Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased an Ipad mini 6th gen off of ebay. I want to make sure that ALL data from the previous owner is completely eradicated. What is the best option for a secure erase on an ipad? Is all of the data encrpyted from the start like Macs, and when you reset it deletes the encryption keys?

What about older ipads? I have a 10.5 inch Gen 1 Ipad pro from 2017/2018 that I would like to completely sanitize as well.

Thank you for all the info!

kd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
Thanks for the info!

I guess I am wondering if this renders all previously written/deleted data unrecoverable? My understanding is that the data will remain until it is overwritten, despite being reset to factory settings. Is that the case?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the info!

I guess I am wondering if this renders all previously written/deleted data unrecoverable? My understanding is that the data will remain until it is overwritten, despite being reset to factory settings. Is that the case?
It's the same deal as with your other thread about the Mac. Erase All Content and Settings deletes the key, and the old data is not recoverable.

Reactions: kd1

kd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2024
It's the same deal as with your other thread about the Mac. Erase All Content and Settings deletes the key, and the old data is not recoverable.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it. You all are so helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.