Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
iPad OS 17 works very nicely on my personal 8 (17.3) and my office-supplied 9 (17.2 as it’s corporately managed). Battery life is good on both. The office 9 sees a lot of use for MS apps (Word, Outlook, Teams) and notetaking. I run it hooked up to a 24 inch HP monitor as an alternative to my meh-tactic HP laptop. My own iPad is used for GarageBand, the usual media consumption and as a Zwift head unit.

I have no option but to update my office supplied 9 because it will cease to connect to our corporate system unless is in compliance with the security policies. We’re usually one step behind on point updates to allow for internal testing.
Sounds like you're a user in my workplace :), but i've set it up so that users can install later versions if they want too.
Just curious, how are you hooking it up to the external screen? And is it "mirrored" screen you get then?

If you do like to hook up the iPad to an external screen, se if you can get a newer iPad with USB-C such as the Air or pro, they work really well using external screens.

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
Sounds like you're a user in my workplace :), but i've set it up so that users can install later versions if they want too.
Just curious, how are you hooking it up to the external screen? And is it "mirrored" screen you get then?

If you do like to hook up the iPad to an external screen, se if you can get a newer iPad with USB-C such as the Air or pro, they work really well using external screens.
I have the Apple Lightning to HDMI connector. It works great - black side bars on the mirrored screen notwithstanding - but I find I need to connect power otherwise iPad will drain fast. It's only screen mirroring and you can't switch off the iPad screen but that's ok. Add a Magic Keyboard and Mouse and effectively you've got a very good computing solution.

I'm hard of hearing so I stream audio either over a special device (Phonak Roger, using a proprietary wireless connection) or plain ol' Bluetooth. Interestingly, I note that Teams calls within my organisation can be mirrored and sound is all fine. External orgs on the call, there's a restriction as iPad sees it as effectively 'recording' the call. Time with the monitor is split between my iPad(s) and the venerable MacBook I use for basic everyday computing.

My employers (public sector) are unlikely to ever go with anything other than the entry-level option. We definitely don't do Bring Your Own Device (long ago I was seconded to an external organisation where BYOD was their norm, so using my own kit at work was superb). At some point we will be given a refresh of tech and get a minor bump to maybe iPad 10...or whatever comes out this year.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Was messin around with an iPad Pro 10.5 last night, mostly streaming video and checking out how it was on 17.3 in terms of lag and so on and can report that it is a good experience. Hard to compare cuz I don't have numbers and it isn't being used much but I would say its on par or better compared to IPadOS 16 in terms of responsiveness and battery.
Very little drain of the battery when its in standby (as it should) and at least streaming video didn't kill the battery.

Now this device is smeared with shiteapps, but have turned off background app refresh.
The device is pretty stationary as well, connected to the same WIFI6 network and aren't moving around much, external keyboard is attached to the smart connector, but as it isn't being used much I guess it doesn't affect battery.

Now the A10X CPU has some vulnerabilities that has been patched in later iPadOS, and with meltdown and spectre fresh in mind I assumed the security patches would cut CPU performance. Maybe it has but it isn't something that I can say I notice. Maybe CPU measuring software tell a different story though.

Happy to see an older fella still delivering as it should, hopefully Apple will keep supporting it and make sure iPadOS 18 works well with the hardware.🙂

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Was messin around with an iPad Pro 10.5 last night, mostly streaming video and checking out how it was on 17.3 in terms of lag and so on and can report that it is a good experience. Hard to compare cuz I don't have numbers and it isn't being used much but I would say its on par or better compared to IPadOS 16 in terms of responsiveness and battery.
Very little drain of the battery when its in standby (as it should) and at least streaming video didn't kill the battery.

Now this device is smeared with shiteapps, but have turned off background app refresh.
The device is pretty stationary as well, connected to the same WIFI6 network and aren't moving around much, external keyboard is attached to the smart connector, but as it isn't being used much I guess it doesn't affect battery.

Now the A10X CPU has some vulnerabilities that has been patched in later iPadOS, and with meltdown and spectre fresh in mind I assumed the security patches would cut CPU performance. Maybe it has but it isn't something that I can say I notice. Maybe CPU measuring software tell a different story though.

Happy to see an older fella still delivering as it should, hopefully Apple will keep supporting it and make sure iPadOS 18 works well with the hardware.🙂
Can you share a battery screenshot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.