Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I noticed that Safari allows the address bar to be on the bottom for the iPhone, but no option exists for the iPad. I hold my iPad mini at the bottom, so anytime I need to use the back button I'm forced to move one hand up to the top. Is there a browser out there that'd let me have the address bar down at the bottom, or maybe knows of a way to make that happen with Safari? It's strange to me that the option exists for one but not the other.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Was there a large demand for this?

Seems a change for the sake of making change

Perhaps not, but I found it strange that Safari would have the setting on iOS but not iPadOS, since I presume much of the underlying code is identical.

The iPad mini is a perfect size to hold like a book, so it's just nice to have the navigation buttons down where my thumbs already are. Incidentally the back button for the NY Times app is down at the bottom left, so they've realized the same thing.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Perhaps not, but I found it strange that Safari would have the setting on iOS but not iPadOS, since I presume much of the underlying code is identical.

The iPad mini is a perfect size to hold like a book, so it's just nice to have the navigation buttons down where my thumbs already are. Incidentally the back button for the NY Times app is down at the bottom left, so they've realized the same thing.
i suspect a large percentage of iPad users don’t use them hand held, at least when browsing. I do realized that the mini is different in that regard. You might want to give Apple a Feedback to ask for that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.