Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
The 64GB Playbook at 129 pounds is a no brainer purchase. Well, it would be but the absence of Skype is really keeping me off this lovely machine.

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
There are reasons why cheap things are cheap.

I don't agree. The Playbook is an awesome machine and I would not be so critical. Hardware and building quality are way above average and the OS is pretty nice too. Native apps are simply amazing and now it is also possible to run Android apps. It is really the perfect tablet, at least IMVHO. However, as i said before, the lack of an official Skype app to me looks like a major minus. RIM is pushing its Playbook-to-Playbook messaging system. It works flawlessy, much better than iMessage and/or Facetime, but it is limited, of cours, to just a few people who own a Playbook.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I don't agree. The Playbook is an awesome machine and I would not be so critical. Hardware and building quality are way above average and the OS is pretty nice too. Native apps are simply amazing and now it is also possible to run Android apps. It is really the perfect tablet, at least IMVHO. However, as i said before, the lack of an official Skype app to me looks like a major minus. RIM is pushing its Playbook-to-Playbook messaging system. It works flawlessy, much better than iMessage and/or Facetime, but it is limited, of cours, to just a few people who own a Playbook.

The Playbook didn't even come with a Email App installed. :confused:

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
The first version of the OS was crap, I agree with you. Lots of apps missing, lagging here and there, frequent crashes and/or freezing. The current version (well, not really the current which came out 4 days ago) is surprisingly good. Smooth, nice looking, very organised, nice amount of stock apps.
I wait to see if Apple is releasing an iPad Mini at a decent price tag. If one of the two conditions are not there -and I think it will be the price tag- I will just get myself a Playbook.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The Playbook is a P.O.S.

It wasn't any good 2 years ago and it's worthless now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.