Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bperrella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Is there an app that will allow me to use ssh to access the files on my home server remotely?? I have downloaded goodreader but it seems to me this feature is not present. I'm trying to put the last nail in the coffin of my netbook, but without this functionality I will have a hard time parting with it.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Is there an app that will allow me to use ssh to access the files on my home server remotely?? I have downloaded goodreader but it seems to me this feature is not present. I'm trying to put the last nail in the coffin of my netbook, but without this functionality I will have a hard time parting with it.

jailbreaking provides this functionality

bperrella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.484 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Ok so once a jailbreak is released I will be able to access the files on the server and download them locally?? I'm very impressed with how capable this device is!!

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

iSSH does ssh and has a vnc program built-in as well. No jailbreak needed.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
iSSH does ssh and has a vnc program built-in as well. No jailbreak needed.

but you can't bring files to the ipad with issh, though you can obviously open them remotely. workaround could be to access your server with issh and any files required on the ipad could be moved to a dropbox folder. as an option.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
but you can't bring files to the ipad with issh, though you can obviously open them remotely. workaround could be to access your server with issh and any files required on the ipad could be moved to a dropbox folder. as an option.

Yeah, it all depends on what the OP is trying to do. Remote iWork or MS Office files can be emailed to the iPad for opening in pages, numbers, keynote on the iPad. I guess OS 4 will bring this capability to 3rd party apps.

bperrella

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.484 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

astrorider said:

Yeah, it all depends on what the OP is trying to do. Remote iWork or MS Office files can be emailed to the iPad for opening in pages, numbers, keynote on the iPad. I guess OS 4 will bring this capability to 3rd party apps.

Some background on my situation - college student with 2 jobs as well so I'm rarely home. I have a home server with 3tb or storage, tons of docs, pics, and videos. I like having the ability to be able to pull up a doc or pic when it comes up in conversation, or when I need to reference it. Storing all of this locally is not possible for me as I have about 1 tb of photos and data that I regularly use.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Can you download files (at least specific types) from the iPad Safari browser? If so you can put your files under the "Sites" folder and turn on Apache. Just remember to add some kind of password protection (.htaccess?). This way you only download what you need when you need it.

It should work if you just want to view pictures/videos so no real "downloading" is required. Don't know if you want to edit them.

iLiveUdie

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Can you download files (at least specific types) from the iPad Safari browser? If so you can put your files under the "Sites" folder and turn on Apache. Just remember to add some kind of password protection (.htaccess?). This way you only download what you need when you need it.

Not that I am aware of...if anybody knows, please notify me also!!!

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

Some background on my situation - college student with 2 jobs as well so I'm rarely home. I have a home server with 3tb or storage, tons of docs, pics, and videos. I like having the ability to be able to pull up a doc or pic when it comes up in conversation, or when I need to reference it. Storing all of this locally is not possible for me as I have about 1 tb of photos and data that I regularly use.

Sounds like a vnc program like iTeleport might be a good way to go. I don't have that one but I've been looking at it for similar reasons to what you said. I've been using the VNC program in iSSH but it's just not fast enough I'm afraid. iTeleport seems to get better reviews.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Well I tested my theory from the iPad simulator. I was able to view excel, word docs and videos from the iPad browser by just putting them in the Sites directory and turning on the Apache server. The video even loads in the browser unlike the iPhone which tries to launch a separate player app.

So at the very least if all you want to do is view content this should work. It is only limited by the upload speed of your home server. I don't know how it works with the other built in iPad apps as the simulator doesn't have them.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
How can I copy files from a pc using the ipad?

A) You can start a new thread instead of reviving a two year old one
B) In the correct forum
C) Specifying what files, since some you can handle with iTunes and some you can't.

Also, Dropbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.