Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I'm feeling nervous about updating my iPad2. It not the fastest thing in the world running 8.4, but its perfectly useable.

To be honest, should be grateful that Apple is still supporting this on iOS9 but I don't want to end up with something that becomes unusable.

It's mainly used by my daughter for watching films (Plex) and playing games so probably doesn't even need iOS9.

Anyone upgraded and have any views?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Ars technica has a review out for both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. The verdict is that if you are on iOS8 upgrade, and iOS7 also upgrade for app support, although it is clear from their description that you shouldn't upgrade from iOS7 if you like speed. So I am not upgrading both my iPad2 and iPhone 4S.

Apparently iOS9 wasn't the savior for those two units that the rumors spoke of - Sadly. Maybe iOS9.1 will be a different story.

Reactions: Crazy Badger

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Thanks for that. A really good read. Sounds like there is little to loose from updating, and iOS9 isn't going to be noticeably slower than 8.4.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
If you're not going to gain anything and it's running fine now, what's the point of updating it?

You're daughter won't notice the difference....unless it starts having problems.

Most the apps are going to support iOS8 for awhile, so I'd sit it out awhile and wait for more real world results and the inevitable 9.1 version.

pituin

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
There's no difference between iOS 8 and 9, at least on mine. Laggy for everything. Still wish I could go back to iOS 6.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Here's the ArsTechnica article:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...t-worse-than-ios-8-but-missing-many-features/

DSC01456.jpg

I'll probably update mine tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.