Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I have an iPad Pro 11. Lately once it charges up to 100%, the charging indicator turns off and the battery screen says it has stopped charging. When it drops down a bit it starts charging again. This causes the charging cable connected sound to chime periodically which is annoying especially at night. I think it started after 17.3.1. Before that the charge indicator would stay on.

Any idea how to fix this?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Mine only chimes like that when I'm using a third-party charger, not Apple's.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I’m using an Apple charger. I did a hard reset and it seems like it working properly now, but I’ll need to give it more time.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Also occasionally had this over the years. What worked for me was plugging the charger into a different outlet. But really unexplained, as if a temporary voltage incompatibility.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If solved by a reboot, sounds like one of the million unexplainable, weird issues that are solved by rebooting. I’ve solved endless weird issues like this one throughout the years.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Reboot didn’t fix it, but hard reset did fix it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Reboot didn’t fix it, but hard reset did fix it.

It only fixed it for a day. It’s back to stop charging at 100% or at least the UI and battery screen says it does as once it hits 100% the little lightning icon disappears, but the percentage doesn’t drop below 100% while plugged it. Maybe something changed in 16.3.1?

FK9896

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2023
Can it be caused by overheating? I experience stop charging for a few times. When my ipad was plugged in but it stopped charging, I went to setting—battery and found message like ”the temp is too high, so it stops charging”. When your iPad is charged to 100% and kept plugged in, what does your ipad say in the battery page of setting?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Can it be caused by overheating? I experience stop charging for a few times. When my ipad was plugged in but it stopped charging, I went to setting—battery and found message like ”the temp is too high, so it stops charging”. When your iPad is charged to 100% and kept plugged in, what does your ipad say in the battery page of setting?

It shows it’s not charging. It’s not too hot as the iPad is ice cold.

Basically once it hits 100% it stops charging.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm not sure why your charging indicator was staying on before when it hit 100%, and it's odd to me that it would drop a bit and resume charging. When I let mine charge to 100%, I unplug the charger. The next time I wake it up, it's still at 100%, even if it's been 12 hours or so.

I thought it was supposed to stop charging. In fact, the 100% displayed is not accurate. I've read that it actually will only charge up to about 98% and then stops, to avoid overcharging and damaging the battery.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
It should charging the battery, but the lightning indicator indicates it’s connected to power. The iPad does some stuff in the background only when on power.

I did another hard reset yesterday and swapped out cables and it stayed charging all night. It did that previously after I did a hard reset and then stopped again, so who knows if it will make a difference.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
The cable swap seems to have resolved this. What’s odd is I was using an Anker USB-C cable which is usually very good. That worked fine for over a year. I went back to the Apple one.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The cable swap seems to have resolved this. What’s odd is I was using an Anker USB-C cable which is usually very good. That worked fine for over a year. I went back to the Apple one.
Interesting solution to the problem.
Do Apple have unique a chip similar to the Lightning cable that makes it behave differently?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Interesting solution to the problem.
Do Apple have unique a chip similar to the Lightning cable that makes it behave differently?

The iPad Pro uses a USB-C cable not lightning and Apple says you can use any compliant cable. Maybe the cable went bad or something.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The iPad Pro uses a USB-C cable not lightning and Apple says you can use any compliant cable. Maybe the cable went bad or something.
Yea, that's what I meant. If Apple do have added a bit of apple "intelligence" in their USB-C cables.
As you say, you can use any compliant cable but more since they did seem to behave differently.

But having said that, USB-C cables is a flippin jungle, both in terms of quality and standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.