Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
When activating Siri or dictation, the beep noise happens twice. This is only on my iPad 2017 9.7”. My iPhone 6S does not do this. Anybody else see this on their devices?

This was present on public beta 12 and now the GM release as well.

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Nobody is willing to take half a second and press their home button to help me know if I’ll need to wipe my device or not?

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
hasnt it always beeped twice? It stopped doing so on phones since ios10 or something though

eicca

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I don't mean like the "ding ding" like it's supposed to make, my iPad goes "di- ding-ding." So like once and a half. Dictation goes "di- ding"

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Oh. Works fine for me on iPad Air 2. Latest beta. On my phone, sometimes under 11, the audio cuts out and a notification comes in sounding like a buzz and repeats but that’s about it. Haven’t seen it happen in 12 yet

FreekieGeekie

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
When activating Siri or dictation, the beep noise happens twice. This is only on my iPad 2017 9.7”. My iPhone 6S does not do this. Anybody else see this on their devices?

This was present on public beta 12 and now the GM release as well.
One chime means that the software is using on-device processing to commence dictation. Two times means it’s using a server to complete the process. In my experience, service-side processing is way more accurate than on-device. But on-device ain’t so bad. It’s actually pretty decent. Just nowhere near the accuracy of a server.

Reactions: Slartibart

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
One chime means that the software is using on-device processing to commence dictation. Two times means it’s using a server to complete the process. In my experience, service-side processing is way more accurate than on-device. But on-device ain’t so bad. It’s actually pretty decent. Just nowhere near the accuracy of a server.
hopefully this finally reduces a lot of the mental pressure for @eicca trying to get an answer… roughly 3 years and a month later ?

nota bene: valuable information, thanks a lot (again) @FreekieGeekie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.