Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is your iPad's Wifi ?

• Very weak signal

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • Wi-fi drops and I have to reconnect

Votes: 29 12.0%
  • Says wifi is connected but I can't access internet

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Have to constantly re-enter password for wifi

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • My iPad had problems with wifi but I exchanged and now it works fine

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • No issues to report

Votes: 173 71.8%

• Total voters

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
About half the time when I wake the iPad up from sleep, it looks like it's connected, but it just spins and spins when I try to access the Internet. Push also doesn't happen if it's fallen into this state while asleep. I have to turn the wifi off and back on to get a connection again. (Thank god for SB Settings. Saves me a few taps every time.)

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
do you buy chance have a ps3 connected also? I found a conflict there with my iphone previously, both trying to use the same IP everytime. static ip worked eventualy, but not until I disconected everything , reboot & reset all connections and started from scratch.

Also I had a bit of a conflict when running wireless N & G compatibility mode.

Don't have a PS3 but do have a Wii and a 360 so maybe they're causing similar issues. In light of of not knowing what else to do I might disconnect, reboot and reset like you did to try and resolve it.

I also read on the Apple support site about disabling 40MHz as Macs and the iPad don't like this. Must be worth a try!

Disable 40MHz in the 2.4GHz settings on the Wi-Fi router. Mac computers and iPad do not support this mode. Disabling it may reduce interference issues.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Mine asks for me to re-enter passwords on occasion, and that's how I voted. That's happened maybe a dozen times. A couple of times I've seen the WIFI icon just disappear for a few seconds, then come back and during that few seconds I have no connection. Just waiting for a fix...I knew this was a possibility when I bought it, so I'm not sweating it.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
The quickest way of dealing with this is put the iPad into sleep mode, by pressing the standby button. Then turn it on again, unlock, wifi is back. That took 2 button presses and a swipe.

I really dislike going into settings, etc.. etc...

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Not as strong of a signal, but still sufficient and it works wonderfully overall.

iMikey1

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
I'm an other...

I can connect and surf the net on my home Wifi network but I can not "find my iPad". It is listed as "not on a data network". Two iPhones, an iMac, and an iBook all logon on fine. In addition, if I put a contact or calendar event on the iPad it does not push to the iMac or iPhone. If I put a contact or event on the iPhone or iMac it will push to the iPad. If I reset the iPad, the contact/event will push from the iPad to other devices. Nothing pushes to the iPad on home Wifi (AP alerts, ESPN game scores, or Facebook updates). I have a Verizon DSL modem with a built in wireless router. I have updated the firmware and no improvement. I too have had an issue with logging on to free Wifi for registered guests at a hotel. I figured there was some sort of Flash element in the login splash page. It was very frustrating and the IT guy at the resort was off for the weekend so he could not trouble shoot the login issue.

The thought had occurred to me to return it for another one but I got it on launch day back in April.

ZMRoach

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Seattle
The only time I ever have a problem with wifi is when I'm in certain buildings on campus, and that probably has more to do with the crappy network setup. No other problems to report though.

Mezzo43

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
My home wifi connection is perfect. The only time that I had a problem with wifi was at a hotel in Las Vegas. The connection was constantly dropping in and out.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
iPad
3 Macbook Pros
1 iPhone 3GS
1 iPod touch
Sony PS3

All on a Time Capsule with no problems at the moment

Had some problems when the wife had an iphone (she put it on top her car for the second time ... It got ground into pieces ... Have pics and there not pretty) I think the 2 iphones would try and grab the same address or something. She now has an Android phone and I can say without a doubt that Android sucks! She hates it too but she is going to have to wait a few weeks on my hand me down 3GS!

friedkat

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Milton Keynes
At the office i have no problem. However at home i have to keep entering the password.

It's a router specific issue.

Absolutely agree:

Using a Belkin N+ Wireless router (Ralink RT2860V2 Wireless chipset) I have problems with iPad WiFi drop outs, by which I mean WiFi appears to be connected but every 10-20 minutes apps become unable to access the Internet until I switch the iPad's WiFi off and back on. I tried all sorts of network permutations and WiFi tweaks to no avail. No problems using my iPhone with the same router.

However the same iPad works great with SpeedTouch 780 which has an older Broadcom BCM4318 802.11g Wireless chipset.

This suggests to me that there is probably a fairly low-level compatibility issue in the iPad's Wireless implementation, hopefully addressable via a firmware update from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.