing the policy! Still remember when there was no 90 day limit on electronics returns.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Costco won't bother ya. Family's been shopping at Costco for over 25 yrs.. No issues even with multiple electronics returns, of course within reason w/o abusing the policy! Still remember when there was no 90 day limit on electronics returns.
Yeah, I have to say 90 days feels pretty extravagant- I can't imagine the days where it was unlimited!

I felt bad bringing one of these ipads in at like day 60, like I was abusing the policy. :( But the lady at the desk was great- I explained why I was returning it, and she was 100% supportive of getting it returned and maybe trying another device.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah, I have to say 90 days feels pretty extravagant- I can't imagine the days where it was unlimited!

I felt bad bringing one of these ipads in at like day 60, like I was abusing the policy. :( But the lady at the desk was great- I explained why I was returning it, and she was 100% supportive of getting it returned and maybe trying another device.

Happy customers are repeat customers and pass on positive reviews to others - it's good for business though some companies fail to realize that.

Reactions: jetsam

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Happy customers are repeat customers and pass on positive reviews to others - it's good for business though some companies fail to realize that.
Yeah, true.

What I was also curious about was what they do with these, and if they really even lose any money. There is a binder they take out, specific only to Apple products where they document the date, serial number, receipt number- and they verify the device has been wiped. The lady was saying that Apple won't take them back if the device hasn't been wiped (of course, makes sense).
So I wonder if they don't take a real loss- they have a deal with Apple where these go back for full or almost-full credit? Maybe it's just an extension of the "no questions asked" return policy Apple has- knowing the volume Costco would be able to sell and the added exposure that provides, they allow Costco to provide a larger 90 day window for sending those back, and then Apple takes them back for full credit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.