Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Hello,

As title says. I mean it’s just unbelievable, we’re 3 months or so away from WWDC and iPadOS 15 is just an absolute mess.

I love using both my macbook and my iPhone and have generally very smooth experiences with both of them, but iPadOS is just a complete disaster. I genuinely cant go 10 minutes without experiencing a bug, whether it’s the constant messages scrolling by themselves bug, or multiple safari bugs whether UI based or tabs breaking, apps crashing, battery indicator freezing, and so many more that i’m not even going to spend the time to mention here.

Worst of all this is all happening on an M1 iPad Pro, i.e. what’s supposed to be the best of the best in tablet offerings from Apple. But we’ve been waiting so long for issues to be fixed and it just gets more ridiculous day but day.

iPadOS, not only being severely limiting and underpowered for the M1 hardware, but also a complete utter buggy mess, is single-handedly constantly making me reconsider selling the iPad. The only glimmer of hope that keeps me using the iPad is the hope that Apple will finally stop ignoring and neglecting the iPad and that they’ll get their **** together!!

Thoughts? Does anyone else here have a proportionally worse experience on iPadOS compared to the other Apple operating systems?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I cannot say that I've experienced any of the bugs that you are describing on my 11" M1 iPad Pro. Was your iPad set up as new or did you restore it from a previous backup/iPad? I've actually noticed more bugs on my iPhone 13 Pro than my iPad. For what its worth, my iPhone was restored from my iPhone 12 Pro, and my iPad was set up as new.

Reactions: slplss and Tagbert

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
I cannot say that I've experienced any of the bugs that you are describing on my 11" M1 iPad Pro. Was your iPad set up as new or did you restore it from a previous backup/iPad? I've actually noticed more bugs on my iPhone 13 Pro than my iPad. For what its worth, my iPhone was restored from my iPhone 12 Pro, and my iPad was set up as new.
Hmmm. Both my iPad and iPhone were set up from backup, but I don’t really have any complaints about my iPhone.

I’m definitely getting to the point where I think about selling the iPad every day, so I’ll try to set it up as a brand new device to see if that helps things.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hello,

As title says. I mean it’s just unbelievable, we’re 3 months or so away from WWDC and iPadOS 15 is just an absolute mess.

I love using both my macbook and my iPhone and have generally very smooth experiences with both of them, but iPadOS is just a complete disaster. I genuinely cant go 10 minutes without experiencing a bug, whether it’s the constant messages scrolling by themselves bug, or multiple safari bugs whether UI based or tabs breaking, apps crashing, battery indicator freezing, and so many more that i’m not even going to spend the time to mention here.

Worst of all this is all happening on an M1 iPad Pro, i.e. what’s supposed to be the best of the best in tablet offerings from Apple. But we’ve been waiting so long for issues to be fixed and it just gets more ridiculous day but day.

iPadOS, not only being severely limiting and underpowered for the M1 hardware, but also a complete utter buggy mess, is single-handedly constantly making me reconsider selling the iPad. The only glimmer of hope that keeps me using the iPad is the hope that Apple will finally stop ignoring and neglecting the iPad and that they’ll get their **** together!!

Thoughts? Does anyone else here have a proportionally worse experience on iPadOS compared to the other Apple operating systems?

We have 3 iPads - 2 iPad Pro 9.7” (original) and 1 iPad Pro 12.9” (2021) all on iPadOS 15.

The Apple only bugs I’ve had were….. actually - none. It’s been rock solid.

HBO Max will sometimes require a restart if I come back to a stream a day later, and Zoom sometimes won’t refresh the current meetings. Aside from that Safari has been stable, no freezing, no nothing of any description.

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I've left my Air2 on 14.8.1 and it works well for me. Never liked the changes iPadOS 15 introduced so I've avoided it. I'm planning on replacing my trusty Air2 with a 11 M1 Pro so I'll have no choice and will deal with the changes eventually (maybe I'll hold out until iPadOS 16 drops).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
No problems on my 11 and 12.9 Pros. Haven't experience a single bug.

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Hello,

Have you tried reset all content and settings and restore from backup? My iPad 11/M1 and Air 3 (both Wi-Fi version) have almost zero issue in iPadOS 15. Much more stable than on my iPhone.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I disagree.
iOS 11 was worse because it only ran ok on iPhone X‘s, but was running terribly on every other iPhone and iPad.
macOS Mojave was worse, in that it was a buggy mess for everyone using anything from a MacBook Air all the way to the top of the line iMacs and MacBook Pro‘s.

All that aside, I of course agree with you. iPadOS is limiting because its feature set is lacking, and stability/quality is laughable. What’s an iPad „Pro“ worth if it doesn’t run either software that allows professionals to use their device to its fullest potential, nor make normal use seamless or issue free? It’s nothing more than a glorified iPod Plus without a headphone jack, might as well be used as a chopping board.

But, considering we haven’t heard (m)any rumors about iOS/iPadOS 16 or macOS 13, I expect them to be issue-fixing-focused updates. Usually when it seems Apple has abandoned something they actually did or they are working on an update for it.
And I don’t see them quitting software.
Here is hoping ??

Reactions: SYCAMOREGRAD

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It’s safari for me. Won’t render a website properly until you pull down and do a refresh.
This is one of the websites it happens on.

Also if you go back a page in safari, it always goes to the top of the page and not where you were.
Do you have specific websites that have this problem? I'd like to try them as an independent test. I haven't seen any websites that consistently have problems.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
iOS 13.0 says 'Hi'
11 and 13 were total disasters on my devices. With 11 I had a new top end max or plus iphone(whatever they were called back then) and the latest iPad Pro, I believe that was the original. The os was terrible at release, slightly blurred screen on the ipad, multiple problems on that brand new phone that it shipped with. Fortunately a lot was fixed with 11.0.1, but it really wasn’t stable until 11.1. Not a good feeling when you just bought a new phone at that price level. 13 was about as bad. 15 really has been very smooth from the get go. Some minor issues, most with Safari for me, but nothing of any real consequence. Battery life has been outstanding. Some things don’t work the way I’d like but based on the very few responses I’ve gotten when I’ve posted about some of them they don’t really seem to be a problem. There still are a couple Safari issues involving syncing but apparently don’t affect that many.

Reactions: Populus and AdamNC

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I agree that iOS 15.x is okay but iPadOS 15.x blows chunks. It is the Windows 8 of the iPad world. Apple’s iPadOS developer team must be rotten to the Apple core and morons.
Do you really think that's true? That's sad. These people come to work every day just like you and I do. I'm sure it would be hurtful to hear someone attack them personally for what you perceive as deficiencies in the software they produce.

I have no issues with iPadOS other than I wish it had better file management capabilities. But, like David Sparks, I have come to accept that Apple simply does not intend for the current generation of iPads to be laptops-lite and does not intend to give them capabilities to be that. Guess what? Its their product and they can do what they want with it.

Last edited:

SpecMode

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
NorCal
Yep, I concur that iPadOS leaves plenty to be desired as far as features go (current iPad hardware is utter overkill for what iPadOS currently has to offer), but as far as quality and reliability are concerned, it is no worse than any other current-generation Apple OS. Meanwhile, I still remember earlier iPad software releases with frequent rotation bugs, app crashes, and other annoying issues that have either been long resolved or happen with much less frequency; sure, iPadOS 15 isn't perfect, but it's nowhere near being the worst release ever for the platform.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
While MacRumors, especially the Forms, are know to leak memory and end up with a large memory allocation after sitting there for a long time, just loading MacRumors fresh on an M1 in Safari should be fine in iOS, iPadOs, and MacOS. I have not run into any problems.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Give someone an original iPad Air for half an hour and they stop whining about iOS 15.

Not sure what the hell everyone is doing on their iPads but the only problems I seem to have consistently are with third party apps which appear to be universally written by drunken morons. But that's the same as on Windows, Linux and anything I wrote too.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Give someone an original iPad Air for half an hour and they stop whining about iOS 15.

Not sure what the hell everyone is doing on their iPads but the only problems I seem to have consistently are with third party apps which appear to be universally written by drunken morons. But that's the same as on Windows, Linux and anything I wrote too.
Have to completely agree. And I have an original iPad Air. These days primarily use it to play calming sleep sounds on a timer at night. My M1 12.9 iPP and Magic Keyboard has essentially replaced my MacBook Pro laptop. For what I need and use it for it does 99.999% of what the laptop does. If those posters above have a very inadequate experience with their iPads, it’s not because of iOS 15, it’s because they bought the wrong device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.