Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbie111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Hi all. Have sent a few days googling and thought I’d consult the brains trust :)

I have a HP touchscreen monitor.
I’m wanting to use this to control my iPad.
I know it’s not supported natively… however anyone found a solution?

TIA

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Which iPad model? Which iPadOS version? Which monitor model?

In any case: according to their manuals most HP monitors with touch functionality (like e.g. the HP E24t G4 FHD) need a video- AND USB-connection to enable/use it.
On Windows there is an automatic driver installation when connecting these monitors, IDK whether this is just for the video part (monitor profile etc.) or also required for the touch functionality.

Because you need a dongle/hub anyway to connect iPad and monitor, what happens when you additionally to video connect them with the USB-cable which came with the monitor (assuming you have access to a hub like e.g. this)?

Newbie111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Huh? iPad is already controlled by touch.

Hey Zazoh,
i don't want to use the ipad, i want to use the large monitor to control it (think of it like a large 'control panel')

Which iPad model? Which iPadOS version? Which monitor model?

In any case: according to their manuals most HP monitors with touch functionality (like e.g. the HP E24t G4 FHD) need a video- AND USB-connection to enable/use it.
On Windows there is an automatic driver installation when connecting these monitors, IDK whether this is just for the video part (monitor profile etc.) or also required for the touch functionality.

Because you need a dongle/hub anyway to connect iPad and monitor, what happens when you additionally to video connect them with the USB-cable which came with the monitor (assuming you have access to a hub like e.g. this)?
wanting to use on either an ipad pro 3rd gen, or ipad air2... either can be fine for me....
Monitor is a hP E24tg4

I've tried with a Hub, USBc dock, cable, splitter... everything... i've googled quite a bit and no solution there either...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Per the User Guide iPad will work with a USB mouse. I know in the past some touch screen displays would connect to the computer as a virtual “mouse” so in theory this COULD work, just depends on how well the display mimics a mouse. Newer displays use a software driver on the computer to interpret touch input because it’s more precise, and might support multi-touch.

I’d reach out to HP about it - possibly they could develop an iPadOS app to support that, not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.