Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tecknet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
Hopefully I've managed to get this into the right forum.

I work in education and in my organisation we have 60 iPads which I have supervised using Apple Configurator and enrolled in Meraki.

I have 15 of them set up with only one profile from Apple Configurator, which is for the wifi. The restrictions are managed by Meraki. They are also signed into one Apple ID in the app store, but not signed into iCloud at all. I have been pushing apps out over the air, but have encountered a problem where the devices request the password to be entered before apps are installed, which is a big hindrance.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm doing everything in Meraki correctly. I'm purchasing the free apps through Apples VPP store, assigning them in Meraki to the Apple ID in question, then pushing them out to the 15 devices in question.

Am I right in saying that this is caused by having so many devices signed into one Apple ID?

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
We ran into something similar. My understanding is that Apple made a change in the way VPP purchases work so now it seems you can't push VPP apps silently. Supposedly Apple is working on a new silent install method for enterprise and education.

tecknet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
Okay. Thanks for your reply. Do you know if their solution is linked to DEPRESSION?

What are you doing in the meantime?

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
iPad Supervision / MDM

We are continuing to deploy VPP apps. They just don't install automatically. They still seem to show up in the purchases tab. Just tapping the cloud icon on purchases seems to install it without a prompt.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
I've worked with Airwatch in a trial run to running an MDM setup with DEP. The use the VPP Token model instead of the code model.

The model I used was to attempt to have a shared device model. Unfortunately with the way EULA for ibooks works, each iPad would eventually need an individual apple ID to redeem ibooks correctly. We opt to use institutional AppleIDs which involved using a batch AppleID creator.

The process involved this flow:
Setup all the Apple IDs using a batch creator.

iOS Device:
Setup the iOS Device with WiFi Credentials, Apple ID and then push the Airwatch MDM agent through the Airwatch MAM Console (Mobile App Managment). The AppStore will prompt a disclaimer that will allow Airwatch MDM to manage and distribute VPP apps to the device.

From the VPP side:
I used VPP to buy apps and FREE apps. Airwatch's Console will sync the tokens on the console. Groups were arranged and I was able to push specific apps to specific groups I assigned without a password prompt.

It seems to be working relative great but the only caveat was creating those AppleIDs. I can't wait till Apple gets rid of the AppleID requirement for Education..

I am not sure if Meraki has something similar but that specific function sold me to push it to the directors for district wide MDM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.