Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
With the new Lockscreen doing away with the slider, I always want to slide to the left instead of to the right. It seems like it would make more sense since your basically sliding the screen away to access the next page. Am I the only one?:D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
With the new Lockscreen doing away with the slider, I always want to slide to the left instead of to the right. It seems like it would make more sense since your basically sliding the screen away to access the next page. Am I the only one?:D

It does in some countries I suppose like turning a page of a book but what if you live somewhere where it's the opposite way around? Lol

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I'm actually really surprised at this. I've been using iPhones for 5 years and iPads since they first came out and with iOS 7 I still try swiping the wrong way the first few times. It makes more sense to me to swipe right to left since you are actually sliding the screen away.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm actually really surprised at this. I've been using iPhones for 5 years and iPads since they first came out and with iOS 7 I still try swiping the wrong way the first few times. It makes more sense to me to swipe right to left since you are actually sliding the screen away.

I completely agree. I keep telling myself to swipe in the opposite direction, and after 5 years of iOS devices you think it would just be already programed, but nonetheless, I keep sliding the wrong way!

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
And there isn't much of an indicator about which way to slide to unlock, maybe there should be a biggish arrow pointing to the right?

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
And there isn't much of an indicator about which way to slide to unlock, maybe there should be a biggish arrow pointing to the right?

An arrow would certainly help, the control center and notification center arrows add way too much confusion to the lock screen.

The reason that I swipe to the wrong side now though is that the swipe moves the entire screen. Before when you had to slide the lock it made sense, but now that the entire screen slides it doesn't make a lot of sense to swipe the opposite direct that you would once you get to the home screen.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

An arrow would certainly help, the control center and notification center arrows add way too much confusion to the lock screen.

The reason that I swipe to the wrong side now though is that the swipe moves the entire screen. Before when you had to slide the lock it made sense, but now that the entire screen slides it doesn't make a lot of sense to swipe the opposite direct that you would once you get to the home screen.

There is a clear indicator. Follow the light ;)

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Slide to left has been designated in iOS 7 to delete or remove so in a way it does make more sense to slide right to left since you are essentially removing the lock screen from view... similar to Safari windows/tabs.

But, for what it's worth, my 2 year old daughter picked up my iPhone 5 with Beta 3 installed and unlocked it correctly by sliding left to right. So maybe it is more intuitive and it's just our habits that are coming into play.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
I completely agree. I keep telling myself to swipe in the opposite direction, and after 5 years of iOS devices you think it would just be already programed, but nonetheless, I keep sliding the wrong way!

Yes, I have had an iPhone since launch day for iPhone the first iPhone and it took me several tries. The light is an indicator but not nearly overt enough for my tastes. And there is a arrow near the prompt to slide, but it's the control panel arrow. It points up and ads to the confusion.

I would expect they either add an arrow or even better let you slide it either way.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
there is a arrow near the prompt to slide, but it's the control panel arrow. It points up and ads to the confusion.

I remembered at WWDC, many many live bloggers excitedly announced that "unlocking is now sliding upwards!"

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Unlock has been a swipe to the right for years and it still is. I don't understand how you guys can be confused. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unlock has been a swipe to the right for years and it still is. I don't understand how you guys can be confused. ;)
At most someone might try swiping up or some other way once and when they quickly try it the typical way and see that it still works that way they won't really be trying to do any other way again in the future and won't even give it a second thought again. It's not exactly a problem that will keep in getting in the way for people or really impact them in any noticeable way.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

Because of the arrow for control center. I agree with C DM though. It should only take once for anyone making the mistake to learn that swiping to the right is still the way to unlock.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

in B1 and B2, i was able to unlock my iphone by sliding to the left. it was a neat little trick that would cause the lock screen to snap back to the right so quickly that the phone would unlock.

with B3 however, this cool little trick (prob in some eyes a bug) was removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.