Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Looking like some other 10.5 Pro people are getting good results, so I may go ahead and update.

Anyone seeing differences with the new dot releases that came out after 17 released?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Okay so you found what caused it, reported it, publicised it. So how about updating your first post, change your wallpaper and move on?
I’ve only just had it confirmed by another helpful person that this is a replicable bug.

You chose not to help, but are now strangely trying to tell me what to do. I think it best if you take your own advice and move on from this thread yourself. Have a good evening.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I’ve only just had it confirmed by another helpful person that this is a replicable bug.

You chose not to help, but are now strangely trying to tell me what to do. I think it best if you take your own advice and move on from this thread yourself. Have a good evening.
Yesterday I answered the question you asked me within minutes. Not sure what else I was supposed to do.

I just think you are unfairly rubbishing iOS 17 by complaining about a wallpaper.

• Angry
Reactions: klasma

Vivekanand B V

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
I'm on 6th gen, iPadOS 17 Notes very slow to load especially on lengthy entries... It takes a second or 2 to load vs iPadOS 16 which is almost instantaneous...

Was hoping for a beta 17.1 to try out soon before the window to downgrade to 16.7 closes...
How is it running now after 17.0.1? Would you recommend the update? Ive got an iPad 6th gen running on iPadOs 16, which I mainly use for studying, and the pdf features seem pretty neat… is it worth the upgrade?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Yep, the App Switcher is stuttering on my iPad Pro 10.5”, like ProMotion is getting disabled.
I’ve submitted a bug report to Apple. Hopefully gets fixed in next update.
This issue has now been fixed in iPadOS 17.2 (21C62) final release.
Good to see Apple now optimising for older hardware in the iPadOS/iOS 17 release schedule.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

iYigit

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Absolutely lol. My iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 is basically trash right now. It has Promotion technology which means it has 120 fps screen but thanks to iPadOS 17 it’s literally unusable.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Absolutely lol. My iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 is basically trash right now. It has Promotion technology which means it has 120 fps screen but thanks to iPadOS 17 it’s literally unusable.
“Literally unusable” means “exactly unusable” which means the same as “unusable”. Do you really mean to say that?

Reactions: DaPhox

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
ser
its because apple ramped up production of new ipad models 😅
Seriously though I am keen to understand what is going on here. My iPad Pro 10.5 is running as sweet as ever on iOS 17.2. Others are reporting the same while some say their device has tanked.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I have a 2nd generation iPad pro 12.9 inch running 16.7.2 and finally running right. Not going into 17's since it might just brick this iPad.

Reactions: Eithanius

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Been using iPadOS 17 on Ipad Pro 10.5, iPad air 3 (family) and my own M1 pro without any problems.
What kind of issues are you guys experiencing since you consider it unusable?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I
On the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, battery life is abhorrent.
My family don't share that experience. Maybe its app related, peripheral related, HW related and/or settings thats differ.
The 10.5 pro is the 512gb cellular version (not using the cellular currently) and the iPad air 3 is non cellular 64GB.

Wouldn't call anyone of them power users, mostly webbrowsing, the occasional game, streaming movies along with the build in apps.

They did go straight to 17.1 I think and on from that, not 100% sure tho, could have been 17.0.3 too. But they are running 17.2 now. Haven't talked to them much after the update so not sure what the latest news are after that update.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I

My family don't share that experience. Maybe its app related, peripheral related, HW related and/or settings thats differ.
The 10.5 pro is the 512gb cellular version (not using the cellular currently) and the iPad air 3 is non cellular 64GB.

Wouldn't call anyone of them power users, mostly webbrowsing, the occasional game, streaming movies along with the build in apps.

They did go straight to 17.1 I think and on from that, not 100% sure tho, could have been 17.0.3 too. But they are running 17.2 now. Haven't talked to them much after the update so not sure what the latest news are after that update.
The screen-on time numbers I’ve seen are abhorrent. Expectations obviously vary, so maybe for some people 4-5 hours of SOT would be fine, for me it isn’t even close.

I can tell you that regardless of whether they are happy, the days of excellent battery life for that model are long gone, they’re dead ever since iOS 10 was lost on that iPad.

Reactions: pdoherty

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
The screen-on time numbers I’ve seen are abhorrent. Expectations obviously vary, so maybe for some people 4-5 hours of SOT would be fine, for me it isn’t even close.

I can tell you that regardless of whether they are happy, the days of excellent battery life for that model are long gone, they’re dead ever since iOS 10 was lost on that iPad.
Bear in mind that the battery in your 10.5 Pro is going to be 6 years old. Regardless of OS it is never going to achieve the “up to 10 hours” that Apple claimed at launch.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Bear in mind that the battery in your 10.5 Pro is going to be 6 years old. Regardless of OS it is never going to achieve the “up to 10 hours” that Apple claimed at launch.
I disagree, this is a common myth. Battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated enough. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is even older. That iPad got 14 hours of SOT with light use on iOS 9. Back in 2019, it was forced into iOS 12 thanks to the A9 activation bug on iOS 9. It now gets 10-11 hours, and it has gotten that ever since it was updated. Original battery, of course, I don’t replace batteries.

Even then, some people have replaced the battery on the 10.5-inch iPad Pros and it’s still a shadow of what it was.

I am 100% sure that if the device were on iOS 10, it would easily surpass 10 hours unless the usage was heavy, regardless of battery health.

This is a common myth for a very simple reason: nobody stays behind. People update, updates increase power requirements, degraded batteries can’t cope, so when people replace batteries, the device improves. Obviously, it’s nowhere close to the original version of iOS, but people think battery health matters because they see an improvement: partly true. Health only matters if you update far enough. But the main point is that people don’t know because they update through anything and everything. Apple pushes a million major updates which absolutely obliterate devices and people keep pressing the update button, so of course the 7-year-old iPad will struggle, when it could be happily coasting on iOS 10.

Especially on iPads, stay behind and battery life will never be poor. iPads’ large batteries and original iOS versions’ efficiency are too good. Thing is, on the current roster of “old but relatively usable iPads”, there’s no device that hasn’t been obliterated. A9 and A10 devices have suffered tremendously, perhaps unlike any other model in terms of battery life.

Like I said, after Apple forced my 9.7-inch iPad Pro into iOS 12, I have managed to keep it there. It isn’t perfect on this iOS version, but it’s way better than any updated 9.7-inch or 10.5-inch iPad Pro. Unlike those, it’s usable.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
I disagree, this is a common myth. Battery health is irrelevant if the device isn’t updated enough. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is even older. That iPad got 14 hours of SOT with light use on iOS 9. Back in 2019, it was forced into iOS 12 thanks to the A9 activation bug on iOS 9. It now gets 10-11 hours, and it has gotten that ever since it was updated. Original battery, of course, I don’t replace batteries.
You are disagreeing and suggesting that my iPad Pro 10.5 after 698 charge cycles and battery capacity down to 74% (5912mAh) should still give me Apple’s theoretical 10 hours of screen time. Sorry, but you are arguing against physics and basic maths.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You are disagreeing and suggesting that my iPad Pro 10.5 after 698 charge cycles and battery capacity down to 74% (5912mAh) should still give me Apple’s theoretical 10 hours of screen time. Sorry, but you are arguing against physics and basic maths.
Absolutely, on iOS 10 it would. I’m not saying batteries don’t degrade. I’m saying that this degradation’s impact can be minimal provided that the iOS version is efficient.

Why do people mention a gigantic SOT degradation once the battery degrades? Because the timeframe coincides: enough updates coupled with degraded batteries is a recipe for disaster.

7-year-old iPhone 6s on iOS 10. 63% health, original battery.

Here you go:
88C65564-7842-448A-A9B7-87F6EAB2277C.png

An iPhone 6s on iOS 15 with 100% health wouldn’t get anywhere close to that.

• Love
Reactions: foliovision

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Absolutely, on iOS 10 it would. I’m not saying batteries don’t degrade. I’m saying that this degradation’s impact can be minimal provided that the iOS version is efficient.

Why do people mention a gigantic SOT degradation once the battery degrades? Because the timeframe coincides: enough updates coupled with degraded batteries is a recipe for disaster.

Here you go:
View attachment 2327840

Probably because it would actually have functioning apps, for one. A single data point is also not conclusive.

• Haha

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016

Here you go:
View attachment 2327840
Sorry I thought we were talking iPad Pro here. Why throw a throttled iPhone 6s into the equation?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Sorry I thought we were talking iPad Pro here. Why throw a throttled iPhone 6s into the equation?
My iPhone 6s is on an iOS 10 version that’s earlier than the one that introduced throttling, so mine isn’t throttled, but okay.

The point is that the iPad would get 10 hours if it were on iOS 10, provided usage accompanies that, of course, even with 74% health. An updated one will not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.