Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoplis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
With the new sidebar in Safari when in landscape I go into into my bookmarks and I loose the ability to hide the sidebar without having to back all the way out to the first page of the sidebar. In portrait the hide/show button stays. Either I’m missing something or this is terrible for anyone that organises their bookmarks into folders.
Am I missing something or does Apple just not want me to use bookmarks anymore?

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
With the new sidebar in Safari when in landscape I go into into my bookmarks and I loose the ability to hide the sidebar without having to back all the way out to the first page of the sidebar. In portrait the hide/show button stays. Either I’m missing something or this is terrible for anyone that organises their bookmarks into folders.
Completely agree. I’m in a bookmark which is nested about four folders deep. To get into the bookmark takes an age - fair enough, its a design choice - but worst than that, once I have opened the bookmark, to make the sidebar go away, I have to click all the way back four times to get the “hide sidebar” icon to appear. That’s just silly. We need to have the ability to close the sidebar at any point.

iltwtv

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
Tap and hold the back button and you get a contextual menu. Tap Safari to get to main sidebar view. Tap the upper left icon to hide the sidebar. If you’re in the favorites bookmarks, the back button text depends on the menu level. This not ideal, but does save some taps.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Downloaded iPad iOS15 yesterday. I like it so far, but is the only way to access your favorite bookmarks buried in the sidebar? There must be a simpler way and if not Apple definitely needs to fix this asap. Just checking before I submit feedback, as I may be missing something. :)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I like it so far, but is the only way to access your favorite bookmarks buried in the sidebar? There must be a simpler way and if not Apple definitely needs to fix this asap.
I really hate new Safari but if all you want is to access your favorite sites you can opt to always show that in Settings/Safari.

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I really hate new Safari but if all you want is to access your favorite sites you can opt to always show that in Settings/Safari.
Thank you. That was a great idea! I still hope they simplify it like they used too and not bury things. :)

avonord

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Thank you. That was a great idea! I still hope they simplify it like they used too and not bury things. :)

I just upgraded today and found this out. I hate this!! Lol.

I think you guys meant moving all the bookmarks to under favourites and then turn on the “show favourite bar” in settings/safari. That’s a good alternative for me.

phoenix_bladen

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I just downloaded ipados15 and I hate this as well as pointed out by OP

Very frustrating…… at very least they should give us a button to hide the sidebar easily

Reactions: TracerAnalog

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Tap and hold the back button and you get a contextual menu. Tap Safari to get to main sidebar view. Tap the upper left icon to hide the sidebar. If you’re in the favorites bookmarks, the back button text depends on the menu level. This not ideal, but does save some taps.
That still takes three taps, it used to take one tap in iPadOS 14. Plus when you close the sidebar it forgets where you were. If you happen to be several levels into folders, then every time you open the sidebar it will take many taps to get back to where you were in the bookmarks. In iPadOS 14 it remembered where you were in bookmarks and opened to that level in the folder. So in iPadOS 14 it only took one tap to open the sidebar, and one tap to close it. This is another case of Apple’s programmers not using the apps they program. If they actually used Safari, they would never have made it this labor intensive to navigate through.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just updated iPad today and yes, this is a very unwelcome change. Searched it to find this thread. Why, Apple, why?

bydandie

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
So, it’s really interesting that the Hide sidebar‘ option was available throughout the process of browsing for bookmarks in iPadOS 14 and even in Safari 15 on macOS. Maybe the only way to address this is to raise similar bug reports? This is what I posted:

“On Safari in iPadOS 14 and Safari 15 on macOS, selecting the bookmarks menu leaves the ‘Hide sidebar’ option visible. On Safari in iPadOS 15, selecting the bookmarks menu hides the ‘Hide sidebar’ option which means that once you have selected a bookmark you have to click three times just to see the ‘Hid sidebar’ option again, which is really inconvenient.”

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I suggested they change this several times to Apple during Beta testing. Don’t understand why they changed it for the iPhone to make it simpler and not the iPad. Who makes a browser and makes it worse by having bookmarks hidden 3 clicks away?

I have gotten somewhat used to having bookmarks show up when clicking web address, but still so much better just having a bookmark bar with one click. Safari should be consistent across all of Apple’s devices.

phoenix_bladen

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I submitted another suggestion to Apple to bring the bookmarks back in one click. This will be my third time submitting and maybe others could offer that suggestion to Apple too.
Thanks !
What is annoying is the fact they could have allowed the follow ->

1) tap any part of the browser to allow the bookmarks to hide

2) interestingly when you have it in portrait mode then you can do 1) but not in landscape mode. Why did the DEVs think this was a good idea was beyond me.

3) instead of a back button always make the hide sidebar button available so we can just hide it without having to click back 10000 times.

This is making me consider using google chrome until they address it in other update

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Thanks !
What is annoying is the fact they could have allowed the follow ->

1) tap any part of the browser to allow the bookmarks to hide

2) interestingly when you have it in portrait mode then you can do 1) but not in landscape mode. Why did the DEVs think this was a good idea was beyond me.

3) instead of a back button always make the hide sidebar button available so we can just hide it without having to click back 10000 times.

This is making me consider using google chrome until they address it in other update
That is interesting in portrait mode you can do that with the bookmarks. Never realized that, but only us portrait mode for reading newspapers and not browsing. Wonder why they did not do this in landscape mode too, as would have solved my biggest issue with the Safari update.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Reactions: JoeKenda

Cicero101

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
The stuff up with bookmarks management in safari on iPad in landscape mode (how I always use it) is a deal breaker. If it’s not fixed quickly I’m out of here to Firefox which I’ve used happily for eons on my windows laptops.
The switch earlier to a useless menu for reader mode, requiring extra clicks to get to reader mode is irritating enough. This bookmark shambles is impossible.

Reactions: WilliamG and GDF

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The stuff up with bookmarks management in safari on iPad in landscape mode (how I always use it) is a deal breaker. If it’s not fixed quickly I’m out of here to Firefox which I’ve used happily for eons on my windows laptops.
The switch earlier to a useless menu for reader mode, requiring extra clicks to get to reader mode is irritating enough. This bookmark shambles is impossible.
Agreed. I’m completely bewildered by this change on my new iPad Pro. It’s a dreadful UI decision.

avonord

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
That is interesting in portrait mode you can do that with the bookmarks. Never realized that, but only us portrait mode for reading newspapers and not browsing. Wonder why they did not do this in landscape mode too, as would have solved my biggest issue with the Safari update.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Yea, I noticed that too.

For all we know, it could really be a bug.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Yeah. It's amazing how annoying this bug is! It must be a bug, right? RIGHT?
I really, really hope so. Much like the address bar unreadable at times glitch?

Attachments

• 42954F1B-FFB3-4BE2-AF7D-CE6D1C3B0300.png
    42954F1B-FFB3-4BE2-AF7D-CE6D1C3B0300.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
Reactions: chfilm

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014

Against my better judgement I just upgraded to iPadOS 15 and I am in awe of how badly Apple messed this up. An action that previously took two taps now takes SEVEN taps to do the same thing. Unbelievable. It is making Safari almost unusable for me. Lost for words.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.