Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
When using trackpad in macOS, I could use touch to click. However, I didn't find the same option on iPadOS. I have to click. I want to know, the reason.

1. Is there an option of touch to click in iPadOS?
2. Is this the only issue for Magic Trackpad (1st generation).
3. Is this the only issue for iPad Pro 9.7 (all the 1st generation).
4. As only click works, all multitouch gestures don't work on Magic Trackpad with iPad Pro 9.7.

Thank you.

Reactions: drenline

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
On my IPP (3rd gen) there is an option (Tap to click):

47FC4610-F31E-4676-80C6-83CB1F6B3192.jpeg

Cowmonk

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
Edinburgh
I’m having identical issues on my 9.7 IPP + Apple trackpad, public beta.

It’s basically restricted to a pointer + left click. I can’t scroll or anything like that, so pretty much unusable beyond a demo showing the pointer moving.

My settings screen is missing that tap feature.
[automerge]1584623138[/automerge]

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
From reading on Twitter I believe multi-touch (and perhaps tap to click) require a Magic Trackpad 2 and don't work on gen 1. The iPad generation has no impact

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Thank you. I believe this is the reason. Apple wants us to buy another magic trackpad. There must be just another setting in plist to set. Technically the limitation is by man, not by hardware.
[automerge]1584628066[/automerge]
On my IPP (3rd gen) there is an option (Tap to click):

View attachment 899854

For magic trackpad 1st generation, there is no trackpad option at all.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: g-7

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Dang, had hoped to use my old extra Magic Trackpad 1 with my iPad Pro 12.9, while waiting for the new keyboard to launch, but alas...no scrolling on it makes it less viable an option. It’s definitely giving me the taste of what is possible in not having to touch the screen while typing. Psyched for the new keyboard cover / stand.

sldsnk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2005
I paired my Magic Trackpad 1 to my iPad and like everyone I discovered I can’t scroll with it. Clicking is dumb too, I can’t light tap instead I have to physically click. I don’t understand why it won’t behave like it does on my Mac. You’d think an Apple Trackpad would just work with an Apple iPad but that’s too much to ask for these days. adding insult to injury is the warning that the Trackpad will interfere with wifi and Bluetooth on the iPad. WTF Apple?!?!? this is a ****ing Trackpad don’t make it harder than it needs to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.