Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccoleman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Since my initial iPad setup I haven't synced my music and photos. For the past few days I have been trying to sync them but it just hangs on the syncing screen. I have let it run overnight and it never actually completes the sync. The laptop i'm syncing to is USB 1 but it has no problem transferring to a external HD.

I have tried a hard reset and other suggestions but nothing seems to help, any ideas are appreciated!

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Are you on Service Pack 3 or later?

The tech specs also say it requires 'PC with USB 2.0 port'. Whether or not USB 1.0 is good enough for external HDs is neither here nor there.

ccoleman88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
it is service pack 3.

I would expect the usb1 to be slower, but it never actually completes, is the ipad really incompatible with usb 1.0? I find that kind of hard to believe, as many people would likely have older machines using that standard.

Is anyone aware of a workaround? It would be pretty unfortunate to have to buy a new laptop in order to sync photos to my new ipad

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Apple devices have been flaky with USB 1 for some time. Upgrade to a new computer.

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
ccole -I feel for you. I had a similar problem with my first install of Itunes (Hate Itunes BTW) and only installed it to activate my 4/3 Ipad. Was able to sync at first but after an hour ITunes would crash out every time I connected the Ipad. Solution - Ended up having to use another laptop - - since I was not willing to wipe and reload for Itunes.

I have had Itunes loose its mind on several occasions -- full sync one day and the next time I goto sync Itunes says it has never seen this Ipad and I must wipe and re-load. Then deciding that it did not want to sync my book libary, or Music etc... - Gotta Love it!

Since my initial iPad setup I haven't synced my music and photos. For the past few days I have been trying to sync them but it just hangs on the syncing screen. I have let it run overnight and it never actually completes the sync. The laptop i'm syncing to is USB 1 but it has no problem transferring to a external HD.

I have tried a hard reset and other suggestions but nothing seems to help, any ideas are appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.