Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deon Nortje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
I have a number of corporate users on various models of IPAD. One of the users has been experiencing a problem since getting a new IPAD in November. When adding an Exchange account via the Mail app it replicates mail for a few hours and then stops. After that it will not replicate mail and will eventually give the "Cannot get mail - the connection to the server failed" error. There are other users using the same network and the same Office 365 domain that do not have this problem. I have installed on multiple different models of IPAD for this user and the same problem appears after a while. If Outlook for IOS is installed it works fine. The user is however comfortable with the Mail app and is the CEO of the company. I have proven that it is not the specific device, not the network, not the firewall and not even IOS12 (which I thought originally). - any suggestions?

Gyroworld

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2016
I support hundreds of users using iOS devices with Office365. The Outlook apps is better in every way over the native mail client, however, like in your situation, there are some users that refuse to change. I've done hours of testing and have determined that it's a combination iOS/O365 issue that appears almost randomly. Sometimes even on my own phone (I use my O365 account only for calendar sync) it'll say the server can't be reached when I'm updating apps. What I've also found is that it will eventually sync mail again, but that's not good enough in a business environment. So unfortunately the best course of action is to use the Outlook app. I don't even mention the native mail app as an option anymore when setting up new users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.