Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Does that seem like a lot?

My iPad sits unused from 8 am to 8 pm. It goes from 100% down to 87%.

My wife's iPad is with us during that same time period. It's used a mild amount and is down to 80%, which makes it seem like my iPad lost a lot of charge for being unused.

Also, other times I notice my wife's still has more than 90% left at the end of a lot days.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston
Does that seem like a lot?

My iPad sits unused from 8 am to 8 pm. It goes from 100% down to 87%.

My wife's iPad is with us during that same time period. It's used a mild amount and is down to 80%, which makes it seem like my iPad lost a lot of charge for being unused.

Also, other times I notice my wife's still has more than 90% left at the end of a lot days.

Do you have email accounts setup on it?

iWannaBeAdored

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
Scotland
I haven't been using my iPad much over the last 3 days (Been playing Red Dead Redemption!) and I have only been using it to check my Twitter and I have went from 100% to 94%.

Awesome.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I haven't been using my iPad much over the last 3 days (Been playing Red Dead Redemption!) and I have only been using it to check my Twitter and I have went from 100% to 94%.

Awesome.

Cool. That's how my wife's behaves.

I'm going to experiment and restore hers with my backup and vice versa on mine. (she won't even know)
and I'll see if "mine" (her original ipad) has the better battery life. If so, I know it's a hardware thing. If not, then it's my software.

I just don't really want to go through the hassle of that, but curiosity is killing me.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Sounds like you need to recalibrate the power management on your iPad. Let the battery run down until your iPad tells you to plug into power. Then top it off.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have two iPhones. One for work and one for personal. The work one has Exchange set up on it and it goes through the battery like crazy.

I would bet that is the main reason.

CherryJello

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
noticed the same thing with my new wifi iPad. I use it for 20mins and the battery drops 4 percent. I already did the battery recalibration (draining it to 0 and charging it back to 100%) and it still seems to not hold the same amount of charge other people are getting

--- Update

I'm using the iPad right now and with the no audio playing and the screen brightness at 50%, the battery is dropping about 1% every five minutes. Also after sleeping the iPad for about 30mins, the battery went from 93%-90%. I really feel that there is some issue with my battery.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I have two iPhones. One for work and one for personal. The work one has Exchange set up on it and it goes through the battery like crazy.

I would bet that is the main reason.

Hmm...

I may try deleting my Exchange account so both are configured the same before switching iPads.

Thanks for that insight.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
My was not used for an entire day and it went from 100 to 99. Where did you leave yours sitting? Do you have the 3g on? 3g on does have an effect for sure. Did you use the pic frame kept on?

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
My was not used for an entire day and it went from 100 to 99. Where did you leave yours sitting? Do you have the 3g on? 3g on does have an effect for sure. Did you use the pic frame kept on?

Sitting in my office. 3G was on, yes, but so was my wife's.
Also, with 3G on, I still think it's too much battery use.

I decided to switch setups. My backup is being restored to my wife's and vice versa as I type.

I also just realized I'll have to swith SIM cards. Not that this affects the battery, but just a thought for others doing a similar thing in the future and reading this thread. :)

I decided to switch because I want to determine whether the battery difference is hardware or software... also, I think the screen on the other iPad is 'whiter'. ;)

milzy007

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
hope this helps

I found that when my iPad only has one bar (wifi) it drains the battery much much faster than when it has full. If i leave my iPad in a room with 3 bars for a day or so, i come back and the percentage hasn't moved. If i leave it in a spot with one bar, a few hours later it is down 3 to 4%. I know you mentioned 3G, i just didn't know if you used wifi at home and in the office. Hope that helps.

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
My iPad sits unused from 8 am to 8 pm.

I am just shocked that you can leave your iPad sit from 8-8. I can't let mine sit from 8:00 to 8:05, or my fingers will start to twitch! Maybe your iPad is killing the battery as a way of getting back at you for letting it sit unused all day! The iPad is meant to be used 24-7! Try that and let us know if the battery issue is resolved!

Having said that, props to you on the self control! I apparently have none!

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I found that when my iPad only has one bar (wifi) it drains the battery much much faster than when it has full. If i leave my iPad in a room with 3 bars for a day or so, i come back and the percentage hasn't moved. If i leave it in a spot with one bar, a few hours later it is down 3 to 4%. I know you mentioned 3G, i just didn't know if you used wifi at home and in the office. Hope that helps.

Oh wow. That could be it.

So many variables. :)

Now that I've switched iPads, I'll leave the one with the better battery that now has my software setup in the same place all day tomorrow, and see if the result is similar.

IamHermann0069, having two of them in the house makes it much easier. ;)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

+1 I was about to mention wifi signal. One bar always kills the battery faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.