Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I am considering using an iPad Air 5 to be my primary device, supplementing my iPhone 13 mini for browsing and media consumption, and to take on some of the photo editing tasks I currently do on my old iMac.

But question on that- I’d be using a couple of different apps for that, one of them being an app that’s not available in the iPad.

If I had the pictures on my iPad snd there was one I wanted to run through the app on my iMac- could I use universal control to drop the image file on my iMac, remotely launch that app- quickly process the file- and transfer it back to the iPad? (All being done from within the same house where the iMac is located)

Last edited:

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
You will be using two different modes of interacting: the first one would be universal control, which will allow you to drag and drop files from within the two systems (drag from ipados and drop on macos).
The second part is essentially screen sharing, in which you extend the mac desktop to the ipad, but here is where it gets tricky because apple's implementation of that one is basically that you move the mouse on the imac and see the desktop on the ipad - so the ipad is just a screen - and to start that you need to be on the imac.
One alternative solution would be to set up VNC or some other screen sharing system on the ipad - I guess you might need a third party app, I'm not 100% up to speed on that - and then you'll be able to connect remotely on the imac from the ipad and control the mouse cursor on the mac with a pointer on the ipad (be it pencil or mouse or whatever). That way you should be able to do whatever you need on the imac from the ipad without a physical access to the imac.
You might get in trouble with the final step: I'm not sure how easy it will be to drag the file back on the ipad from... an app on the ipad itself that's displaying the imac desktop - although you might be able to if it works in windowed mode...
Probably your best solution would be some form of file sharing that allows you to access the same folder from the two machines via finder, a lot less trouble!

Reactions: jm31828

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You will be using two different modes of interacting: the first one would be universal control, which will allow you to drag and drop files from within the two systems (drag from ipados and drop on macos).
The second part is essentially screen sharing, in which you extend the mac desktop to the ipad, but here is where it gets tricky because apple's implementation of that one is basically that you move the mouse on the imac and see the desktop on the ipad - so the ipad is just a screen - and to start that you need to be on the imac.
One alternative solution would be to set up VNC or some other screen sharing system on the ipad - I guess you might need a third party app, I'm not 100% up to speed on that - and then you'll be able to connect remotely on the imac from the ipad and control the mouse cursor on the mac with a pointer on the ipad (be it pencil or mouse or whatever). That way you should be able to do whatever you need on the imac from the ipad without a physical access to the imac.
You might get in trouble with the final step: I'm not sure how easy it will be to drag the file back on the ipad from... an app on the ipad itself that's displaying the imac desktop - although you might be able to if it works in windowed mode...
Probably your best solution would be some form of file sharing that allows you to access the same folder from the two machines via finder, a lot less trouble!
you don't need screen sharing or remote desktop, universal control is enough for the task required

Reactions: kitKAC

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
you don't need screen sharing or remote desktop, universal control is enough for the task required
but how would you execute the work on the imac without being able to see the mac screen? I assumed that one requirement would be that the work happens only on the ipad.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
but how would you execute the work on the imac without being able to see the mac screen? I assumed that one requirement would be that the work happens only on the ipad.
Would I be seeing the Mac screen in a window on the iPad, and controlling the mouse pointer with my finger, or a mouse/touchpad if I have one connected to the iPad?

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Would I be seeing the Mac screen in a window on the iPad, and controlling the mouse pointer with my finger, or a mouse/touchpad if I have one connected to the iPad?
so: universal control lets you use one set of pointer+keyboard connected to let's say a mac, and when set up properly you can move the cursor off the mac desktop onto the ipad screen, and from then on your mouse and keyboard connected to the mac will be used to move the ipados cursor and the keyboard will input text on ipados. This also allows you to drag files from apps on the ipad to the finder on the mac.
Mind you: this does not provide you with a way to see the screen of either device on the other one... the ideal use is for when you're on a desk with both devices in front of you. Also I don't think it works with the pencil: you would need to have a trackpad or mouse (and keyboard) connected to either one of the devices.

There is another feature of macos that allows you to extend the mac desktop on the ipad, basically turning the ipad into an additional screen for the mac (which can work as a mirror or as an extended screen). I have no idea if this works in windowed mode on ipados. Also, you would need to initiate this feature on the mac, there is no way around it. After you have your desktop visualized on the ipad, then you can use the pencil as a pointer.

It's important to note that these are two different features and I'm not sure they are intended to work together.

If your specific use case requires that you execute all the work from the ipad, without physical access to the imac (because maybe you want to work on the sofa or whatever), I think the best way would be:
- set up some form of file sharing that can be accessed without problems by both machines (it can be file sharing on the mac or dropbox or even icloud file sharing - for example I have been able to set up shared folders on an external drive on the mac and access the files from the ipad on a local wifi network.)
- set up screen sharing on the mac so that you can use a VNC app on the ipad to log on the mac desktop. in this way you will be able to see the desktop on the ipad and use the pencil or a mouse or a trackpad connected to the ipad as a pointer (not sure whether it works with touch alone);

In this way you would be able to do whatever work you need on the ipad, launch the VNC app and log on to the mac, access the files from the shared location, work on them on the ipad, close the VNC screen sharing and then finish the work on the ipad, without ever leaving the sofa or even being in the same room as the mac.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
so: universal control lets you use one set of pointer+keyboard connected to let's say a mac, and when set up properly you can move the cursor off the mac desktop onto the ipad screen, and from then on your mouse and keyboard connected to the mac will be used to move the ipados cursor and the keyboard will input text on ipados. This also allows you to drag files from apps on the ipad to the finder on the mac.
Mind you: this does not provide you with a way to see the screen of either device on the other one... the ideal use is for when you're on a desk with both devices in front of you. Also I don't think it works with the pencil: you would need to have a trackpad or mouse (and keyboard) connected to either one of the devices.

There is another feature of macos that allows you to extend the mac desktop on the ipad, basically turning the ipad into an additional screen for the mac (which can work as a mirror or as an extended screen). I have no idea if this works in windowed mode on ipados. Also, you would need to initiate this feature on the mac, there is no way around it. After you have your desktop visualized on the ipad, then you can use the pencil as a pointer.

It's important to note that these are two different features and I'm not sure they are intended to work together.

If your specific use case requires that you execute all the work from the ipad, without physical access to the imac (because maybe you want to work on the sofa or whatever), I think the best way would be:
- set up some form of file sharing that can be accessed without problems by both machines (it can be file sharing on the mac or dropbox or even icloud file sharing - for example I have been able to set up shared folders on an external drive on the mac and access the files from the ipad on a local wifi network.)
- set up screen sharing on the mac so that you can use a VNC app on the ipad to log on the mac desktop. in this way you will be able to see the desktop on the ipad and use the pencil or a mouse or a trackpad connected to the ipad as a pointer (not sure whether it works with touch alone);

In this way you would be able to do whatever work you need on the ipad, launch the VNC app and log on to the mac, access the files from the shared location, work on them on the ipad, close the VNC screen sharing and then finish the work on the ipad, without ever leaving the sofa or even being in the same room as the mac.
Thanks for the info!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If I had the pictures on my iPad snd there was one I wanted to run through the app on my iMac- could I use universal control to drop the image file on my iMac, remotely launch that app- quickly process the file- and transfer it back to the iPad? (All being done from within the same house where the iMac is located)
Yeah, I suggest what @ed. mention and use a VNC instead… because it all depends on how close you are for Universal Control. You can always AirDrop the processed file from the iMac to iPad.

And another question.. you mention you had an old iMac, what year is it? Because there is a certain limit to when Universal Control is supported

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Yeah, I suggest what @ed. mention and use a VNC instead… because it all depends on how close you are for Universal Control. You can always AirDrop the processed file from the iMac to iPad.

And another question.. you mention you had an old iMac, what year is it? Because there is a certain limit to when Universal Control is supported
It's a 2017 27" iMac.... I think it's the oldest that is still listed for support for universal control.

Thanks for the note, though- if I go this route, I will look into VNC- I think it's free for personal use, so it would be fun to try out.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
the thing I am not sure I understand is that iMac is not near the iPad despite it being in the same house?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
the thing I am not sure I understand is that iMac is not near the iPad despite it being in the same house?
That's why I don't understand the point of inquiring about Universal Control... because the feature only works when you are nearby, if I'm not mistaken.

I recently received a 14" MBP... and I prefer using my iPad Pro as the main display while having the MBP (using it as an extended display) on a stand connected to an external monitor. So, in essence... I'm using the SideCar feature not Universal Control.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
That's why I don't understand the point of inquiring about Universal Control... because the feature only works when you are nearby, if I'm not mistaken.

I recently received a 14" MBP... and I prefer using my iPad Pro as the main display while having the MBP (using it as an extended display) on a stand connected to an external monitor. So, in essence... I'm using the SideCar feature not Universal Control.
Thanks for that clarification.... yeah I read that universal control works as long as you are 30 feet or less from the other device. Realistically, if I am using my iPad on the couch in the living room, I would be well within that distance- but of course not in the same room, not right next to the iMac.

Sounds like Universal Control may not be the answer, but something fun to test out.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
The way I use Universal control is when I work from home I like to work on my iMac. I put the iPad next to it and keep Teams and MS Outlook open in split view.

I use the iMac keyboard (with Number pad) and the Magic Trackpad and it's great to work with both devices at the same time. That way I can keep track of incoming mails or Teams messages whilst working on the bigger screen

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It sounds doable, but I suspect it would be even better if you are using stage manager and an external display with your iPad Air, with your iMac next to it (actually, any headless Mac can be used for this).

So the idea is to have your main iPad apps open on the monitor, plus a remote app like screens which you can access as a windowed app on your external display. There will probably be a lag here and there as everything will be done wirelessly, but assuming it works, there's a little bit of delicious irony in seeing macOS as an "app" on your iPad, at a time when everybody seems to be clamouring for the iPad to run macOS. :D

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
1. Universal Control lets you use one set of pointer+keyboard connected to let's say a mac, and when set up properly you can move the cursor off the mac desktop onto the ipad screen, and from then on your mouse and keyboard connected to the mac will be used to move the ipados cursor and the keyboard will input text on ipados. This also allows you to drag files from apps on the ipad to the finder on the mac.

2. set up some form of file sharing that can be accessed without problems by both machines (it can be file sharing on the mac or dropbox or even icloud file sharing - for example I have been able to set up shared folders on an external drive on the mac and access the files from the ipad on a local wifi network.)

1. I don't know, but this Universal Control thing sounds very-cool. Definitely warrants more reading on my part. Thanks.

2. Sounds like iCloud-Drive would work perfectly for this part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.