Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Which iPad is the best for the following that I would use it for? WiFi or cellular+WiFi?

Taking and storing lots of photos
Email
Texting
Internet / Facebook
Word Processing like Pages
Periodically making a spread sheet with Numbers.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You have asked two separate questions for which there is no fixed answer. Depends.

1. WiFi vs Cellular/Wifi

2. Best iPad for the applications that you have listed.

For question 1 it depends upon where you are using your iPad. If you always are in locations where WiFi is available then the extra cost of the cellular iPad and the required data plan (often $10 a month or so) might not be worth it. If, however, you are often in locations where WiFi is not available and you need access immediately then cellular might make sense.

The applications that you listed are not particularly demanding and almost every iPad model will handle them easily. The exception is photos. You need to determine exactly how much storage you need. For maximum storage capabilities you would need the iPad Pro with 1 TB of storage. But you're talking almost $2k with WiFi and cellular. An iPad mini with 256 GB will be $679, an iPad with $128 will be $559.

If you are going to be doing any processing of your photos on the iPad and want close to desktop power in Photoshop or other apps then the Pro model would give you the best performance.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Any model can do all of those things well. As to "best..."

For example:

A large display makes working on spreadsheets and image editing easier.
A large iPad tends to be more unwieldy to hold while taking photos than a smaller model.

While it can be great to have a huge display while composing a photo, I prefer a more compact camera in my hands.

I know what I prefer, but what's best for YOU?

Sticking with cameras, both iPad Pro models have the same cameras, so you can choose the preferred display size without compromising your camera decision. iPad Pro has a 12 MB image sensor and a f 1.8 lens aperture - basically the same as the iPhone Xs and Xr.

iPad Air, iPad, and iPad Mini are more affordable, but the camera is less capable - 8 MB image sensor and an f 2.4 lens aperture in all cases.

None of the iPads have the dual-lens configuration of the iPhone Xs.

So, how important is photography compared to the other features you listed?

Then there's word processing. All iPads have more than enough power to do word processing (as well as emailing, texting, Internet/Facebook, and spreadsheets). The decision will come down to other considerations than raw power.

For me, I usually write with a web browser open alongside my word processing window. Maybe you need/would like to do that, maybe you don't. All iPads can do that, but again, a larger display makes that easier/more effective.

I'm also a touch typist who prefers a physical keyboard. If you prefer a physical keyboard, keep reading this paragraph. If not, ignore it. While you're not obligated to use Apple's Smart Keyboard as your physical keyboard, size of display/iPad does affect the size of the accompanying Smart Keyboard. You'd want to try them on for size before making a decision.

In the end, I think the "best" iPad is the one you're most likely to use. In my experience, that has more to do with size than with other considerations. Is it too big to want to carry around on a regular basis? Is the display too small for your needs? Is it easy to hold in your hands?

If there was only one "best," Apple could offer just one model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.