Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyNiceGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Vancouver, BC
After blindly buying my last 3 Apple products without even considering the competition I decided to test the Galaxy Tab S for the weekend. Decided before I just jumped right in to the next iPad (hopefully coming this month) I'd check out the competition.

Well after running the Galaxy through its paces I've ended up at the same place. Apple has the best product in the market especially when you also use the phone and computer as a total solution.

Although the Galaxy Tab S has superior video graphics Apple beats the Samsung top of the line tablet in every other way.

The OS and supported apps feel like the creation of a maniac sitting in an insane asylum. Because Samsung is not the creator of the OS (Android) the system is a hodgepodge of 3 product sets trying to co exist. You have an Android OS alongside Samsung Galaxy specific apps, alongside Google apps and Android apps. It is an absolute mess. It was like they tried to throw everything together and at the end of the day just ended up with a cluster****.

The second biggest killer is there are maybe 15 apps rendered for the Galaxy. 99% of the apps are built for mobile phones and not tablets.

Finally the integration to an Apple desktop or phone is practically non existent except for an app that allows you to sync with iCloud that is a pain to use.

At the end of the day my test reconfirmed my loyalty to Apple products and I am back on the path of hoping for a new iPad release in late October.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The Galaxy Tab S has the best screen period, nothing comes remotely close. In fact I purchased a few months ago a Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 and even with a screen resolution of 1280x800 it looks solid. The colors are vivid, it's ultra bright, whites are as you would expect from Samsung, brilliant white. No color hue changes, great viewing angle.

In fact my lowly Galaxy Tab 4 resulted in returning an iPad Mini I bought on sale for $199 as the screen was absolutely inferior to the Samsung. I own several iPad's and the Galaxy Tab 4 produces a display on par with my iPad Air and the Air has a nice display.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The Tab S screen is amazing, no doubt about it. However the WiFi version only has 16GB of on board storage and the apps aren't as good for Android tablets as they are the iPad.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Depends what use main needs are

In terms of screen quality and watching videos, films etc the s tab is the best experience imo. Ipad is the best tablet for apps.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Depends what use main needs are

In terms of screen quality and watching videos, films etc the s tab is the best experience imo. Ipad is the best tablet for apps.

Yeah this is why I prefer my tab pro to the iPad Air. I don't spend much time using apps on my Tablets. I mainly use the wen browser and watch videos, which the tab s/pro is better for.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah this is why I prefer my tab pro to the iPad Air. I don't spend much time using apps on my Tablets. I mainly use the wen browser and watch videos, which the tab s/pro is better for.

I'm the same I rarely use apps on tablets apart from Facebook, Twitter and Tapatalk.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Then there is storage space. Does the Tab have an SD Card slot? As needs grow you can increase storage. You can't on an iPad. I have an iPad Air and it is full now. So my only option is to either buy another iPad Air with more space which is expensive. Or buy another brand of tablet that lets me have more options and is future proof.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Then there is storage space. Does the Tab have an SD Card slot? As needs grow you can increase storage. You can't on an iPad. I have an iPad Air and it is full now. So my only option is to either buy another iPad Air with more space which is expensive. Or buy another brand of tablet that lets me have more options and is future proof.

Yep SD Card slot it does indeed have.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I think the Galaxy Tab S has the best screen quality and is best in terms of movie-watching.

That being said, I know what you mean by the convoluted mess that is Touchwiz on Android. You have the Play Store and Samsung's store. Need I say more?

However, I'd really wait for the next Galaxy Note tablet. You at least get S-Pen features. That's what I'm waiting on. Since I'm getting a 6 Plus, I think I'm good on an iPad for now.

----------

I'm the same I rarely use apps on tablets apart from Facebook, Twitter and Tapatalk.

I was thinking this. I was using my sister's iPad Mini yesterday, I mainly used the web browser. This is really making me want to get the Galaxy Tab S.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think the Galaxy Tab S has the best screen quality and is best in terms of movie-watching.

That being said, I know what you mean by the convoluted mess that is Touchwiz on Android. You have the Play Store and Samsung's store. Need I say more?

However, I'd really wait for the next Galaxy Note tablet. You at least get S-Pen features. That's what I'm waiting on. Since I'm getting a 6 Plus, I think I'm good on an iPad for now.

----------

I was thinking this. I was using my sister's iPad Mini yesterday, I mainly used the web browser. This is really making me want to get the Galaxy Tab S.
I personally love the new look stock browser on the Samsung devices now. Much Improved

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
After blindly buying my last 3 Apple products without even considering the competition I decided to test the Galaxy Tab S for the weekend. Decided before I just jumped right in to the next iPad (hopefully coming this month) I'd check out the competition.

Well after running the Galaxy through its paces I've ended up at the same place. Apple has the best product in the market especially when you also use the phone and computer as a total solution.

Although the Galaxy Tab S has superior video graphics Apple beats the Samsung top of the line tablet in every other way.

The OS and supported apps feel like the creation of a maniac sitting in an insane asylum. Because Samsung is not the creator of the OS (Android) the system is a hodgepodge of 3 product sets trying to co exist. You have an Android OS alongside Samsung Galaxy specific apps, alongside Google apps and Android apps. It is an absolute mess. It was like they tried to throw everything together and at the end of the day just ended up with a cluster****.

The second biggest killer is there are maybe 15 apps rendered for the Galaxy. 99% of the apps are built for mobile phones and not tablets.

Finally the integration to an Apple desktop or phone is practically non existent except for an app that allows you to sync with iCloud that is a pain to use.

At the end of the day my test reconfirmed my loyalty to Apple products and I am back on the path of hoping for a new iPad release in late October.

The iPad suits those who like to keep things simple and easy within a well controlled environment whilst the Galaxy Tab S suits those who like more freedom and flexability to customize and work within a more Microsoft Windows type environment.

Both ways of operating have their advantages and disadvantages and it is up to each person to decide which suits them best depending on their needs.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Just bought the Tab S on sale and the screen is truly BEAUTIFUL. I compared it to my brother's Air and the Air's screen feels toy-like.

Plus it's lighter and thinner than the Air.But I would understand getting the iPad if you're invested in the iOS system.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Galaxy Tab S display is so awful awesome!! I will bet Samsung will do the same for Galaxy Note S 10.1. I wish Apple iPad would have a 4K display. :apple:

iCanHas?

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014

You're blind. The reason you don't use your "tab" is because of the reasons for this discussion. Apps on any other device absolutely suck. There's approximately 18,000 variations of Android/Google type devices. Who the hell can develop anything with that type of ambiguity?

There's a reason my 2yr old daughter has full access to an iPad and I see 80yr old people with them. It's easy, safe (malware/spyware,) reliable and when you need help, there's an Apple Store or phone support to rely on.

Samsung is a great company. They've helped the technology industry as much as anyone else but, when it comes down to a tablet or phone, there's nothing more supported or more reliable.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You're blind. The reason you don't use your "tab" is because of the reasons for this discussion. Apps on any other device absolutely suck. There's approximately 18,000 variations of Android/Google type devices. Who the hell can develop anything with that type of ambiguity?

There's a reason my 2yr old daughter has full access to an iPad and I see 80yr old people with them. It's easy, safe (malware/spyware,) reliable and when you need help, there's an Apple Store or phone support to rely on.

Samsung is a great company. They've helped the technology industry as much as anyone else but, when it comes down to a tablet or phone, there's nothing more supported or more reliable.

Well thanks for pointing this out to me. Just to let you know I used my ipad air in a similar way too. Web browsing, watching videos and a few apps.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Phone: Android
Tablet: Apple

Android cannot match the overall quality and apps of the iPad yet. I always go Android for my phones and iPads for my tablets. The Tab S are great and they'll get even better next year with the 805 chip or maybe even 810.

If Apple doesn't give the iPads at least 2gb of ram, I'm out. Tired of re-loading tabs and memory crashes.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011

Somebody's angry.

I don't really need apps on Android devices because it's so open. I've never had malware on ANY android device in 4+ year.

I can download torrenets directly to my Note 3 and file them away accordingly. I can hook my PS3 controller via an adapter and play several games with it.

You can't do anything on an iPad unless they tell you. Android has had widgets for years. But let me guess, it only matters now that Apple can do it (in a very limited fashion).:rolleyes:

Apps are very wall-gardened. It's a frustrating experience to have to wonder, ''if I do work in this app...how do I get it to another?".

Sure Android doesn't have a lot of apps compared to iOS, but then again it really doesn't need to. Apps were a response to a limited OS. When the OS is more open, you need it less.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Apps may be as issue on Android tablets but not on phones. There is very little difference in quality compared to ones on the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.