Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My wife’s older IPad Pro was eligible for upgrading to iPadOS 17; the updates appeared under Settings.
No updates appeared for 16 after 16.7.2 until sometime in the last month or so. Now the ONLY update available is 16.7.5; 17.3.1 isn’t an option under Settings.

Why is it not showing an update to 17.3.1 being available? Will I be able to update it to 17.3.x if I update it to 16.7.5 first? (I know I could just try it, but would like to know what the possibilities are!)
16.7.5 was only made available to devices that do not support iOS/iPadOS 17, so if that device is being offered the 16.7.5 update, it can't run iPadOS 17.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So your choice is update to 17 and risk edge-case breakage, for which there isn't a rollback option, or sit on an insecure OS version (with that passive-aggressive red dot on the setting app icon).
That’s your choice with any software update ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iPadOS 17 is working fine. You’re worrying over a tempest in a teapot.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Many thanks!
Again, though, if the iPad was being offered 16.7.5 in Software Update, it can't run 17.x. 16.7.5 is only for the 9.7" Pro and first generation 12.9" iPad Pros.

bw44

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
16.7.5 was only made available to devices that do not support iOS/iPadOS 17, so if that device is being offered the 16.7.5 update, it can't run iPadOS 17.
Oops! seems to be another opinion on this. I’ll give it a try and after I update to 16.7.5, see if it gives me the option of 17.3.x. Will post the result.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Oops! seems to be another opinion on this. I’ll give it a try and after I update to 16.7.5, see if it gives me the option of 17.3.x. Will post the result.
Exactly what model iPad is involved?
On this page: Apple security releases - Apple Support
You can see that 16.7.5 applies only to these models: "iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad 5th generation, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, and iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st generation".

bw44

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Exactly what model iPad is involved?
On this page: Apple security releases - Apple Support
You can see that 16.7.5 applies only to these models: "iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad 5th generation, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, and iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1st generation".

You’re right. I just upgraded the machine to 16.7.5. What confused me was I thought I remembered seeing the option to upgrade to 17.x.x in Settings on that device as well as my iPad and phone. My wife’s machine is an iPad Pro 9.7-inch. Obviously I mis-remembered. Should have checked the support page.

Thanks for your (and darngooddesign’s) help.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You’re right. I just upgraded the machine to 16.7.5. What confused me was I thought I remembered seeing the option to upgrade to 17.x.x in Settings on that device as well as my iPad and phone. My wife’s machine is an iPad Pro 9.7-inch. Obviously I mis-remembered. Should have checked the support page.

Thanks for your (and darngooddesign’s) help.
Yeah, I have that iPad and it’s on 16 which is fine; it’s a nice os.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just noticed my iPad Pro (current gen 11") hasn't been receiving the security updates for iOS 16 since 16.7.2, and they're not listed as available in settings. I was under the impression that Apple had changed policy to stop using security updates as a way to push people to newer full-version OS updates.

Is that not the case? Or, is there a nuance to it I hadn't discovered?
Apple will generally release one or two security updates to the immediately previous iOS and iPadOS release following the release of a new one. But it usually stops doing so by the time the first big .1 release for the new OS comes out. They'll occasionally release further updates to that older OS for devices that are incompatible for newer OSes, but that's typically only for really serious security holes that need patching. For devices capable of running the latest, they'll just offer that instead.

Reactions: Reverend Benny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.