Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
I’ve had this ipad pro since late 2021, it’s 11” and I think is the 2021 model. Using the latest OS. It’s overall a great device. However there is frequently if not always a persistent annoying element about it, that is that often I have to swipe up, left or right, etc. multiple times to get the touch screen to respond. Now that I’m typing this post and having just restarted the device, it seems fine at the moment. But it really happens way too often and even though it *might* have been fixed for now, it goes back to the old behavior so often that I just get used to it.

So, I guess this is partly a minor complaint or “rant” thread, but also an inquiry for help: if others have had this issue, how you address it?

Although the screen unresponsiveness or lag happens with a number of gestures, by far the most noticeable one, the most frequent way to get it to happen is to swipe left on the home screen, to get to my 2nd set of apps. That’s probably the gesture I do most often in my use of the device, and it takes 2, 3, maybe more times to get it to work. And restarting helps, but only sometimes and only temporarily. It also happens with other common gestures too, like swiping up to get the row of taskbar apps.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. I’ve searched the forums and found this thread but nothing more recent than that one, from 2020.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I’ve had this ipad pro since late 2021, it’s 11” and I think is the 2021 model. Using the latest OS. It’s overall a great device. However there is frequently if not always a persistent annoying element about it, that is that often I have to swipe up, left or right, etc. multiple times to get the touch screen to respond. Now that I’m typing this post and having just restarted the device, it seems fine at the moment. But it really happens way too often and even though it *might* have been fixed for now, it goes back to the old behavior so often that I just get used to it.

So, I guess this is partly a minor complaint or “rant” thread, but also an inquiry for help: if others have had this issue, how you address it?

Although the screen unresponsiveness or lag happens with a number of gestures, by far the most noticeable one, the most frequent way to get it to happen is to swipe left on the home screen, to get to my 2nd set of apps. That’s probably the gesture I do most often in my use of the device, and it takes 2, 3, maybe more times to get it to work. And restarting helps, but only sometimes and only temporarily. It also happens with other common gestures too, like swiping up to get the row of taskbar apps.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. I’ve searched the forums and found this thread but nothing more recent than that one, from 2020.
iPadOS version (about in settings) and what peripherals are you using?
Is it fine directly after a restart and slowly degrades? Does it happen after you used specific apps?
How long has this been going on for? Since you got the device?

I have seen a similar behavior to what you describe but its in a specific app (tv app) but that seems to be solved after a few seconds or restart of the app.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Hm just the magic keyboard as far as peripherals, iPad OS 10.3. Not related to specific apps at least not that I can tell. Has been like this about a year. … But it’s fine now and last night! So that’s good. Not sure if it happens slowly or quickly, regressing back to slow/laggy. I’d be glad to be wrong though and have it working this well for longer! Fingers crossed, but i’ve been through this cycle before and 1-2 days usually is when it goes back to previous behavior. Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep monitoring it.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Hm just the magic keyboard as far as peripherals, iPad OS 10.3. Not related to specific apps at least not that I can tell. Has been like this about a year. … But it’s fine now and last night! So that’s good. Not sure if it happens slowly or quickly, regressing back to slow/laggy. I’d be glad to be wrong though and have it working this well for longer! Fingers crossed, but i’ve been through this cycle before and 1-2 days usually is when it goes back to previous behavior. Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep monitoring it.
Someone mentioned some sort of magic keyboard bug with the pro in another thread. I managed to find the Apple page where this is discussed, most seem to run 17.3 and an external keyboard.
When reading a bit more down in the thread it doesn't seem to only affect Safary but more apps.

Reactions: ndouglas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
That’s interesting, thanks for the link. I am pretty sure it didn’t just start at OS 17.3 but it has been quite good the past few days since turning it on and off. I do use the keyboard a lot but I also find the same or similar lag when not using it. I use the Apple pencil too, less often, but those are my main peripherals. Fingers crossed that it stays snappy at is it currently!

And as you likely guessed I meant 17.3 earlier not 10.3. 🤗

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.