Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
So, in the iPadOS 17.2 Beta, there’s a new setting for “AirPlay Receiver”. Underneath in little print, it says “stream or share content from Apple Vision Pro to your iPad.” Does this mean that the AirPlay Receiver function only works between a Vision Pro and the iPad? Or does this also work between an iPhone and iPad, or two iPads? I’d appreciate any info anyone has on this if they can test two devices running the beta.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
Any updates on this?
So far I haven’t gotten this to work between an iPhone on the public version of iOS 17.1 and an iPad on the current beta of iPadOS 17.2. But it could possibly be because I’m using a device on 17.1, so I’d be interested in seeing what happens if someone tries with two 17.2 devices. I’d think even if it doesn’t currently work, it would make sense for it to work eventually.

Reactions: outlawarth

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
So far I haven’t gotten this to work between an iPhone on the public version of iOS 17.1 and an iPad on the current beta of iPadOS 17.2. But it could possibly be because I’m using a device on 17.1, so I’d be interested in seeing what happens if someone tries with two 17.2 devices. I’d think even if it doesn’t currently work, it would make sense for it to work eventually.
Thanks. I am also interested in this. There’s gotta be someone with the latest betas on all of their devices.

Reactions: Kal Madda

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
I have the latest 17.2 beta on both my 14 pro and 2018 iPad Pro and I am not able to Airplay to my iPad from my phone. It does not show up in the list of devices, even with AirPlay Receiver and “Everyone” selected.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
I have the latest 17.2 beta on both my 14 pro and 2018 iPad Pro and I am not able to Airplay to my iPad from my phone. It does not show up in the list of devices, even with AirPlay Receiver and “Everyone” selected.
Thank you for testing this, I really appreciate it. Hopefully Apple decides to expand this feature. It looks exactly the same as AirPlay Receiver on macOS, I’m going to be annoyed if it only ever works with a Vision Pro, because I don’t plan on getting one any time soon. It’s too niche for me. I think it would make a lot more sense if Apple expands this to work with all Apple devices, not just Vision Pro. Especially on an iPad, which has a screen either close to or the same size as a MacBook.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2022
AirPlay Receiver setting on the public version of iPadOS 17.2 still doesn’t allow me to mirror my iPhone’s display. I really hope they make AirPlay Receiver work like the AirPlay Receiver setting on macOS. The setting literally has all the same toggles, but currently it’s limited to only the Vision Pro I believe, which I think would be silly if that’s the only device they ever support with it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I noticed this on a flight where I had some TV shows downloaded to my phone but not my iPad. Tried endlessly to airplay from my phone to my iPad to watch on a bigger screen. Glad I’m not crazy and this is just not supported.

Reactions: Kal Madda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.