Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Soooo... tomorrow I have an appointment with my local apple store to see why my iPad isn't charging or why my mac cant see it when I plug it in. The person on the phone told me that they would most probably just give me a new one. I have the Wifi model, Do you think I would be able to convince them to give me a 3G + Wifi if i pay the difference (£100)?

Thanks

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Hmmm. Must say it's very unlikely, at least in the US. Maybe it's different in the UK? They always replace with exact same model. How old is your WIfi only iPad? If it's in return window, they might waive the restocking fee. I've seen several posts saying the store managers could waive the fee on the spot for them upgrading to higher capacity model in the past. They might do the same for wifi - wifi+3G.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Hmmm. Must say it's very unlikely, at least in the US. Maybe it's different in the UK? They always replace with exact same model. How old is your WIfi only iPad? If it's in return window, they might waive the restocking fee. I've seen several posts saying the store managers could waive the fee on the spot for them upgrading to higher capacity model in the past. They might do the same for wifi - wifi+3G.

unfortunately its out of the return window because i got it in the US even before it was released here in the UK.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
unfortunately its out of the return window because i got it in the US even before it was released here in the UK.

OK, then you probably wanna check to see if they'll honor the international warranty before anything else. Looks like the info surrounding this is a bit mixed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/924804/

Even if they accept warranty "repair" which is a standard swap as they always do for the i devices, Im highly doubtful they'll let you upgrade to 3G model as your iPad is supposed to be for the US distribution to start with.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
OK, then you probably wanna check to see if they'll honor the international warranty before anything else. Looks like the info surrounding this is a bit mixed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/924804/

Even if they accept warranty "repair" which is a standard swap as they always do for the i devices, Im highly doubtful they'll let you upgrade to 3G model as your iPad is supposed to be for the US distribution to start with.

Apparently thats not a problem. When I gave them the serial number the person said it was bought in the US (and I thought in my head that she was going to say they wouldn't fix it.) But she said that it isn't a problem, since the warranty is international.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
That's a good news (international warranty part). Maybe japan is a special case bacause of softbank sim lock.

I'm still doubtful about 3G upgrade from the warranty, but I think you'll have no problem selling the wifi one and get 3G without losing much money. Do it after you get the unit swapped and you can probably make some profit to cover a part of the upgrade cost.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Soooo... tomorrow I have an appointment with my local apple store to see why my iPad isn't charging or why my mac cant see it when I plug it in. The person on the phone told me that they would most probably just give me a new one. I have the Wifi model, Do you think I would be able to convince them to give me a 3G + Wifi if i pay the difference (£100)?

Thanks

Interesting problem you are having. I posted a thread about having the same problem. I have an appointment @ the Apple store later this week to get it replaced. Connector was working fine one day and the next morning nothing....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/929012/

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Interesting problem you are having. I posted a thread about having the same problem. I have an appointment @ the Apple store later this week to get it replaced. Connector was working fine one day and the next morning nothing....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/929012/

The problem you reported is exactly like mine. It was from one day to the next. Very strange. I tried restoring it by holding the home button not even then did itunes see the ipad.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I'd suggest bringing everything with it, box included, just in case that helps. Good luck!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Thanks

Hopefully you can, I was never able to get my black iPhone swapped for white while having warranty replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.