Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kht410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Has anyone tried playing around with iPadOS 16 on the iPad mini 6 (or any compatible iPad mini) ?

I’m interested to see the display scaling setting. I’ve always found the UI way too small on the mini. Would love to see the bigger scaling on the iPad mini screen size.

If anyone can share some screenshots to compare the default UI and the bigger UI on the mini, I’d really appreciate it! :)

Lacos

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Germany
Really? What has scaling to do with the M1 processor?
Oh man, thinking about returning my mini 6. Seems all new features are coming only for m1 and higher.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
This has been my hold off from buying the iPad mini. I was waiting for iPadOS 16 to see if they added any display scaling settings.

Like kht410 said the UI is just too small and feels off. It's somewhat acceptable for those with 20/10 young kid eyes.

Man I really need to upgrade my iPad Air version 1, getting long in the tooth. The only iPad that speaks to me is the mini, but it is a no go as is for me.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
This has been my hold off from buying the iPad mini. I was waiting for iPadOS 16 to see if they added any display scaling settings.

Like kht410 said the UI is just too small and feels off. It's somewhat acceptable for those with 20/10 young kid eyes.

Man I really need to upgrade my iPad Air version 1, getting long in the tooth. The only iPad that speaks to me is the mini, but it is a no go as is for me.

Exactly this. I absolutely love the form factor of the mini - but the current UI elements, touch points, etc just seem physically too small. Widgets really feel too small to be useful.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Actually it looks like the scaling feature is just for the 12.9 M1. 11's don't get it, but the 11's don't need it anyway. The scaling feature seem to just to allow the setting of "more space" which would make the Mini even worse.

A shame, as I know many that share the same fault of the mini and would get it in a heartbeat if that was corrected.

Reactions: sunking101

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Actually it looks like the scaling feature is just for the 12.9 M1. 11's don't get it, but the 11's don't need it anyway. The scaling feature seem to just to allow the setting of "more space" which would make the Mini even worse.

A shame, as I know many that share the same fault of the mini and would get it in a heartbeat if that was corrected.

M1 Pro 11 and I’m guessing Air 5 get it. I’ve tried it on the Pro 11. Keyboard and UI’s kinda buggy though.

kht410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Exactly this. I absolutely love the form factor of the mini - but the current UI elements, touch points, etc just seem physically too small. Widgets really feel too small to be useful.

Yeah it’s too bad. The form factor is so good.

Thank you RUI, So just M1. I guess hold out for another year for the Mini m1.
I doubt they will give the mini an M1. The M1 exclusive features like Stage Manager would be awful on the mini form factor.

I guess we just have to live with the fact that the mini’s UI sizing is never going to change :(

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, if you want the mini I’d say get the 6th gen. Given they put an A15 in it at launch I bet they won’t update it for a few years at least.

Also don’t forget, the M1 cores are based on the A14, and the M2 on the A15.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah, if you want the mini I’d say get the 6th gen. Given they put an A15 in it at launch I bet they won’t update it for a few years at least.

Also don’t forget, the M1 cores are based on the A14, and the M2 on the A15.
Yesh i think a few years is about right. Think apple wanted the current design, usb c and A15 on the device to move forward with.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Thank you RUI, So just M1. I guess hold out for another year for the Mini m1.

Well I caved and ended up getting the mini 6. UI scaling is not great and it looks like iPadOS 16 ain’t fixing it.

But…So far I have been able to adjust each app to where it is perfectly fine to use, and haven’t run into any issues yet. The Home Screen scaling still is a bummer.

Reactions: profets

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Well I caved and ended up getting the mini 6. UI scaling is not great and it looks like iPadOS 16 ain’t fixing it.

But…So far I have been able to adjust each app to where it is perfectly fine to use, and haven’t run into any issues yet. The Home Screen scaling still is a bummer.
I found it ok with apps I use, website browsing was the issue, just a bigger 13 max.

Reactions: Doc115

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
a few unknown crash

Battery life seem quite okay (brand new ) .

Browsing - abit lag compare to my old ipad mini 5

Gaming - genshin impact not sure much diff but smooth

** a bit weird the brain keep try to press home button.
** sound up and down location a bit odd and finger scan is fast. ** apple should implement this on iphone se so more screen size.

Doc115

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2022
Has anyone tried playing around with iPadOS 16 on the iPad mini 6 (or any compatible iPad mini) ?

I’m interested to see the display scaling setting. I’ve always found the UI way too small on the mini. Would love to see the bigger scaling on the iPad mini screen size.

If anyone can share some screenshots to compare the default UI and the bigger UI on the mini, I’d really appreciate it! :)
I have been playing with iPadOS 16 as a developer. Just FYI, the generation 6 iPad mini isn’t built on the M1 chip set.
I have yet to try all the supposed new functions on the M1 iPad Pros in the house, as some are only available if you also have the keyboard attached. I have 2 non-M1 iPad Pros hooked up to OS 16 and they are not triggering the scaling function. As soon as I get it up, I’ll report a little. Unfortunately, looks like, as others have said, only the M1s can take advantage.

Last edited:

Doc115

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2022
I have been playing with iPadOS 16 as a developer. Just FYI, the generation 6 iPad mini IS built on the M1 chip set.
I have yet to try all the supposed new functions, as some are only available if you also have the keyboard attached. I have 2 non-M1 iPad Pros hooked up to OS 16 and they are not triggering the scaling function. As soon as I get it up, I’ll report a little.
PS: I am a newbie to being able to post. However, I have been following many forums here almost from the beginning. I work with Mac Pros (my wife’s recording studio runs on 4, including a “trash can”), MacBook Pros (my main machine is a M1 17”) and have one of nearly all the IPad versions ever released. I develop apps for education, and use iPad Pros to administer my college (college president). I am not a super-user compared to many, but I am experienced in field use of these devices. I will try to be a positive addition to the forums. Cheers!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have been playing with iPadOS 16 as a developer. Just FYI, the generation 6 iPad mini isn’t built on the M1 chip set.
I have yet to try all the supposed new functions on the M1 iPad Pros in the house, as some are only available if you also have the keyboard attached. I have 2 non-M1 iPad Pros hooked up to OS 16 and they are not triggering the scaling function. As soon as I get it up, I’ll report a little. Unfortunately, looks like, as others have said, only the M1s can take advantage.

You enable scaling manually in Settings. It doesn’t need a keyboard attached in order to work.

As mentioned though, it’s only available for M1. I tried it on the 11” but everything looked so small so I quickly went back to Standard mode. I reckon it might be more useful to me on the 12.9” but I’m not willing to run the beta on that since I need that one to be stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.