Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I might as well start here....is is possible to mirror one iPad to another using the Apple TV device?

IE not using an actual television, but using the device as a sort of a "go-between"?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Nope, you can’t airplay from one iPad to another, either standalone or using an Apple TV.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Nope, you can’t airplay from one iPad to another, either standalone or using an Apple TV.
ok thanks, I'll stop looking.

Crystal ball thing here : do you reckon Apple will ever figure a way to do it? Maybe iOS 18-20

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
ok thanks, I'll stop looking.

Crystal ball thing here : do you reckon Apple will ever figure a way to do it? Maybe iOS 18-20

It's not so much about figuring a way to do it. The question is whether Apple thinks it's worth sinking development resources on such a feature.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
It's not so much about figuring a way to do it. The question is whether Apple thinks it's worth sinking development resources on such a feature.

Thanks, true I suppose. I am still wondering why they have not though...I mean, iPhones and iPads have been around for ages, and folks share everything else directly between them so not sure why Apple did not think there was a need??

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
I'm not sure if the iPad's HDMI output is encrypted.

If it's not encrypted, it should be possible to use a capture card like this:

And then watch the resulting video stream from other iPads. Note, you'll need a desktop or laptop to share the video from the capture card to other devices.

Yeah, I can pretty much do this already with Sidecar or Luna Display , BUT it needs the PC to be the sending device. Seems like this device is the same, still needs the PC to send from.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I might as well start here....is is possible to mirror one iPad to another using the Apple TV device?

IE not using an actual television, but using the device as a sort of a "go-between"?
Technically yes, but it would require a capture card and an app like Orion.
The Apple TV would also have to be plugged into a wall at the same time, doesn’t sound like a very usable solution to be honest.

Reactions: pax-eterna

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
I have the option of mirroring to my iPad from my Mac. I'm pretty sure I've used that, but it's been awhile.

Yeah I can do that easily enough. Trying to avoid having to take the Mac mini to gigs.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yeah I can do that easily enough. Trying to avoid having to take the Mac mini to gigs.
Why not use a cheap MBA (or MBP) instead? Easier to travel with and virtually no set up / tear down required. You can AirPlay to that as long as it's a 2018 model or newer.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Why not use a cheap MBA (or MBP) instead? Easier to travel with and virtually no set up / tear down required. You can AirPlay to that as long as it's a 2018 model or newer.

I'd need to airplay FROM the MBA/P to the iPad though...

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
So, I am now looking at an MBP but before I buy can someone please confirm 100% it will work as I intend, IE to mirror the screen to an iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.