Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Anyone else? If I try to download an episode to my iPad it goes through the motions and then promptly deletes it. Tried restarting the device to no avail. Apple, please at least get the basics right 🙄

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Worse. According to iPad storage the episodes are in fact downloaded, but they’re not viewable in the app and cannot be deleted.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
In case anyone else comes across this, it’s a bug in Hide Played Episodes display filter. If an episode is played before downloading, it will dissapear permanently from view in downloads no matter if this filter is checked or unchecked. If I mark the episode as unplayed, download it and then mark it as played, everything works as expected.

ETA: It’s actually a settings foible that may not be immediately obvious. If remove played episodes is checked in iPad settings, the app will download the episode and then immediately remove it. Imperfect behaviour but I can at least now understand why it was happening. Nothing to see here…

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
In case anyone else comes across this, it’s a bug in Hide Played Episodes display filter. If an episode is played before downloading, it will dissapear permanently from view in downloads no matter if this filter is checked or unchecked. If I mark the episode as unplayed, download it and then mark it as played, everything works as expected.

Good find and explains why I didn't see it.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Good find and explains why I didn't see it.

See my edit. It was actually due to my settings so kind of my fault for not investigating further before posting, but I do feel that ideally this should have a conflicting action dialogue appear when attempting to download an episode if it's going to be immediately and automatically deleted due to a setting already in place.

ETA: Come to think of it, this being the case, why were those same episodes not deleted right after my workaround? I got them to display but they should have then been deleted automatically right after I marked them watched again. I think Apple needs to do some work on this. I believe they did alter the download behaviour in 15.5.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
See my edit. It was actually due to my settings so kind of my fault for not investigating further before posting, but I do feel that ideally this should have a conflicting action dialogue appear when attempting to download an episode if it's going to be immediately and automatically deleted due to a setting already in place.

And that flag is set "on" by default.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
And that flag is set "on" by default.

Indeed it is, you're right. The user should be warned in this instance that the episode cannot be downloaded due to this setting being on. Bit of a mess really. I imagine plenty of people decide to download an episode after having already played it. At the very least this setting should be off by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.